Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #15
Trak-Toy

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
i had ss 1le, upgraded to zl1 and its an incredible difference. well worth making the change
I did the same. And the difference is dramatic, when in boost. When simply driving around town, not much difference at all.

SS 1SS 1LE curb weight is: 3746 lbs.
ZL1 curb weight is: 3883 lbs. (3837 lbs if you opt for the ZLE)

That 137 lb difference will not be noticed during typical street driving. Both cars felt like they have good torque down low and accelerate nice and quickly under typical driving conditions. They both have the magnetic ride and handle the same and have the same creature comfort features (2SS) so that’s a wash. You can opt for either model in a manual or 10 speed auto now, if you wish. So again, it’ll just come down to what your using it for and how much you want to spend.

Now, the MAJOR difference in the driving experience, and the one you will pay for, is when the LT4 is driven hard and is in boost, their is NO comparison. That extra 200 hp is immediately apparent and will flat out make you react in funny ways... I believe it’s a condition called ‘permanent grin syndrome’... and to me, it was worth the $$ is cost me. I hear all the time, well I could just add a SC later on down the road. You can. At what cost though, out of pocket expenses and in reliability. If that’s your end goal. Buy the ZL1 now, have the beefed up engine internals and drive train, and call it a day. Just my opinion.
Trak-Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
ZL1 if you can afford one!��
Old 05-03-2021, 11:44 AM   #17
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
I too have had both. A 2018 2ss 1LE (M6) and a 2018 ZL1 (A10). If you can swing it go for the ZL1. That car was sick. I wanted to get into a Corvette again so I traded in the ZL1 for a 19 C7 GS and the 1LE for a 21 Blazer RS. I have a 21 2SS 1LE on order since February. I am keeping the C7 and Blazer or else I would have ordered the ZL1 again for certain. Do what works for you. Both great cars either way. And good luck finding one . As you know pickings are scarce.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
You know the answer...ZL1

I have an M6 ZL1 Convertible (so not in the same league as the ZLE) but it is one of the most fun cars DD's I've ever had...if only that trunk could hold more than a back back and a sweatshirt.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 PM   #19
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Everyone's tastes are different. 400, 500, 600, 1000+ hp at some point you lose the balance with the rest of the car. If you get bored, turn off all the computer aids and it becomes much more of a challenge to master.

With that said, the LT1 could use more top end drama. My warranty is ending soon and I plan to tackle this first through the intake manifold & throttle body, and if my needs still aren't met I'll try a sub .600 lift cam.

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 05-03-2021 at 10:23 PM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #20
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
The ZLE may not be as practical as the SS 1LE for street use because the suspension and body aero are designed more for track use. It’s hard to have a car that does both well.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:15 AM   #21
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future1LEa10 View Post
Same in price now too...lol Look what was posted on the 1LE FB page. Dealers asking $60k-$70k for used SS 1LEs now...

I'm in Southwest Florida and the dealer just up the street from me has a 2018 2SS, 1LE just under 20,000 miles for 45k (still too high for my taste)

60-70k used? The few ZL1s that are listed in this region of fl (VERY FEW) are in that price range between 62 and 70k.

Is this Hawaii or something because 1LE isn't anywhere near that around here.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #22
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Between the 2 the ZL1 is a no brainer. Picking the Z would literally be like choosing between twins except one has a doctorate, a killer set of boobs, can cook, a great personality (not that we care), but also keeps a switchblade in her jeans, a glock in her purse, has a stash somewhere, and is just as at home in jeans and a tank top at a dive bar watching a football game as she is in an elegant evening gown at a high end restaurant talking politics.

LOL!!

Ok so seriously. First off, let me get this out of the way, the ZL1 is not "too much for the street" or "overkill" or any of that. Drive one and you will see. GM built the ZL1 to be a very controlled, very well-balanced, very stable, monster/beast/animal. It would be like, having the Hulk having all the power he has in rage mode but he can still explain quantum physics to you like you're 2 years old. I exaggerate not. It is that well controlled. In fact if it did lose control then most likely you intentionally made it lose control. This car is as well mannered at 140 MPH as it is at 60 MPH. I can drive mine and it'll feel like a Camry. And when I want to hit the throttle it'll downshift instantaneously, go into boost, and take off like a rocket ship, all in the blink of an eye. And when you're ready to bring it out of hyperdrive, it'll slow down and return to normal before you know it.

I say go with the Z. Nobody in a ZL1 thinks "man, I should have got the SS instead". But there is the chance that you won't be happy in the SS and will wish you went with the Z. And it isn't that the SS is not a great car. The SS is phenomenal. The problem is that the ZL1 is just soo good that it makes everything else look bad. And that doesn't even factor in the price. And the fact that you will be driving a car that not many people get to see often. That alone feels good. The fact that I get to bring joy and meaning to people's lives because they finally get to see a ZL1 in person. That feeling alone is worth it. How could you even consider depriving people of that??

Get the ZL1 and don't turn back. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:42 AM   #23
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Between the 2 the ZL1 is a no brainer. Picking the Z would literally be like choosing between twins except one has a doctorate, a killer set of boobs, can cook, a great personality (not that we care), but also keeps a switchblade in her jeans, a glock in her purse, has a stash somewhere, and is just as at home in jeans and a tank top at a dive bar watching a football game as she is in an elegant evening gown at a high end restaurant talking politics.

LOL!!

Ok so seriously. First off, let me get this out of the way, the ZL1 is not "too much for the street" or "overkill" or any of that. Drive one and you will see. GM built the ZL1 to be a very controlled, very well-balanced, very stable, monster/beast/animal. It would be like, having the Hulk having all the power he has in rage mode but he can still explain quantum physics to you like you're 2 years old. I exaggerate not. It is that well controlled. In fact if it did lose control then most likely you intentionally made it lose control. This car is as well mannered at 140 MPH as it is at 60 MPH. I can drive mine and it'll feel like a Camry. And when I want to hit the throttle it'll downshift instantaneously, go into boost, and take off like a rocket ship, all in the blink of an eye. And when you're ready to bring it out of hyperdrive, it'll slow down and return to normal before you know it.

I say go with the Z. Nobody in a ZL1 thinks "man, I should have got the SS instead". But there is the chance that you won't be happy in the SS and will wish you went with the Z. And it isn't that the SS is not a great car. The SS is phenomenal. The problem is that the ZL1 is just soo good that it makes everything else look bad. And that doesn't even factor in the price. And the fact that you will be driving a car that not many people get to see often. That alone feels good. The fact that I get to bring joy and meaning to people's lives because they finally get to see a ZL1 in person. That feeling alone is worth it. How could you even consider depriving people of that??

Good way of explaining it! Even with an SS, LT1 you still have a car that's faster than 90-95 percent of the cars on the road though.

Here in SWFL having a ZL1 wouldn't be a huge difference because not a lot of places you can let it loose due to traffic.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #24
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

LOL!!

Excellent reply and I agree wholeheartedly with your words and just because you own a ZL1 doesn’t mean you can’t drive one sensibly instead of balls to the walls all out everywhere you go!
Old 05-04-2021, 07:04 AM   #25
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Depends on your taste for performance. Some like filled mignon, some ribeye. There is something to be said about owning the best of the best. I was never a half stepper and the ZL1 hits all the buttons. This is a car that does it ALL, track, cruise or just plain touring. I have never enjoyed any car so much and I have had some great one's, coming of age in the 60's. In the end, buy what you can afford and you will have no regrets.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #26
boosedep3

Drives: 2018 SS1LE
The decision has been made, ZL1 for the win.
boosedep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #27
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckt227 View Post
I too have had both. A 2018 2ss 1LE (M6) and a 2018 ZL1 (A10). If you can swing it go for the ZL1. That car was sick. I wanted to get into a Corvette again so I traded in the ZL1 for a 19 C7 GS and the 1LE for a 21 Blazer RS. I have a 21 2SS 1LE on order since February. I am keeping the C7 and Blazer or else I would have ordered the ZL1 again for certain. Do what works for you. Both great cars either way. And good luck finding one . As you know pickings are scarce.

Great choice of sport cars: ZL1, GS & SS1LE. In which order is your preference? And why?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #28
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Both 6th gen Camaros are great choices, both have same suspension, tires and wheels sizes.

ZL1: Super strong power delivery. 650 HP. Great handling.
SS1LE: lighter weight, less weight in front, very good balanced handling.

Both are very rare to see them on the street. It would depend on your budget. You can't go wrong. Drive both and decide.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote