Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
The fuel lines I am talking about are the ones under the intake manifold. The one on the drivers side that goes over the top of the head and under the IM that has the flex line it is the orificed version. That is the one I replaced with the LT4 model.

The other notable changes are to the hard fuel lines that connect the HPFP to the fuel distribution block. The stock LT1 fuel line from the HPFP to the distribution block comes out of the block and turns 90° back towards the HPFP. The revised one or the one the LT4 uses actually has a softer bend, to the tune of only being a 45° bend.

I replaced all of those while working with Ted with some fuel pressure issues on the HPFP. I replaced the HPFP and found GM revised it with a newer part number and then found the differences in the lines when I went back thru the install.

Good info thanks!
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #16
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
If you would consider a centrifugal than please consider the ECS system. It is basically a Vortech system with a upgraded head unit (Novi 1500). It has a better drive setup than the Procharger configuration and has a better intercooler design standard than P/C has on their Stage II option. Comes with all of the good parts right out of the box, pricing is pretty much the same as the ProCharger with the options you "should" buy on the P/C.

And FYI - the air intake setup is very similar to the Procharger (between the driver's side valve cover and shock tower) but my intake temps are steadily 7-10 degrees over ambient temps no matter what just driving around.

All of these s/c options will be limited by the stock fuel supply system. Budget accordingly for upgraded fueling options.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
First post in long time. Love my Whipple no complaints.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by federal View Post
Hey guys, I’ve been a long time lurker and decided to finally make an account as I make my steps towards FI.

I’ve done my research on all three, but still cannot seem to make a decision and wanted some input. I plan to, for now, stay stock besides possibly a CAI and hopefully soon a Soler TB. With that said, I would like to stay around 550-600 HP so that my internals will be safe and not risk ruining anything. I don’t do any drag racing of the sort, I just want some boost for when it’s convenient.

The Procharger appeals to me mainly for the cheaper price and ease of install, as I plan to do it myself besides the tuning, in which remote tuning would be preferable. I don’t mind the higher, less instant power as I don’t anticipate wanting power from a stop.

The Whipple and Magnuson also seem fairly easy to install, and I’ve seen a little bit better of a reputation/higher recommendation count for them. While I said earlier I dont mind the lag/higher RPM boosts, less lag can never go wrong from what I’ve read.

With all that said, if anyone also has any recommendations on which vendors they recommend that offer the canned tunes/DIY tuning/remote tuning, please let me know as I’m open to all recommendations!

Vehicle is a 2018 Camaro 2ss
Welcome to the dark side. You will love FI regardless of your choice. You have, no doubt, recognized that everyone has their personal preferences and almost always it’s simply in support of the decision they made.

My advice will be a little different because at the 550whp level (where you will end up) all of the blowers have really nice options. I recommend you decide who will do the work on your car (or who will tune the car if you are doing the work yourself). Once you make that choice, talk to the tuner to make a decision.

I think you are in for a treat because the 550-600whp level is just about perfect for a street car. You can keep your stock tires and have fun.

It is true, I am a big fan of Magnuson. I have also owned Prochargers, Vortechs, twin turbos and even the little LT4 blower. All are fun and all are capable of going far beyond what your stock car can take.

As for the tuner, I can’t recommend Ted Jannetty strongly enough. Ted has done my tune and made himself available for live calls while on the dyno. He was even on standby last time I went to the track (but we got rained out). I am about to have Ted tune my other LT1 also. He’s a class act. My advice is, call Ted and figure out which blower will best meet your personal goals. Welcome to the FI section.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 PM   #19
DanielZ

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 - Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Congrats on your decision to go FI. I believe the majority of folks here prefer the PD style blower aka Whipple/Maggy, not that it's superior imho but I personally have been extremely happy with the Procharger Centri setup. I run a smaller pulley on it and boost comes on pretty quick but nothing like the instant power of the PD chargers. That's probably where each person differs in their choices with how they prefer the power delivery.

I installed my kit over a weekend by myself and had Ted Jannetty remote tune it and its just a blast to drive.
I recommend if you do go Procharger you get the P1x or D1x with the stage 2 IC and the Race Bypass.

Either direction you go will result in huge satisfaction either way so no worries you really can't choose wrong imho.

What power did this put down ballpark?
E-50 | Tune
DanielZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:04 PM   #20
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielZ View Post
What power did this put down ballpark?
Right at 600 to the wheels on 93. However Ted just recently set me up on a flex fuel tune running e55 and I am not sure yet what that will add to the numbers but simply based on how it feels on e85 I’d say it’s definitely well past 600 now.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #21
DanielZ

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 - Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Right at 600 to the wheels on 93. However Ted just recently set me up on a flex fuel tune running e55 and I am not sure yet what that will add to the numbers but simply based on how it feels on e85 I’d say it’s definitely well past 600 now.

Awesome!! Huge congrats!! Thanks for the reply too! I'm close to going e50 from 91. Curious what butt-dyno will say!
E-50 | Tune
DanielZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #22
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielZ View Post
Awesome!! Huge congrats!! Thanks for the reply too! I'm close to going e50 from 91. Curious what butt-dyno will say!

Oh yeah no problem!. When you get setup on the e50. Its definitely going to be felt!!!!.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #23
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Hey guys,
This is a good topic and great feedback, thanks to those sharing. Apologies, I'm going to ask to follow on with a specific question...

For those who have owned both a centri and a PD, what did you like on the street better, and why? And did you run a street drag radial?

Why i ask.... in looking at the dyno sheets for say a whipple and a procharger, the torque curves are obviously quite different, as y'all have pointed out so well. cracks me up, the PD is almost like a flat line from ~3k to redline... torque and smiles overdose! ;-) The procharger has minimal TQ charge until you get to higher rpms. For my non-DD car, 90%+ of the time I'm going to be on the street, in complete street trim. Track, straight or curvy, will be occasional at best. So i want power delivery (eg TQ) that is usable on street tires. I am concerned, even after i size up the rear to 315's, that spirited starts from a stop, that the PD will still just smolder the tires. (I have an A8, no high rpm launches). How do you feather all that torque, lol. Your experience and replies are appreciated.

Sorry for being so verbose, maybe an easier way to ask is this... what did you feel like gave you the best 1/8 mile times when on street tires? pd or centri?
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Ok course I'm going to recommend the Magnuson, you have 2 choices now, 2300 which I just took off my car before the Camaro Fest and my new 2650 I just installed for the Camaro fest. Much depends on what you intend to do with the car. The Magnuson's will give you many options to go fast and enjoy the instant boost. They have great street manners and will do great on the autocross, road course and my addiction which is the drag strip.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #25
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
Hey guys,
This is a good topic and great feedback, thanks to those sharing. Apologies, I'm going to ask to follow on with a specific question...

For those who have owned both a centri and a PD, what did you like on the street better, and why? And did you run a street drag radial?

Why i ask.... in looking at the dyno sheets for say a whipple and a procharger, the torque curves are obviously quite different, as y'all have pointed out so well. cracks me up, the PD is almost like a flat line from ~3k to redline... torque and smiles overdose! ;-) The procharger has minimal TQ charge until you get to higher rpms. For my non-DD car, 90%+ of the time I'm going to be on the street, in complete street trim. Track, straight or curvy, will be occasional at best. So i want power delivery (eg TQ) that is usable on street tires. I am concerned, even after i size up the rear to 315's, that spirited starts from a stop, that the PD will still just smolder the tires. (I have an A8, no high rpm launches). How do you feather all that torque, lol. Your experience and replies are appreciated.

Sorry for being so verbose, maybe an easier way to ask is this... what did you feel like gave you the best 1/8 mile times when on street tires? pd or centri?
Fwiw you manipulate the torque curve in the tune by adjusting the timing. You can have a PD charger come in smooth if you pull enough timing.

When I had my Whipple setup Dyno tuned, the tune basically had so much timing pulled down low it didn't pull any harder then when it was NA with bolt-ons until about 4k rpm. I thought it sucked. I should of just tuned it myself but I had no prior experience with tuning a FI car. I spent a lot of time fixing the tune with the help of Pray giving me some help and the car is a complete different animal.

I am not going to be that guy nutt hugging their brand, but I will say the biggest factor when it comes to these cars is finding a competent tuner. Procharger, Whipple, Maggie, ECS are good units but they all can perform terrible in hands of a incompetent tuner.

Laynlo car performs because he has a great guy in his corner. Mike knows how to tune and goes the extra mile to get a car where it needs to be. It isn't all because of the Magnuson.

I have had guys PM me tunes and I have seen the work of several tuners out there. If you want some recommendations then PM me.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #26
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Fwiw you manipulate the torque curve in the tune by adjusting the timing. You can have a PD charger come in smooth if you pull enough timing.

When I had my Whipple setup Dyno tuned, the tune basically had so much timing pulled down low it didn't pull any harder then when it was NA with bolt-ons until about 4k rpm. I thought it sucked. I should of just tuned it myself but I had no prior experience with tuning a FI car. I spent a lot of time fixing the tune with the help of Pray giving me some help and the car is a complete different animal.

I am not going to be that guy nutt hugging their brand, but I will say the biggest factor when it comes to these cars is finding a competent tuner. Procharger, Whipple, Maggie, ECS are good units but they all can perform terrible in hands of a incompetent tuner.

Laynlo car performs because he has a great guy in his corner. Mike knows how to tune and goes the extra mile to get a car where it needs to be. It isn't all because of the Magnuson.

I have had guys PM me tunes and I have seen the work of several tuners out there. If you want some recommendations then PM me.
Interesting and Thanks - sound advise. I know the tuning makes all the difference in the world. But blindly I didn't think about it making as much difference on FI... but in after thought, a bad or overly conservative tune seems like it would make a big difference regardless of the platform and mods.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #27
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Well said King and I'm lucky to have Mike to tune it for me. We build a great product and the competition is stiff for sure. Many think they can tune but its looking inside that data and that's years of tuning knowledge.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #28
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Makes two of us undecided.

My decision is just as hard because my goal is +1K RWHP and to do it reliably with a PD on the ZLE is either:
  • Whipple with H/C, SPI, low side, Meth, E85, Cut Hood
  • Eforce with H/C, SPI, low side, E85, 30-45% Injectors, High Vol Fuel Pump and a New Hood.. maybe meth needed?
  • Maggie with H/C, low side, E85, 30-45% Injectors, and High Vol Fuel Pump... maybe meth needed?
    (I would go Maggie - no questions asked - if I could do SPI and not need meth)

Or, Procharger and SPI <- however that's $10K+ for the blower kit.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote