Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #29
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That is correct for a mid engined car. However, for a front engine car, having weight out past the rear axle counteracts the weight up front, resulting in a more balanced car (yet increases its polar moment). But that is a discussion for another time
Technically, if the engine is behind the front axles it can be considered mid-engined

more rear overhang will help the weight distribution in the front engined models even out the front/back balance, but moving the engine behind the front axle line does pretty much the same thing by moving the engine towards the center of gravity of the car. But I think we're pretty much arguing the same thing.

sen10l: If I had to guess (and I'm only guessing here based on what i've seen) there is room to reduce the overhangs without effecting too much in the car space wise. I'm picturing the panels built to "hug" closer to the engine itself and it being a very tight fit. You'd be surprised how much they can change without you really noticing it. They could move the firewall back 2"in the tranny tunnel area and leave the same footwell space and you'd never really notice. Same with the grill/rad support area. they can tighten the gap between the front of the engine and the rad fan etc etc. ever looked under the hood of a subaru? YIKES tight spaces (among many others, sub's just came to mind)

I think the gen 6 will be a bitch to work on, because of that stuff. A foot shorter seems pretty drastic to me. mabye that's what the concept looks like right now, I doubt it'll be THAT much of a difference.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
Technically, if the engine is behind the front axles it can be considered mid-engined

more rear overhang will help the weight distribution in the front engined models even out the front/back balance, but moving the engine behind the front axle line does pretty much the same thing (i.e. z4) But I think we're pretty much arguing the same thing.

sen10l: If I had to guess (and I'm only guessing here based on what i've seen) there is room to reduce the overhangs without effecting too much in the car space wise. I'm picturing the panels built to "hug" closer to the engine itself and it being a very tight fit. You'd be surprised how much they can change without you really noticing it. They could move the firewall back 2"in the tranny tunnel area and leave the same footwell space and you'd never really notice. Same with the grill/rad support area. they can tighten the gap between the front of the engine and the rad fan etc etc. ever looked under the hood of a subaru? YIKES tight spaces (among many others, sub's just came to mind)

I think the gen 6 will be a bitch to work on, because of that stuff. A foot shorter seems pretty drastic to me. mabye that's what the concept looks like right now, I doubt it'll be THAT much of a difference.
Agreed
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #31
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
Thanks! I learned a lot.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Me too, thanks for asking the question everyone else had in their head
Old 06-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
An automobile platform is a shared set of common design, engineering, and production efforts, as well as major components over a number of outwardly distinct models and even types of automobiles, often from different, but related marques. It is practiced in the automotive industry to reduce the costs associated with the development of products by basing those products on a smaller number of platforms. This further allows companies to create distinct models from a design perspective on similar underpinnings.

Definition and benefits
Platform sharing is a product development method where different products and the brand attached share the same components. The purpose with platform sharing is to reduce the cost and have a more efficient product development process.The companies gain on reduced procurement cost by taking advantage of the commonality of the components. However, this also limits their ability to differentiate the products and imposes a risk of losing the tangible uniqueness of the product. The companies have to make a trade-off between reducing their development costs and the degree of differentiation of the products.

A basic definition of a platform in automobiles, from a technical point of view, includes: underbody and suspensions (with axles) — where the underbody is made of front floor, underfloor, engine compartment and frame (reinforcement of underbody). Key mechanical components that define an automobile platform include:

The floorpan, which serves as a foundation for the chassis and other structural and mechanical components
Front and rear axles and the distance between them - wheelbase
Steering mechanism and type of power steering
Type of front and rear suspensions
Placement and choice of engine and other powertrain components

Vehicle platform-sharing combined with advanced and flexible-manufacturing technology enables automakers to sharply reduce product development and changeover times, while modular design and assembly allow building a greater variety of vehicles from one basic set of engineered components. Many vendors refer to this as product or vehicle architecture. The concept of product architecture is the scheme by which the function of a product is allocated to physical components.

The use of a platform strategy provides several benefits:

Greater flexibility between plants (the possibility of transferring production from one plant to another due to standardization),
Cost reduction achieved through using resources on a global scale,
Increased use of plants (higher productivity due to the reduction in the number of differences), and
Reduction of the number of platforms as a result of their localization on a worldwide basis.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #34
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Wow didn't think anybody was thinking about the 6gen Camaro in 2010. Good info still.

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation