Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #29
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
The 2014 CTS Vsport and 2014 Chevy SS weight nearly exactly the same...despite all the miracle magic that Alpha is supposed to provide.
The advantage of the alpha platform is its ability to scale, simplicity and cost. Sometimes it may lead to overall weight savings but when cars are built to equal sizes, as in the case of the SS Sedan and Vsport, there is no tangible difference in final weight. The benefit comes on the smaller end, making a car like the ATS which would be impossible with the Zeta or Sigma platforms and making them for less $$$.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #30
G-Mann

Drives: 2015 F22 M235i
If the 6th gen is able to make some significant weight loss, this could be game over for the competition if this weight rumor gain on the 2015 Mustang is true.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mu...1975/+ballaban

Yeah I hope the camaro drops some weight and gets the kind of attention the C7 got and it will make my selection easy.
G-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #31
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I have been saying the 2015 Stang was going to gain weight ever since I saw the new dimensions. However I thought it would be 100lbs. The now rumored 200-300lbs is a bit of a shock but makes sense considering Ford has not released the weight and you can pre order a 2015. When they didn't release weight specs earlier I said I bet that sucker gained weight despite the engineer promising a 200lb decrease. For comparison the 2010 Camaro weight was official almost a year before it's release. The new Mustang release is in a couple of months. Pretty shady Ford.

It is time for GM to press on the accelerator. They can easily make a 6th gen SS with LT1 below 3700lbs. They just need to make it with ATS dimensions which I have no problem with. The 6th gen could very well kill and bury the Mustang in performance if the 200-300lb rumor is true. It will be GM's battle to lose at that point.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #32
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
If the 6th gen is able to make some significant weight loss, this could be game over for the competition if this weight rumor gain on the 2015 Mustang is true.

http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-ford-mu...1975/+ballaban
Man, sad for the Mustang crowd if this is true. 200-300 lbs? Wow.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #33
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I assumed the GT would gain around 100 lbs or so, but not 2 - 3 hundred. That would be a bit of a shocker.

There is a thread on this topic now on Mustang6G and its grown to 13+ pages since the story was posted earlier today. Needless to say they are in a tissy over the news. Maybe none of it is true????

Vader is correct...I see no reason the next Camaro SS if built on Alpha at ATS like dimensions can't come in at or under 3,700 lbs. Heck...the BASE 4 cylinder ATS is under 3,400 lbs. The V6 is around 3,450 - 3,500 lbs. So to me, a V8 equipped version should be doable at 3,650 lbs.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #34
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I assumed the GT would gain around 100 lbs or so, but not 2 - 3 hundred. That would be a bit of a shocker.

There is a thread on this topic now on Mustang6G and its grown to 13+ pages since the story was posted earlier today. Needless to say they are in a tissy over the news. Maybe none of it is true????

Vader is correct...I see no reason the next Camaro SS if built on Alpha at ATS like dimensions can't come in at or under 3,700 lbs. Heck...the BASE 4 cylinder ATS is under 3,400 lbs. The V6 is around 3,450 - 3,500 lbs. So to me, a V8 equipped version should be doable at 3,650 lbs.
If the mustang gains that much yeah that it is disappointing.

I thought I read somewhere hear on C5 the Camaro would be on the longer version of alpha, the one that the CTS is on now.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:14 PM   #35
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

I thought I read somewhere hear on C5 the Camaro would be on the longer version of alpha, the one that the CTS is on now.
It wouldn't make sense for the Camaro to be on the long wheel base alpha. It doesn't need to be a full size car so why add the weight penalty?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #36
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It wouldn't make sense for the Camaro to be on the long wheel base alpha. It doesn't need to be a full size car so why add the weight penalty?
I was going off of memory, I very easily could be wrong.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Man, I wish GM would throw us a bone... spy shots, a tantalizing interview with some real details from a member of the Camaro team... Something...

I'm jonesin' for some real information, but we're going around in circles here. Is it bigger than an ATS? Smaller than a CTS? Heavier than an ATS? Lighter than a CTS? Smaller than a 5th gen? Lighter than a 5th gen? Heavier than a Mustang? Lighter than a Mustang?

All of this has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseam, and >99% of what's posted here is pure speculation. And I'm just as guilty of it as everyone else. I hope we don't have another 7 months of this.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #38
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post

Nope...doubtful. Definitely hasn't been confirmed.

The beauty of alpha is that the platform is scaleable...so if I understand that correctly, that means to me it could come somewhere in between the two sizes of the ATS and CTS.

ATS sized would be OK with me. ATS does look small in person, but I think the wheelbase is basically the same as Camaro.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #39
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Nope...doubtful. Definitely hasn't been confirmed.

The beauty of alpha is that the platform is scaleable...so if I understand that correctly, that means to me it could come somewhere in between the two sizes of the ATS and CTS.

ATS sized would be OK with me. ATS does look small in person, but I think the wheelbase is basically the same as Camaro.
its within two inches I believe. I should have clarified I meant I thought I saw someone say they thought it would be on teh stretched alpha platform.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #40
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
What we also have to include in the conversation is that with the new mileage regs coming in effect soon, GM had previously stated in the past about how the mileage calculation is based on the foot print of each vehicle and that a larger wheel base and track will determine also what epa mileage class standard each car needs to meet. I remember someone from GM making the case for their strategy going forward when the new regs were announced. So its wise to say that the 6th gen Camaro will not shrink in its overall footprint from todays car but it will definitely loose weight in the new generation. The ratio of 30+ mpg base Camaros will need to be much higher to offset the lower percentage of hi performance cars that will be offered for enthusiasts to keep the balance.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 06-02-2014 at 07:09 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #41
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
What we also have to include in the conversation is that with the new mileage regs coming in effect soon, GM had previously stated in the past about how the mileage calculation is based on the foot print of each vehicle and that a larger wheel base and track will determine also what epa mileage class standard each car needs to meet. I remember someone from GM making the case for their strategy going forward when the new regs were announced. So its wise to say that the 6th gen Camaro will not shrink in its overall footprint from todays car but it will definitely loose weight in the new generation. The ratio of 30+ mpg base Camaros will need to be much higher to offset the lower percentage of hi performance cars that will be offered for enthusiasts to keep the balance.
But aren't those standards an average or something. I want to see a ATS coupe sized 6 th gen. A base model Camaro with ATS coupe dimensions and curb weight with a DI turbo 4 would have the same mpg as a ATS. They could then have a LT1 for the SS. 28mpg highway doesn't seem out of the question for a LT1 6th gen with 7/8 speed trans and a curb weight below 3700lbs.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
But aren't those standards an average or something. I want to see a ATS coupe sized 6 th gen. A base model Camaro with ATS coupe dimensions and curb weight with a DI turbo 4 would have the same mpg as a ATS. They could then have a LT1 for the SS. 28mpg highway doesn't seem out of the question for a LT1 6th gen with 7/8 speed trans and a curb weight below 3700lbs.
I dearly love everyone's hopefulness.

Yes a C7 can get 30 mpg on the highway in ECO mode but it has a very low CD. 29 EPA with the manual and 28 with the automatic for 2014. The 8 speed auto forv2015 may improve that number.

A CTS off of the same Alpha architecture with a TT 3.6 only gets 24 I believe. Not very likely a Camaro with an LT1 will do much better.

Last edited by Number 3; 06-02-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation