Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Jcveliz01

Drives: 2017 2.0T camaro
How do i know when im pushing the car to hard

I can say that my car its one of the fastest 2.0T without opening the motor , the car its making 351hp and 390TQ , the car its running good , like never before , I understand its a 4 cylinder and that theres so much power it can make before it blows , My question is , how much power can it make before it blows , i seen the same motor blow with less than 300hp because of the tune
Jcveliz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
I think in my limited knowledge of these engines is that 400tq at the crank is were the floating line is at. Obviously a good tuner can probably go past it a little and the driver has to be good with avoiding low rpm/high throttle situations with the upkeep and maintenance. Ive researched a bunch of tuners lately and it'll be hard to find someone to put in a tune that goes to 350tq on 93. The only tunes going as high yours are on e85 so you did real good on an engine with stock guts.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Jcveliz01

Drives: 2017 2.0T camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojeep95 View Post
I think in my limited knowledge of these engines is that 400tq at the crank is were the floating line is at. Obviously a good tuner can probably go past it a little and the driver has to be good with avoiding low rpm/high throttle situations with the upkeep and maintenance. Ive researched a bunch of tuners lately and it'll be hard to find someone to put in a tune that goes to 350tq on 93. The only tunes going as high yours are on e85 so you did real good on an engine with stock guts.
Im trying to go at least 25 psi , I’m on 23
Jcveliz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
Well boost is just a measurement of restriction of air flow through the engine. I'd like to find a cheap cylinder head and give it too my buddies race shop to open up. I've seen sr20's make more hp with less boost. 23lbs is pretty good for a stock block, turbo, and head and personally, I'd like to see the aftermarket focus on trying to make the head flow better.
turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:20 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Being on E85 and Meth. Injection your going to stay ahead of most for a very very long time. Most will never see past the 300whp 370wtq 93 pump gas tunes and that setup took longer to come out safely and reliably then people will ever admit. It's not to say it wasn't possible early on but the tuners just weren't tuning these cars for the first year and a half in the camaro because they thought using the same methods as the ATS would do the same thing... Case in point most dyno tunes by ZZP were less then stellar on the LTG Camaro however this could have been for many good or shady reasons we'll never truely know. The limits are theoretically 400whp and around 420wtq but these numbers are based off of blown ATS engines. I wouldn't personally advise pushing to much past 350whp 390wtq without looking into forged internals. As far as those who blew up engines with less power they were mostly idiots who either went to far on timing adjustments or thought traditional lets turn up the boost methods were a good idea.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I just look at the hellcat 717 to 797 and go by half that. Also to what do we expect that stock internals for a car that is scheduled to do 300 tq should it be suddenly blessed with that much head room. Just get a aftermarket V8 if horsepower is all that. I love the way my car performs with 350 theoretical crank HP, (315 tq at the wheels). I haven't driven anything else to judge otherwise but its good so far. What the hell can one expect for low 20Ks plus a few of bolt ons. There so much more to this car as I can compare to bmw and MB. Its my take and that's OK. As a package, there is little to complain about for the price point. Taking for EB's comment, its almost like not if but when the engine will stress out. I would personally prefer to engine swap on my own terms way further down the road. But good luck with it and post some ETs.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #7
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I just look at the hellcat 717 to 797 and go by half that. Also to what do we expect that stock internals for a car that is scheduled to do 300 tq should it be suddenly blessed with that much head room. Just get a aftermarket V8 if horsepower is all that. I love the way my car performs with 350 theoretical crank HP, (315 tq at the wheels). I haven't driven anything else to judge otherwise but its good so far. What the hell can one expect for low 20Ks plus a few of bolt ons. There so much more to this car as I can compare to bmw and MB. Its my take and that's OK. As a package, there is little to complain about for the price point. Taking for EB's comment, its almost like not if but when the engine will stress out. I would personally prefer to engine swap on my own terms way further down the road. But good luck with it and post some ETs.
I think at some point the goal would be forged internals. Probably sometime after that powertrain warranty is through...
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
SS_AL

Drives: 2017 Camaro RS l4 turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcveliz01 View Post
I can say that my car its one of the fastest 2.0T without opening the motor , the car its making 351hp and 390TQ , the car its running good , like never before , I understand its a 4 cylinder and that theres so much power it can make before it blows , My question is , how much power can it make before it blows , i seen the same motor blow with less than 300hp because of the tune
After speaking to vermonttuning owner, I asked the same questions, from what I understand you're pretty safe up to 500hp, unless you're dragging obviously, that goes for forged pistons, I would upgrade the valve springs to avoid floating, but other then that he gave me no concerns about upgrading, hope this helps, call Vermonttuning to clarify, Brian is very knowledgeable..
SS_AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_AL View Post
After speaking to vermonttuning owner, I asked the same questions, from what I understand you're pretty safe up to 500hp, unless you're dragging obviously, that goes for forged pistons, I would upgrade the valve springs to avoid floating, but other then that he gave me no concerns about upgrading, hope this helps, call Vermonttuning to clarify, Brian is very knowledgeable..
Ain't no way a stock motor gonna even last a dyno pull to 500 whp, I'd love to see someone attempt it
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
ZZP_Tyler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
Ain't no way a stock motor gonna even last a dyno pull to 500 whp, I'd love to see someone attempt it
Yeah stock long block is not going to like 500. With forged rods and pistons it'll take it all day, but those stock pistons are gonna wave goodbye before the end of a pull haha. Stock block and crank have proven to be fine at 650+

We usually recommend staying below 400whp/400wtq as long as you've kept up on maintenance, run colder plugs, and use quality low ash oil.