Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
MikeG183

Drives: 2017 1LS 1LE
New Procharger Kit

https://www.procharger.com/blog/proc...v6-36l-camaros

Happens to be mine. Still waiting to pick it up, so no feedback yet.
MikeG183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
I like what is being done here...

Now we just need more tuners to gain experience with the V6 platform and extract the most from it. A lot of the big name GM tuners won't even touch the V6's.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
somedude

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT Convertible Auto V6
Nice! please keep us updated on how you like the kit and maybe a video or two
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:19 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Interesting, stock airbox location it looks like.

Maybe a potential carb eo .. you know.. If they believed they will sell more than a dozen of these and bothered to get it tested..

So no. Still, will be interesting to see where the price comes out at
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Interesting, stock airbox location it looks like.

Maybe a potential carb eo .. you know.. If they believed they will sell more than a dozen of these and bothered to get it tested..

So no. Still, will be interesting to see where the price comes out at
The price is in the link, $6k
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I see, in the product link within the article.

Well, I'm sure they will sell a couple.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #7
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Very nice. I’m glad that ProCharger is supporting you guys. I hope that more vendors follow suit.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #8
ddanj

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
How would this type of system compare against the Overkill one?
3100 - 08/19/2017 TPW 09/11/2017 | 4800 - 09/20/2017 train journey done
3400 - 08/25/2017 | 5000 - 09/22/2017 at the dealer, and picked up!
4300 - 09/12/2017 Built! VIN available
4B00 - 09/14/2017 move to rail yard
ddanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:09 PM   #9
Deesiel678

Drives: 2018 1LS 1LE
Keep us posted; I'm excited to hear more about this and the Edelbrock E-Force kit (when it finally comes out)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #10
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
So From the Information Procharger has provided us thus far we do not have any clue what the real world numbers are. Please keep in mind I am excited to see this stuff come to market because they means more potential for other parts as well. So this is just my break down of the kit and the Cons versus Overkill

From reading through all the information they have provided they are Advertising 500 "Crank" hp and up to a 45% increase in HP.. this is issue number 1 for me 45% added to 335 is 485 not 500..

They have provided no Dyno data for us yet company like procharger shouldnt be using Crank HP that is not entirely accurate to sell the kit because we have no clue what % of drivetrain loss they are considering .. Manuals and Automatics have different % of drive train loss. After the 100s of pulls I have done on the dyno we have averaged out my drivetrain loss is a staggering 25% we are also calculating for the fact we cant run in a 1:1 gear ratio. There are so many variables just show us the Dyno Data!

So lets Break down the numbers I am going to use an average here of all the base dyno pulls I have seen reported and posted for the V6 ranging from 240-270.. So we come in the middle at 255.. Lets add 45% power to that So we get 370 RWHP.. This is close to what I would expect from the kit.. Do not get caught up in the excitement of their advertising look at real information.

Overkill Gives you the real data up front no advertising gimmicks

Keep in mind also they are not showing us any torque numbers .. You can tune and dyno higher HP at a loss in torque but you don't want to do that you want to tune for MBT ( Maximum Brake Torque ) You may lose 10-15 hp but you will gain massive amounts of torque for example we had my car over 500rwhp but we lost like 70 torque doing so and thats not what you want.

This system is a 6 rib shared belt system which means if you break a belt your stranded
Overkill kit is a 8 rib stand alone belt driven system so if you pop your supercharger belt the car will still drive.

System uses stock box or you can pay extra for a better air intake could be a pro and or a con.. air intake systems arent cheap and its not included in the base cost.

Overkill comes with its own dedicated Air intake system included in the price

Tuning... uhhg $6099 with their canned tune .. Sounds like if you want to do your own tune it would be $5899 well add another 6-700 for tuning.. So if you want to save money your stuck with their canned tune then if you ever want to do anything different or add on there is even more cost later. And if you want to have warranty on the product you have to go through a authorized installer/tuner.. so no installing this one yourself or picking your tuner I guess.. ( correct me if I am wrong on this ) its how they make it sound.

Overkill - You already have the best GM V6 tuner in the business , Free re-tunes for the life of the kit for any mod you choose. Custom tuned specifically to each vehicle no canned tuning no extra costs

Upgradability seems lacking they have no support for extra fueling options this is a one and done kit you install it thats it you want to take it further well you would have to wait for procharger to come out with more support.

Overkill has Stage 1 and Stage 2 fueling options smaller pulleys etc..

Don't get me wrong like I said earlier I am super excited to see procharger bring a kit to market and I am hoping the brand recognition alone brings other supporting mods to market as well...

However as it sits there is No advantage to Procharger over the Overkill Kit
You could argue price as the Overkill kit is $400 more.. But that includes The air intake system and Custom tuning with free re-tunes and the Stand alone belt driven system. Plus you have the stage 2 option for $700 more.

I Have taken the overkill kit to 11.07@125 mph on a sealed engine.. The ability to upgrade and work with the kit in your own way is amazing and to me thats a really important aspect it may not be to everyone though.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
MikeG183

Drives: 2017 1LS 1LE
Just picked up the car today. Initial impressions on the relatively short drive home are that (unsurprisingly) a huge gain in performance (as with any supercharger system). I have no comparison to other systems. But I can say that the powerband is super sweet. Easy to drive normal (i.e. slow), but once you get past 3k there's a rush that was simply not present before. After 4k it knocks you in your seat. And the sound is amazing.

As for power, it feels like 500 crank is pretty close. I've seen the dyno sheets and it is in fact a gain of 150 hp from stock. The stock dyno pull was 290 at the wheels. Final was 440 with just their kit. Also, I have the six speed tremec, so the calculation for drive train loss might be a bit generous compared to the automatic. And that probably also explains why my initial dyno numbers were higher than average.

At the end of the day, it's another option from a very solid and reputable company (which is only a good thing). I will also mention that I contacted Overkill expressing interest in purchasing his tune as well as his kit...several times. I have yet to ever hear back from him. Customer service is important to me, and from my experience, it was lacking with Overkill. Although Procharger has a home field advantage since I'm local, so that certainly makes customer service easier. But during my visits there, I always saw at least three people on the phones ready to help with questions (both install and product related). I understand that's a luxury that a larger company has. But even though he's a small shop, Overkill should at least return emails (again, I can only attest to my experience...sounds like others may have had good support from him).
MikeG183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #12
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG183 View Post
Just picked up the car today. Initial impressions on the relatively short drive home are that (unsurprisingly) a huge gain in performance (as with any supercharger system). I have no comparison to other systems. But I can say that the powerband is super sweet. Easy to drive normal (i.e. slow), but once you get past 3k there's a rush that was simply not present before. After 4k it knocks you in your seat. And the sound is amazing.

As for power, it feels like 500 crank is pretty close. I've seen the dyno sheets and it is in fact a gain of 150 hp from stock. The stock dyno pull was 290 at the wheels. Final was 440 with just their kit. Also, I have the six speed tremec, so the calculation for drive train loss might be a bit generous compared to the automatic. And that probably also explains why my initial dyno numbers were higher than average.

At the end of the day, it's another option from a very solid and reputable company (which is only a good thing). I will also mention that I contacted Overkill expressing interest in purchasing his tune as well as his kit...several times. I have yet to ever hear back from him. Customer service is important to me, and from my experience, it was lacking with Overkill. Although Procharger has a home field advantage since I'm local, so that certainly makes customer service easier. But during my visits there, I always saw at least three people on the phones ready to help with questions (both install and product related). I understand that's a luxury that a larger company has. But even though he's a small shop, Overkill should at least return emails (again, I can only attest to my experience...sounds like others may have had good support from him).
Fantastic numbers!! That’s awesome! Do you have the dyno sheets? As far as Will goes, he seems to be pleasant to work with but the lack of communication by him has been an issue since I joined this forum 5+ years ago or at least as long as i can remember. It’s a common theme and complaint by many that he takes a very long time to respond and I too have emailed him to never see a response. But, he does good work, provides a good service and the few times I’ve interacted with him it’s been good.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #13
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
I feel my V6 has plenty of power for driving 80-90 mph on public roads. This would push me to new HP territory.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertopdown View Post
I feel my V6 has plenty of power for driving 80-90 mph on public roads. This would push me to new HP territory.
Well a Civic has enough HP to drive on the roads 80-90mph. $6K is a ton of money to spend if you think you’re good with what you have.

Last edited by Camarolover85; 04-06-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote