Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 PM   #29
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
yes there is always that risk of modding your car while in warranty and having to pay for your own repairs... this is not new information.
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 AM   #30
TOO.BAD

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD15 View Post
Let your car cool completely down before making your first pass and you will
Be 3 tenths faster. Then hot lap it and watch your times go down from there! Anyone that tells you there is no heat issue with these cars has no idea what they are talking about!
No one said there is no heat issue, he just said Chevy did a good job and money is better spent on other mods at my HP level. I do let my car cool down before first run, and in between 3-5 hot laps. My problem is with the launch and the 60' time. Here are 2 separate time slips. I'm #22 & #90.
Attached Images

Mild to Wild Switch, Roto Fab CAI, Big Gulp, Washer Relocation, Ported Throttle Body, Rough Idle Road Race Cam, Supporting Valve Train Upgrade, Dynatech Long Tube Headers Ceramic Coated and High Flow Converters, Injector Dynamics 1025 cc, 22.5%Overdrive Balancer Pulley, Fuel Pump Voltage Booster, Moroso Catch Can.
Jannetty Installed and Tuned.

675 RWHP 630 RWTQ 11.325 1/4 Mile Time @ 124.53 MPH
TOO.BAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 AM   #31
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
My regret on my cam is that I didn't go with a more aggressive one! 657 RWHP seems like a lot until you drive it for a while and realize, I NEED MORE POWER!!!! To much is never enough!
Old 03-31-2017, 07:53 AM   #32
HAMMERHEAD15

Drives: 15 ZL1 red hot A6, 17 ZL1 Black A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO.BAD View Post
No one said there is no heat issue, he just said Chevy did a good job and money is better spent on other mods at my HP level. I do let my car cool down before first run, and in between 3-5 hot laps. My problem is with the launch and the 60' time. Here are 2 separate time slips. I'm #22 & #90.
Just to prove my point my car is stock and with proper cooling I'm running 11.40's. To me it just makes since to solve the cooling issues before you spend a bunch of money and can't use the HP you got.
HAMMERHEAD15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #33
TOO.BAD

Quote:
Just to prove my point my car is stock and with proper cooling I'm running 11.40's. To me it just makes since to solve the cooling issues before you spend a bunch of money and can't use the HP you got.
You have a coupe that weighs 250 lbs. less than my convertible and you have an automatic that takes no skill to drive. How do you consider your car to be stock if you have better cooling. Why does Chevrolet claim that your car does a 12.0 in the 1/4 mile but yours does 11.4's. Are they starting with an over heated car? Sorry but I don't think that you are the smartest guy on this forum.
I'll take my advise from Ted Jannetty. Thank You Very Much!
Mild to Wild Switch, Roto Fab CAI, Big Gulp, Washer Relocation, Ported Throttle Body, Rough Idle Road Race Cam, Supporting Valve Train Upgrade, Dynatech Long Tube Headers Ceramic Coated and High Flow Converters, Injector Dynamics 1025 cc, 22.5%Overdrive Balancer Pulley, Fuel Pump Voltage Booster, Moroso Catch Can.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:21 AM   #34
HAMMERHEAD15

Quote:
You have a coupe that weighs 250 lbs. less than my convertible and you have an automatic that takes no skill to drive. How do you consider your car to be stock if you have better cooling. Why does Chevrolet claim that your car does a 12.0 in the 1/4 mile but yours does 11.4's. Are they starting with an over heated car? Sorry but I don't think that you are the smartest guy on this forum.
You spent how much money with jennety to run .09
Seconds faster? I never said I am the smartest it just doesn't make sense to me to add more horsepower and heat when you can't use the horsepower that the stock car has. Your right my car isn't stock I did do cooling mods first and will add a lot of other things behind that. Personally I would be pissed if I spent as much money as you and a lot of others have and couldn't go any faster than you are! Also Chevrolet ran there car 11.90's on stock tired and I think they said 11.7's with DR's. The fact is the cooling is deficient from the factory but it doesn't matter how big of an intercooler you get you will never get lower than ambient temperatures very best case scenario. What it does do is allow you to cool back down quicker especially if you have one with fans and set it up so you can run the pump in the staging lanes.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #35
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #36
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Quote:

Are you using drag radials?
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:46 PM   #37
SCHUSS
709 RWHP & 677 RWTQ

Drives: 13' HPE 800 ZL1..... IOM vert, M6
Quote:
11.40's stock?! Are you staging with the rear tires? Thats impressive!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #38
TOO.BAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post
Are you using drag radials?
Best time with Drag Radials was 11.510
Best time with Slicks & Skinnies so far is 11.325
My Drag Radials spun like crazy so I had to come out of the hole real easy to even get into the 11's.
My Slicks grab so good they don't spin and my car has been bogging and nose diving.
Launch control didn't work at all with Drag Radials but I'm going to try again with Slicks.
My car is not the problem. The problem is the Driver, Me.
BFASTNOTLAST told his secret on loading the car up at the gate by slipping the clutch with the ebrake on until the light. I plan on trying that too. It makes so much sense.
I don't care, I LOVE my CAR and I've been having a BLAST trying to get into the 10's.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:44 PM   #39
HAMMERHEAD15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHUSS View Post
11.40's stock?! Are you staging with the rear tires? Thats impressive!
No sir! I just make sure the car is good and cool before I run it, and I got an automatic so any dummy can drive it! Lol. I now have an active interchiller so I can hot lap the car. I can say the car doesn't spin at all and doesn't bog when it hooks up. I don't know why a car with 200-250 more HP would bog out of the hole wether it be manual or auto. I also would think it would run more tha 2-4 more MPH on the big end.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:11 PM   #40
aris

Drives: Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
What if your big aftermarket Cam breaks? Then what? Your warranty is voided so you can't go back to the Dealer. Cams are a gamble. That is a hard pill to swallow.
1. It's not that big of a gamble if you do it right.

2. It's entirely reversible.

3. Stuff that's entirely reversible isn't going to have a dramatic effect on value long term (if that's what you care about), as long as the car is mechanically sound and in good condition overall.

I had over 100,000 miles on a C5 Z06 with a huge cam, long tubes, and head work. I installed the parts at around 30,000. I never had a single problem with the car related to the cam install.

I can assure you - LS motors have been modified with huge cams and head work by thousands and thousands of people, probably amounting to millions of miles of driving. As long as the work is done right, corners aren't cut, and the cam package is spec'd correctly, you will not have issues. In the case of the LS7, you may even end up with a more reliable motor if you address the valve guide issue in the process.

My Z/28 now has 5,800 miles on it - I fully intend on doing heads, cam, and long-tubes in the very near future because I bought the car for my own personal enjoyment, not to preserve it for the next guy that might get it (assuming I ever sold it).
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #41
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I do not regret my cam. I do think that one should resist the temptation to go overboard with the cam on these engines. If one wants to retain stock-like driveability and durability, there is much to be said for the LS9 cam. My cam is somewhat more aggressive, and yet retains driveability that I find quite acceptable; it does fine in the drive-through or at 6800 RPM down the straights at the local road course.

Quote:
I don't know why a car with 200-250 more HP would bog out of the hole wether it be manual or auto. I also would think it would run more tha 2-4 more MPH on the big end.
File this one under "better to remain silent and be thought a fool"

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #42
HAMMERHEAD15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post
I do not regret my cam. I do think that one should resist the temptation to go overboard with the cam on these engines. If one wants to retain stock-like driveability and durability, there is much to be said for the LS9 cam. My cam is somewhat more aggressive, and yet retains driveability that I find quite acceptable; it does fine in the drive-through or at 6800 RPM down the straights at the local road course.

File this one under "better to remain silent and be thought a fool"
And what part of this makes me a fool?