Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 PM   #43
John_B

Drives: 2020 WRX. 2002 C5Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
This might seem a little harsh, I apologize. I’m just trying to expound.

OP, you keep on talking about street racing and power. You say you don’t care anymore, but your posts prove that’s not true, because your replies prove you’re still hung up on horsepower. The Mustang is definitely the right car for you.

I don’t give a crap about that stuff, so I bought a 1LE. If you have no plans to track it, a 1LE is a complete waste for a person like you. It’s a handling car first and foremost, and designed to be exceptional on track for its cost- and maintain warranty- as long as it stays stock.

The step up to me of an SS 1LE would be a GT350. That engine and those Recaros are serious! It is a great canvas for the track. A step up from that would be a ZL1 1LE.

Because I value handling, I wouldn’t walk across the street to take a dump on a GT. Their interiors are garbage compared to the GT350, they handle much worse. The Performance Pack 2 is a harsh, tramlining mess that needs a superior tire to barely beat an SS 1LE on track. But the SS drives, brakes, and changes directions infinitely better. Same tire, the SS will beat it on track again, this has been proven.

The GT also has fat man spec Recaros. They’re not as good as the 1LE seats, and don’t hold a candle to the GT350 Recaros.

But all that is moot. You want power and to go fast in a straight line. So the rest of that al falls to the wayside. Because a Coyote is the engine if you want to make power. Get a Mustang.

Not harsh at all, you're entitled to your opinion just like everyone else.

Of course i am hung up on the horsepower, thats the whole point of making this thread to see if i can be convinced/reminded its not everything and get real world experience from the SS owners who maybe had the same dilemma. I dont have time to race anymore, but that doesn’t mean more horsepower wouldn’t be a hell of a lot of fun to drive by myself. Doing a pull onto the highway at 800hp is a lot more fun than in 500hp.

While a 1LE might seem like a waste to you if not ran on a track, its an incredible performance value for a street driven car. I dont go on the track, but i guarantee i drive my car about as hard as you can on the street when given the opportunity. I want bigger brakes, i want recaros, the suede/alcantara is very appealing to me and something i would of changed on the mustang. The splitter and black accents on the outside of the car. The nicer looking wheels and better/bigger tires. NPP exhaust. The MRC and better suspension and other things I’m probably forgetting... all of that for 7k is a steal when you realize that its still a cheaper car than the mustang with recaros (which aren’t as good) not to mention the better interior as you said.

So yes the horsepower is literally the only thing holding me back, as i said many times which is why I’m “hung up on it”. There are a whole lot more positives to the Camaro than there are to the mustang. Your same argument for the 1LE not being used on a track being a waste, can be said for the 800hp mustang on the street. How often will all that power be used? And for an inferior car in all other aspects.

To put simply, if i ONLY wanted to go fast in a straight line, I’d buy a fox body and run 8s (or continue with my C5Z that makes 730 on low boost). I want a new modern car that i can drive on weekends and to car shows and enjoy the power/sound/handling/interior. My Z06 feels like a dinosaur compared to my 2020 WRX i drive everyday. Its time for a new toy.
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:01 PM   #44
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
The 6th gen is an amazing chassis. Get in one ASAP, you won’t regret it. Get a 1LE if that’s what you like, you can get magride and a lot of other goodies on a SS as well. There’s a head to head against the M4 in 2016. Holds its own and just a bit more compliant ride and cheaper tires.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #45
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
The 6th gen is an amazing chassis. Get in one ASAP, you won’t regret it. Get a 1LE if that’s what you like, you can get magride and a lot of other goodies on a SS as well. There’s a head to head against the M4 in 2016. Holds its own and just a bit more compliant ride and cheaper tires.
I looked at the SS and once i started adding all the options i wanted, i realized i was basically building a 1LE so it makes more sense to just get the 1LE. I really need to get to a local dealer and drive one.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #46
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Yup if you got to that point it makes sense to just get the 1LE
Old 05-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #47
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Mustang gt for the street for sure

Get the 1le if you never want to get scared or get your blood flowing because it’s handling limits are so high and it’s so controlled.

For those that are played a lot of car racing sims or video games.

-The mustang is the souped up economy car, difficult to control but a lot of fun. Too powerful for the chassis.

-The camaro is the low level race car. Super predictable, amazing handling, chassis and suspension does not match the motor, way underpowered, very few pucker moments or driving mistakes made.

I’d probably still buy a camaro, but I’d have to think about it, mustang will be more fun on the street in the same way a 400whp crx will put a bigger smile on your face than la ferrari. What the hell you going to do with a la ferrari on public roads, floor it on the highway, that’s it.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #48
John_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post

Get the 1le if you never want to get scared or get your blood flowing because it’s handling limits are so high and it’s so controlled.

For those that are played a lot of car racing sims or video games.

-The mustang is the souped up economy car, difficult to control but a lot of fun. Too powerful for the chassis.

-The camaro is the low level race car. Super predictable, amazing handling, chassis and suspension does not match the motor, way underpowered, very few pucker moments or driving mistakes made.

I’d probably still buy a camaro, but I’d have to think about it, mustang will be more fun on the street in the same way a 400whp crx will put a bigger smile on your face than la ferrari. What the hell you going to do with a la ferrari on public roads, floor it on the highway, that’s it.

A 400hp crx would put a smile on my face for maybe 15 seconds during that first pull and then that would be it.

If you go to the store, park your car and don’t look back at it... you bought the wrong car. I would never have fun day in and day out in a crx. The Camaro (Ferrari in your analogy) is the better looking/feeling car overall, a big part of the fun factor regardless of how it’s driven.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #49
John_B

I’m almost 90% sold on the Camaro right now. Another factor is i won’t have to drop 10k right away (supercharger on mustang) i can go slowly in stages and just enjoy it little by little. I’m trying to see if i can find a dealer with a 1LE to go test drive today.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #50
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
...Because I value handling, I wouldn’t walk across the street to take a dump on a GT. Their interiors are garbage compared to the GT350, they handle much worse. The Performance Pack 2 is a harsh, tramlining mess that needs a superior tire to barely beat an SS 1LE on track. But the SS drives, brakes, and changes directions infinitely better. Same tire, the SS will beat it on track again, this has been proven...
This right here. Used to like Challenger for their looks but after owning an RX-8, I start to really value handling as well.

Mustang GT PP2 gives me the impression of having some sub-par ingredient and cooking, and Ford is just trying to cover that by adding a ton of spice and sauce. I mean, they made the PP1 and that still can't compete, so they just dumped more things into the car to make it more competitive. Camaro SS 1LE, on the other hand, is like icing on the top of an already delicious cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post

I would say Mustang is more of a street car except for the engine. Stock for stock, Coyote is more of a revver that doesn't have as much torque as the LT1 in the lower band. It's a bit of like a bigger NA engine vs. a smaller turbo engine in most grocery getter nowadays. The former will have the same power figure, but for daily driving, the torque on the small turbo engine is a lot more accessible.

I had my share of fun revving to 9000 RPM in my RX-8 and I specifically wanted something that's the opposite of it(tons of torque but doesn't rev high) so the LT1 appealed to me more. Besides, OHV V8 is a dying breed while you can buy a DOHC V8 from a lot of other manufacturers.

And on the street, yes, you probably won't touch the limit of an SS 1LE, but that's why I autocross. It's newbie-friendly, doesn't cost much and the risk is relatively low. Great place to learn your car and make friends.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #51
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Test driving ends most debates, especially on these cars. One way or the other.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #52
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Because I value handling, I wouldn’t walk across the street to take a dump on a GT. Their interiors are garbage compared to the GT350, they handle much worse. The Performance Pack 2 is a harsh, tramlining mess that needs a superior tire to barely beat an SS 1LE on track. But the SS drives, brakes, and changes directions infinitely better. Same tire, the SS will beat it on track again, this has been proven.
I really don't understand why this is a thing that is still said anymore about the pp2 barely "beating" the ss 1le for one lap. It posted a faster time at VIR on and different days with different lightning lap editor drivers (2:53.80 vs 2:54.80), that's it, its never posted another faster time.

Randy Post drove them both at Laguna Seca, granted different days, and the ss 1le was faster (1:37.78 vs 1:38.42). Same professional driver and the ss 1le was the faster car, on top of the only other data point comparing the two is the figure 8 which the ss 1le also won (23:60 vs 22:90).

Not to mention even in the lightning lap article they talk about the ss 1le being the better handling car as well as Randy Pobst saying the same. Obviously it won handily with the same tires in the throttle house comparison, but that wasn't oem equipment and really not necessary to make the point.

Car and Driver even had an article pitting the two against each other where they discussed the superior handling of the 1le even though they didn't have track times... did have straight line speed times, in which the ss 1le was also faster.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #53
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Camaro = iceman
Mustang = maverick
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:37 PM   #54
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_B View Post
While a 1LE might seem like a waste to you if not ran on a track, its an incredible performance value for a street driven car. I dont go on the track, but i guarantee i drive my car about as hard as you can on the street when given the opportunity. I want bigger brakes, i want recaros, the suede/alcantara is very appealing to me and something i would of changed on the mustang. The splitter and black accents on the outside of the car. The nicer looking wheels and better/bigger tires. NPP exhaust. The MRC and better suspension and other things I’m probably forgetting... all of that for 7k is a steal when you realize that its still a cheaper car than the mustang with recaros (which aren’t as good) not to mention the better interior as you said.
SS 1LE is a great performance package on top of a world class chassis. With performance limits much higher than can ever be fully exploited on the street. Trust me you will think you just bombed through your favorite corner or off ramp at warp speed and there will be so much more left in this car. It really does need a track to enjoy all of the performance available. Completely agree on the price of 1LE package, it is the performance bargain of the decade if not longer. When all is said and done it's your money so buy what you like and enjoy it. If you do decide on an SS 1LE you have got to do a few HPDEs/Track days to experience what this beast has to offer. You won't regret it.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:38 PM   #55
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I really don't understand why this is a thing that is still said anymore about the pp2 barely "beating" the ss 1le for one lap. It posted a faster time at VIR on and different days with different lightning lap editor drivers (2:53.80 vs 2:54.80), that's it, its never posted another faster time.

Randy Post drove them both at Laguna Seca, granted different days, and the ss 1le was faster (1:37.78 vs 1:38.42). Same professional driver and the ss 1le was the faster car, on top of the only other data point comparing the two is the figure 8 which the ss 1le also won (23:60 vs 22:90).

Not to mention even in the lightning lap article they talk about the ss 1le being the better handling car as well as Randy Pobst saying the same. Obviously it won handily with the same tires in the throttle house comparison, but that wasn't oem equipment and really not necessary to make the point.

Car and Driver even had an article pitting the two against each other where they discussed the superior handling of the 1le even though they didn't have track times... did have straight line speed times, in which the ss 1le was also faster.
^This
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #56
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
SS 1LE is a great performance package on top of a world class chassis. With performance limits much higher than can ever be fully exploited on the street. Trust me you will think you just bombed through your favorite corner or off ramp at warp speed and there will be so much more left in this car. It really does need a track to enjoy all of the performance available. Completely agree on the price of 1LE package, it is the performance bargain of the decade if not longer. When all is said and done it's your money so buy what you like and enjoy it. If you do decide on an SS 1LE you have got to do a few HPDEs/Track days to experience what this beast has to offer. You won't regret it.
A shame to own an ss1le and never track it.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote