Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #491
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Yet, somehow, we’ll all find a way to keep ICE going.

I present the LS-equipped Tesla!

These guys are my heroes. Seriously:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WcS9Kle816s&feature=share

They’re showing us all how to do it. It doesn’t matter how complicated - they’re doing it and that’s all that matters. Somewhere along the line someone will develop brackets, software, hardware, new parts, etc to make the conversion easier and cheaper because more people will want to do it.

They are laying the groundwork for future conversions, clubs, etc. This will be a whole new scene.

There's a newer video where they fire up the engine.

Great stuff!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:55 PM   #492
Seniorrs

Drives: 21 Camaro RS manual v6.Tyota Tacoma
Best Tesla yet!
Seniorrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #493
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I have a Tesla but my other fun car right now is a Miata ND. The new ones now have 181hp and are even more fun to drive. At 2300lbs it feels like you are driving a go kart on the street and you can beat on it and still get 30mpg. They also revised the motor and it revs out to 7500 rpm, which is match to a close ration 6 speed with short gearing.

The new Miatas have pretty decent tech as well if you want such features in a car like this. My GT trim has wireless CarPlay, rain sensing wipers, Smart city braking, blind spot detection, rear traffic cross alert, lane departure warning, adaptive headlights (they swivel as you go around turns) Bose speakers in the headrests, etc. They are also relatively cheap to modify which makes for a lot of fun.
I also drove another friend's ND Miata and it's also very much fun. He didn't modify the engine yet and it has more punch than I expected because again, it weighs nothing. Felt much faster than a BRZ I tried the other day.

The main reason I don't own one is the pick-up trucks around me. The guy who let me drive his told me that some old guy in his pick-up truck dumped coffee on his Miata on his way home. Now I am not sure if it's the guy being a prick or racist(we are Asians here) especially considering COVID-19, but that about matches my experience with pick-up trucks on the road. Now if I live in Japan or Europe where roads are narrower and pick-up trucks are pretty much non-existent outside of military bases, I would love to have a Miata or a car similar to it(718 if I have the money).

So to any nice pick-up truck drivers here: sorry, but when I see you on the road, I have to default you as an a-hole for my own safety. It's prejudiced, but you only have people like this to blame.

I also had an RX-8 which is somewhat similar to a Miata(it's practically a stretched NC) so I wanted to try something a little bit different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I think a really successful future program would be in EV conversions of existing cars using the eCrate platform. Done for significantly less money than a new EV, albeit at less performance than a purpose built ev would get... With the goal to push existing ice vehicles out faster than their natural lifespan would replace them.

Throw some of the funds we waste on fighter jets that are instantly obsolete via drones on a program to help lower income people fund such conversions of their existing vehicles. Then you're talking about a few thousand after such rebates instead of 30-40k - plus far less waste.

Can definitely create a diy vibe and plethora of variety in the market to keep the gear-head culture alive and well while the majority of the world moves towards cars as a service/appliance.
Several problems with this idea.

Batteries' energy density by volume is still pathetic compared to gasoline/diesel, even when you take ICE and EM's efficiency into consideration. This basically means that if you want to convert an ICE car and want it to go for more than, what, 80 miles, you would inevitably have to have batteries eat into cargo or passenger space, which makes those family cars less practical(which is the whole point of owning a family car).

And your lack of knowledge on swaps is showing here. A few grands? This is literally the first mistake swap noobs make.

(For an RX-8, but pretty much applicable to any swaps)

To give you an idea, even some turn-key swaps for, say, LS-swapping a Miata can cost close to $20k. That's a less complicated, long-explored ICE-to-ICE swap here.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...ta-144580.html

Turning it to an EV is more work and you have to consider the cost of batteries. And remember, we are talking about a fully-developed kit here. Early adopters or developers of these products pay significantly more. Labour cost is also a pain, and I am not sure if your average grease monkey wants to screw around with high voltage.

Zombie 222 is cool and all, but this is a different kind of project than what most of us here would enjoy IMO.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #494
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I still say if they made electric cars/suvs look like normal cars and suvs more people would be open to buying them.

Ford announced they are debuting the electric F-150 next week which they will call the Lightning (clever use, but still sad to see that name go on an electric). I am curious to see if it looks like an F-150 or if it has the typical look at me im an electric vehicle type styling

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

To give you an idea, even some turn-key swaps for, say, LS-swapping a Miata can cost close to $20k. That's a less complicated, long-explored ICE-to-ICE swap here.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...ta-144580.html

LS swap miata is on my bucket list of cars to drive before I die. It just sounds like it would be the most insanely fun thing to drive
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #495
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I still say if they made electric cars/suvs look like normal cars and suvs more people would be open to buying them.

Ford announced they are debuting the electric F-150 next week which they will call the Lightning (clever use, but still sad to see that name go on an electric). I am curious to see if it looks like an F-150 or if it has the typical look at me im an electric vehicle type styling
I think they are getting better looking.

Name:  2020-porsche-taycan-123-1569266409.jpeg
Views: 408
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  2022-gmc-hummer-ev.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  2023-Cadillac-Lyriq-8.jpeg
Views: 385
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  mustang-mach-e-red-3.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  160.3 KB

Name:  rivian-r1t-outdoors.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  20190315013221_Tesla-model_y_front_34_blue.jpeg
Views: 409
Size:  50.2 KB
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #496
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
getting warmer...now lets see a camaro with no grille or air inlets,something not derivative but futuristic,like the tucker was back in its day,or the hudson(first really low,modern design.) even if its just a styling exersize for the 2023 auto show with no guts underneath,show us what you got,GM.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #497
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
getting warmer...now lets see a camaro with no grille or air inlets,something not derivative but futuristic,like the tucker was back in its day,or the hudson(first really low,modern design.) even if its just a styling exersize for the 2023 auto show with no guts underneath,show us what you got,GM.
I agree. A brand new design that is futuristic but still aggressive looking. Big heavy wheels and tires tend to hurt range on EVs so maybe a nice aggressive 19” wheel. Michelin is releasing a Pilot Sport EV specific tire which could be a nice match. I hope they carry over tech like mag ride suspension and drive modes would be great on an EV. I also hope they use a true LSD/e-diff rather than an open diff controlled by software like Tesla does. The less software controlled the car feels the better. Regen braking should be tunable by the driver depending the situation. Track Mode with lots of customization would be nice as well. Weight reduction is another biggie.

It will be interesting to see how they would separate the performance between the trims. After owning the slow Tesla Model 3 SR+ Which is the slow one (0-60 in 5.3) and a Model 3 Performance (0-60 in 3.0), honesty they both feel very fast because of how EVs deliver power. Both plant you in the seat way more than any ICE based vehicle. My point is that I feel it will be harder to differentiate the models based on performance alone. It will need to be the styling, interior features, suspension, rwd vs awd, maybe a 2 speed transmission in the higher trims, etc.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 05-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #498

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Name:  cuda.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  27.9 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:26 AM   #499
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I thought this article was interesting. Maybe not is all okay with the EV owners.
https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...e-study-2021-4

gm and the others need think about this.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:54 AM   #500
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
I thought this article was interesting. Maybe not is all okay with the EV owners.
https://www.businessinsider.com/elec...e-study-2021-4

gm and the others need think about this.
There’s a few people on this forum who support the EV garbage that will have some sort of snarky rebuttal to this. But I’ve been saying exactly what this article says from day one.

They don’t listen.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #501
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
There’s a few people on this forum who support the EV garbage that will have some sort of snarky rebuttal to this. But I’ve been saying exactly what this article says from day one.

They don’t listen.
I won’t be snarky but will share some feedback. I will agree that if your plan is to charge your EV with a 120 - 15amp circuit you can expect a charge rate of 3-5 miles per hour which is horrible and not practical as the article suggests. However, most owners know this going in and make provisions for 220-50amp circuits in their homes/garages. At 220-50amp you charge at 32-37 miles per hour, a 60amp gets you 44 miles per hour. Some folks that do not have a dedicated circuit sometimes share their dryer outlet, which is often a 220-30amp. The point is most EV owners know that charging off a 120-15amp circuit is not practical. As for charging while on the road, that is what the Supercharger network is for. Look it up, Superchargers are everywhere now and have charge rates of 150-250Kw, which charge the car from 0-80% in 30 minutes. People drive cross country now in Tesla EVs as a result of the supercharger network. The latest generation of EVs have 350-400 miles of range and the upcoming EV trucks will have batteries large enough for 500 miles of range on a single charge.

I own both ICE and EV vehicles. My recommendation is if you can’t install a dedicated Nema-50 amp circuit for your EV then don’t bother getting an EV as charging will be annoying for you as the article suggests. However, if you can and I think most new homes built after 1999 actually include a dedicated 50 amp by code, you will find that dealing with EV charging is a non-issue and even more convenient vs having to hit the pump. The reason I say this is because EV drivers typically always plug in at night and always leave with a full tank so to speak and once you realized you just added 200+ miles of range for less than $5 in electricity the small task of plugging in the car at the end of the day is hardly a big deal.

Also keep in mind that you usually never run low on charge for typical daily driving since most people drive less than 50 miles per day on average. You top off to say 300 miles of range at 90% charge, you drive 50-100 miles that day and then just top off at night. Adding 50-100 miles of range at home only takes 1.5 - 3 hours at home while you sleep and when electricity is the least expensive.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 05-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #502
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Something like that could change some minds. Since the power, cooling, exhaust, airflow requirements are so different for EVs we could see some radical design changes.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #503
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post

Have to agree, no non-functional air inlets, or aping the general shape of a front engine car. Only the Porsche gets it right of those pictured above. I actually saw a mach-e in wild the other day. What a pure defacement of a great nameplate, way worse than the mustang II. ( i should add I really hate suv's anyway ) A couple months back i saw a taycan in the wild... very nice!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:04 AM   #504
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I won’t be snarky but will share some feedback. I will agree that if your plan is to charge your EV with a 120 - 15amp circuit you can expect a charge rate of 3-5 miles per hour which is horrible and not practical as the article suggests. However, most owners know this going in and make provisions for 220-50amp circuits in their homes/garages. At 220-50amp you charge at 32-37 miles per hour, a 60amp gets you 44 miles per hour. Some folks that do not have a dedicated circuit sometimes share their dryer outlet, which is often a 220-30amp. The point is most EV owners know that charging off a 120-15amp circuit is not practical. As for charging while on the road, that is what the Supercharger network is for. Look it up, Superchargers are everywhere now and have charge rates of 150-250Kw, which charge the car from 0-80% in 30 minutes. People drive cross country now in Tesla EVs as a result of the supercharger network. The latest generation of EVs have 350-400 miles of range and the upcoming EV trucks will have batteries large enough for 500 miles of range on a single charge.

I own both ICE and EV vehicles. My recommendation is if you can’t install a dedicated Nema-50 amp circuit for your EV then don’t bother getting an EV as charging will be annoying for you as the article suggests. However, if you can and I think most new homes built after 1999 actually include a dedicated 50 amp by code, you will find that dealing with EV charging is a non-issue and even more convenient vs having to hit the pump. The reason I say this is because EV drivers typically always plug in at night and always leave with a full tank so to speak and once you realized you just added 200+ miles of range for less than $5 in electricity the small task of plugging in the car at the end of the day is hardly a big deal.

Also keep in mind that you usually never run low on charge for typical daily driving since most people drive less than 50 miles per day on average. You top off to say 300 miles of range at 90% charge, you drive 50-100 miles that day and then just top off at night. Adding 50-100 miles of range at home only takes 1.5 - 3 hours at home while you sleep and when electricity is the least expensive.
Most houses in America were built before 1999. You can’t reasonably expect people to pay an electrician $2,000 to install the required electrical system on top of whatever the special charger costs to simply keep your car fueled up.

And no matter how the super charger network works, unless you can get one one every corner in America available to anyone, 24/7/365 without having to plan ahead and be able to charge your car to 300 miles in 5 minutes, it ain’t gonna work for the masses.

These companies who want to go all in on EV aren’t thinking.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote