Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Thread Closed

Old 08-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #141
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverds View Post
If you're asking...I want a measurable "notch" between the rear window and rear deck and a horizontal roof line. I feel Fastbacks are for sports cars. I want a front fascia that's more like an F-86 or F-100 than an F-22. I want a rear fascia that says "Don't even try me".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You should realize by now everyone has different opinions on what it should look Like. No matter what you come up with there are going to be those that don't like what you designed and they will be the most vocal about it. Just look at any thread on the 2014 refresh or the Transformers 4 bumblebee and you will get the idea.
I love the fact you are trying to get opinions, but most of us cannot envision what we truly want to see, but we can say what we think does not work or give minor suggestions on your existing design. Seeing a 2 dimensional sketch also will not give a full feeling of the design you are going after and it makes it hard to see what a real car would look like.
Okay at least this is something... lol

How about we start with basic shapes and go from there....

Longer front/shorter back shape A, or shorter front longer back shape B?
Name:  Basic Shapes.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  57.9 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #142
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Definitely longer front.

If you change that, I believe you have drifted away from the Camaro heritage itself....that is more than just an evolution or revolution in my mind...its a complete shift of the thought process.

Having wide/strong rear shoulders is another thing to me that should remain in a Camaro design.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #143
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Okay at least this is something... lol

How about we start with basic shapes and go from there....

Longer front/shorter back shape A, or shorter front longer back shape B?
Attachment 545880
A is better, maybe a set of gullwing doors.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #144
ssrs396

Drives: 68 vert 396 13 ls
Actually I like a long hood-short front overhang, this is what the Camaro should be. I never liked the overhang on 90s Camaros especially with the shorter hood. It is such a crucial design element to me. I like short decks but not too short, I want beef back there but I want it to flow to flow as well.

Last edited by ssrs396; 08-15-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #145
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

From reading through everything here and elsewhere, I'm beginning to get the impression people kind of want a military look. They don't want sexy and seductive, they want a shape like a fighter jet; a look that radiates power; something that looks intimidating.

Would that kind of look be going in the right direction?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #146
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
From reading through everything here and elsewhere, I'm beginning to get the impression people kind of want a military look. They don't want sexy and seductive, they want a shape like a fighter jet; a look that radiates power; something that looks intimidating.

Would that kind of look be going in the right direction?
You nailed it right on the head

We already have enough funky , sterile cars running around

It will be nice to have the ability to get a car that anyone can say , oh , that's a Camaro
Old 08-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #147
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
That George Loizou picture screams future and looks very cutting edge. I agree with other posters that your designs are a regression of the current Camaro. All of the side view angles scream 1990's Impala. Nothing jumps out. When you see a design, like the 5th gen where you are immediately captivated. Like looking at an Aston Martin One-77 for the first time. These are the kind of lines and agressive styling you need to shoot for. It can't look like the 5th Gen, it has to be a visual masterpiece with bits and pieces from the 5th gen, but with new, futuristic styling. At least that's my opinion and what I'd like to see.

Name:  aston-martin-one-77-01.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  218.3 KB

For Example.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #148
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Good to see some input here.

Alrighty then! So here's my first attempt at something with more of a military look. Everything from the front wheels back is shaping up pretty good but I have to figure out what to do with the front; I stuck that on there just to have something there but I'm not happy with that look.
Name:  2016 Camaro Concept7.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  71.2 KB
The style of the top is heavily influenced by a fighter jet canopy. The sides and back half is more of a ground combat vehicle look.

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of reaction this gets hehe.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #149
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
I didn't realize military vehicles were cutting edge and futuristic. They are big, blocky, clumsy, things with not style whatsoever. Why do you think the general public is looking for a military design? Smooth lines, good flow from front to back, nothing that stands out as to far apart or too close. I'm sure GM has the best in the business for designers and even at that, the new cars get critiqued. Just like the back of the Z/28. It's getting all kinds of heat. Good luck. You have great cad skills, now if you can put something out that everyone likes. Maybe Chevy will adopt it.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #150
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post

Yes!

Not feeling any other designs. They look like a generic car from a video game. I want to see some design cues from the 5th gen but sharper lines, a little smaller and more futuristic looking.
Agreed! I like this rendition the best so far, although it does look a little more like a 5th gen refresh. THIS is what GM should have done with the 2014 refresh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
That George Loizou picture screams future and looks very cutting edge. I agree with other posters that your designs are a regression of the current Camaro. All of the side view angles scream 1990's Impala. Nothing jumps out. When you see a design, like the 5th gen where you are immediately captivated. Like looking at an Aston Martin One-77 for the first time. These are the kind of lines and agressive styling you need to shoot for. It can't look like the 5th Gen, it has to be a visual masterpiece with bits and pieces from the 5th gen, but with new, futuristic styling. At least that's my opinion and what I'd like to see.

Attachment 546099

For Example.
Agree 100%
Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #151
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
I didn't realize military vehicles were cutting edge and futuristic. They are big, blocky, clumsy, things with not style whatsoever. Why do you think the general public is looking for a military design? Smooth lines, good flow from front to back, nothing that stands out as to far apart or too close. I'm sure GM has the best in the business for designers and even at that, the new cars get critiqued. Just like the back of the Z/28. It's getting all kinds of heat. Good luck. You have great cad skills, now if you can put something out that everyone likes. Maybe Chevy will adopt it.
1940's Spitfire
Name:  iHAC_5_1_D.jpg
Views: 1899
Size:  183.3 KB

1950's F-104 Starfighter
Name:  050322-F-1234P-023a.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  188.9 KB

1960's SR-71
Name:  SR-71EC97_43933-4a.jpg
Views: 2205
Size:  149.6 KB

F14
Name:  F-14_002.jpeg
Views: 1900
Size:  74.3 KB

F-16
Name:  F-16AM (Nederland)_027.jpg
Views: 2539
Size:  80.9 KB

F-22, F-117, F-15, F-4
Name:  F22-F117-F4-F15-1.jpg
Views: 7017
Size:  66.0 KBName:  F22-F117-F15-F4.jpg
Views: 4813
Size:  69.2 KB

Oh I don't know....they've always been leading-edge designs. Fighter aircraft have had a great influence on auto designers for 60 years.

In the 50's, 60's and to some degree the 70's "futuristic" was envisioned as needle-nose, rocket-like, sleek, piercing, flowing shapes. From the 80's-on starting with movies like Blade Runner and Alien things "future" started to take a different shape; more angular for the most part.

Currently the styling "trend" is Japanese anime robot/cartoon/comic book. LED lights styled to look like robot eyes. Lots of "me too" design going on right now. I want the Camaro to NOT look like any of that. So I'm experimenting... trying to find the right "look" that's American, futuristic, powerful, muscular. Not an easy task but at least this thread shows there's interest with hundreds of 'views' a day; even if they're silent viewers mostly at least it shows people are interested.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #152
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
I think some of the design elements that sets a "Muscle Car" apart from a "Sports Car" are the design elements necessary for a Front Engine - Rear Drive. There should be a powerful engine compartment and then rear quarters that portray that there is power being delivered to the ground beneath them.

I'm not sure I am describing what I am trying to say very well, but perhaps if you Google "Yoga Pants" you'll get an idea of the kind of shapes I'm trying to describe.

Also as far as the "face", I think a sports car coming up behind you looks like it might slip right past you and is so efficient you barely notice it passing. When a "muscle car" comes up behind you your first thought is that you are going to be eaten or sucked into the intake. Then when it passes, it should sound like you are riding a bicycle on the track during a Nascar race.

The Camaro, to some extent should look like it's overcoming its inefficient airflow, with brute force. I think having the headlights impacting the airflow rather than sliding under it is a key element as are large air-sucking openings.

Last edited by silverds; 08-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #153
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
I have so many thoughts but so little time. Keep in mind that people who have time to view a thread don't necessarily have time to respond. It doesn't mean that people aren't interested. Quite the contrary, I've been very interested.
First I want to say that I admire your skills and vision, I know this sort of thing isn't easy.

While your latest designs have potential to be cool cars in my eyes... they have absolutely zero potential to be Camaros. Revolutionary can't mean 100% different. As GM might put it, it has to be readily identifiable as a Camaro. Remember the Ford Probe? When it was designed it was to be the next gen Mustang. The serious outcry was over the drivetrain/layout of course, but close behind was the styling. Fortunately they scrapped that plan, because it had 0% Mustang DNA.

As to your first design... I like it, but as others have said, it looks like the 5thgen evolved from that one, not the other way around. It could have been the 'missing' generation. That said... don't scrap it.
I see where you're going, but the problem is the curves. Whether you like it or not, the 6thgen will be more edgy, I can pretty much guarantee that. Done right, I think it will look outstanding that way, without being 'too' trendy. The thing is, almost all production cars have to have a similar 'current' look, or most people won't want them. There are some exceptions (think Lamborghini), but the Camaro isn't one. Being 'edgy' doesn't mean it has to go all Reventon, it just needs that 'modern' definition (that will slowly change over time as it always has).
I'm 100% positive that this will be a strong evolution of the 5thgen but with other gen cues as well, not a revolution or retro of another gen.
The question is... do you want to render something that you feel should be the 6thgen (as you have) or that you feel will be the 6thgen? You're perfectly in the right to do either one.

If you want to render what they're going to release, you have to add some lines and creases that join compound curves. You can do this with your basic shape, you have the greenhouse mostly correct with the further laid back windshield and the slightly more curved top (from the side profile that is). Your exaggerated "reverse mohawk" (as people call it around here) is dead-on.

Sheesh, it's time to get back to work already. There's a lot more I'm thinking and don't have time to express, but the one other thing I want to say before I go is that the headlights/upper grille on the Transformers 4 car is almost exactly what is to come except lower down because the front will have a lower profile (you can throw the rest of that car out the window). Round is dead (for now... it always comes back, but won't any time soon).

Please keep at it because it's very neat to see other's visions come to life (2D life at least). If I don't post anymore it's only because I don't have time to lay down my thoughts.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #154
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
I want this!
Attached Images

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net

Closed Thread

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation