Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #15
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Magnesium doesn't ignite like in a lab. Yea magnesium shavings from machining can ignite, but Indy cars been using mag wheels for decades, hit walls at 200 mph and guess what, no fires. My oem valve covers on my BMW are mag. You can throw a match into diesel and it won't ignite. Lots of misinformation.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
The higher cost of repair will mean it will take even less damage to total a car out.. Which means more and higher payouts by insurance companies.
True but I was told by an insurance adjuster that most cars get totaled when the 500 airbags go off. I'm thinking the Aluminum won't make that much of a difference other than getting them more money to scrap the car. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
Firefighter

I've put out 100's of car fires in my 15+ year F/F career and I always know when my water stream hits molten magnesium. I've also been to a couple of scrap yards that a pile of Mag caught fire and well lets say when you find out that it is burning Mag the hard way some guys need new underwear.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #18
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Magnesium doesn't ignite like in a lab. Yea magnesium shavings from machining can ignite, but Indy cars been using mag wheels for decades, hit walls at 200 mph and guess what, no fires. My oem valve covers on my BMW are mag. You can throw a match into diesel and it won't ignite. Lots of misinformation.

Ah didn't know that, the only Mg I am use to is the stuff in the lab I work at haha
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Wanna bet? Look at this video around the 1:12 mark. When water meets the burning magnesium transfer case of this jeep.

Another one
Old 03-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
GM had magnesium wheels as an option on C5 Corvettes. Check into them though and I believe you will find that it isn't worth the cost. I remember reading on motorcycles that it was recommended that you have you Mag wheels x-rayed to confirm no cracking.

GM has been way ahead on materials. Just never got credit for it. GM had aluminum hoods and liftgates on the SUVs which were eliminated simply due to the cost.

GM invented super plastic forming aluminum and used it to put a highly formed decklids on the STS and hatch on the Malibu Maxx.

GM had the one of the first carbon fiber hoods in the industry on the C5 Corvette LeMans special edition. (I managed the team the did that one )

Carbon fenders, floors and other trim on the C6 Z06 (did those too )

Aluminum frame on the C6 Z06 (yep did that)

Magnesium cross member C6 Z06

GM is there in the forefront and has been for years. Just never got the credit for it. Not sure why. Bad marketing? Just being number 1? Never understood it.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #21
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
It doesn't have to ignite to explode. Everything around it (plastic, rubber etc) burns and it becomes hot enough to be a problem when water is added. Those indy car wheels don't ignite because they're out in the open with nothing around them. The little bits of magnesium in cars now can be dangerous but for the most part just put on a good fireworks show for a fireman that's properly wearing his gear. A large amount would only make things more dangerous for firemen but automakers have never really been concerned with that.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #22
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Last time I was working in the auto industry, mag and aluminum parts were the same cost for us to manufacture. Mag was a bit more than alum, but mag is lighter and overall a wash. Mag wheels are probably forged which costs more. Our parts were cast. Mag is considerably lighter than alum. I'm not saying make the whole car out of it, just castings. Years ago mag was uber expensive, that is no longer the case. I've picked up mag indy car racing wheels and its like picking up a bicycle wheel, it's amazing. It's not like you can catch mag on fire with a match. Yes in a car fire, it's hard to put out.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
It doesn't have to ignite to explode. Everything around it (plastic, rubber etc) burns and it becomes hot enough to be a problem when water is added. Those indy car wheels don't ignite because they're out in the open with nothing around them. The little bits of magnesium in cars now can be dangerous but for the most part just put on a good fireworks show for a fireman that's properly wearing his gear. A large amount would only make things more dangerous for firemen but automakers have never really been concerned with that.

My brother F/F has it spelled out pretty well right here...
Old 03-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #24
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
My brother F/F has it spelled out pretty well right here...
Thanks bro. You coming to the fest?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #25
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEP RT View Post
Wondering that sense GM is making the Vett out of a lot of aluminum and will be making the pickup using a lot of it, what are the chances of the Camaro being made that way. Imagine the possibilities
While there is a lot of aluminum in the 2014 Stingray, most of it is in the frame not the body and that is for weight reduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
The trunk lid is too.
The trunk is is not aluminum on a Camaro, at least not on my 2010.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Thanks bro. You coming to the fest?

I really would like to but that's a long haul for me and the wife and kid wouldn't survive the road trip. They'd stretch it out an extra day or two. Then the wife knows better than to trust me on my own for that long... lmao!

If they ever pull one off in the SE around the Carolina's or Georgia, Florida would be best for me but I doubt that will ever happen. I would be there in a heart beat. They should do one in Daytona... at the Speedway.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #27
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
You also can't ignite gasoline with a cigarette, like about 80% of action movies portray. I watched the MythBusters debunk that one, and STILL didn't believe it myself... so I tried it myself, everything from aeration to blazing the brightest cherry on the planet, but, nope: a cigarette will not ignite gasoline.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #28
PYROLYSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
The trunk is is not aluminum on a Camaro, at least not on my 2010.
That's new for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I really would like to but that's a long haul for me and the wife and kid wouldn't survive the road trip. They'd stretch it out an extra day or two. Then the wife knows better than to trust me on my own for that long... lmao!

If they ever pull one off in the SE around the Carolina's or Georgia, Florida would be best for me but I doubt that will ever happen. I would be there in a heart beat. They should do one in Daytona... at the Speedway.
Yeah, I would definitely come to one in Daytona. All the other ones except the first one in GA were too far for me to take my fourth gen.

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation