Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-31-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Finally the brake pedal feel I was lusting after!

I suggest you grab a beverage of your choice before you start reading, because this will be a long post.

I can be a little spoiled due to the cars I've owned and currently own, but I've recently started having love hate relationship with the ZLE and if you have read my new owner and six month update threads, you would know that my major complaint is the brake feel with the ZLE.

Add an extremely busy work schedule and the brakes being the low point for me, the poor ZLE was put aside and didn't get any seat time for the past 6 weeks.

Fast forward to last week Wednesday, I had some free time and decided to head to the track (PBIR) . Given that we would practically have the track to ourselves for 5 hours I invited Jaymes (@Junkyardspecial) to come out and play with his ZLE.

I had taken my GT4 that day since I was still broken up with my ZLE, and Jaymes brought his ZLE which he just had the brake fluid changed along with the track alignment set.

Since the last time I was on track with Jaymes, I know he had been back to PBIR, really improved on his already great driving, and was also getting closer and closer to my ZLE lap times on there. For the first few times we got on track, I sat shotgun with him to give him some more pointers. Then he was kind enough to let me drive his ZLE for a couple of laps because I wanted him to see the pointers that I was giving him from the passenger seat.

Not having driven my ZLE, I had forgotten how much of a monster a ZLE is; toxic power coupled with an extremely playful chassis. Mind you Jaymes's ZLE has long tubes, full exhaust and a tune. My love for the ZLE was ignited again, but even though his ZLE had the Motul RBF600 for the brake fluid, I still wasn't 100% happy with the brake pedal feel, especially under track conditions.

I had a good one hour drive home from PBIR that evening and it was enough time for me to start my master plan of getting back with my ZLE and giving it the gift of better brake feel.

Luckily I work and am friends with some of the best people in the motorsport world. When I got home, it was way too late our time, but it was business hours in Italy. I reached out to my good friends in Italy who manufacture the most cutting edge braking products to some of the Formula 1 and Formula 3 teams. I knew they make the brake lines for those machines and have a very special carbon fiber braided brake line that can withstand an astonishing 16,900psi minimum burst pressure rate (just for comparison a typical stainless steel brake line made by a reputable company is 4000psi). After a bit of pursuing, convinced them to make me brake lines for the ZLE. Yes, it did cost a bit of penny, because some of the brackets/fittings needed had to be ordered in bulk. They told me I was basically either going to end up with 1 kit, or 10 kits, but the total wouldn't change. Being the rational human being I am, I obviously opted to end up with 10 brake line kits.

Second part of the plan was to call my friends at Brembo to get me some of their magic HTC 64 brake fluid. I say magic because ask any motorsport team, the HTC 64 has the lowest compressibility numbers (which means more direct braking feel), and also even after being sustained to high temperatures repeatedly the pedal feels great. In short form, very low maintenance, no need to bleed the fluid after being subject to high temps to get the pedal feel back, which is normal with fluids like Castrol SRF and Motul RBF 600/660 etc...

I received everything on Thursday and was extremely excited to have the brake fluid flushed out to get the new lines and Brembo's jungle juice in there. Even though we had a major hurricane headed our way, and remembering that I am a rational human being, instead of getting prepared for the hurricane just like every other responsible human being, I decided to get my priorities straight and have the ZLE under the knife first thing on Friday morning.

As planned on Friday (yesterday), the ZLE was treated to new diff fluid, engine oil/filter, the carbon braided brake lines and the Brembo HTC64 brake fluid. I knew the brake feel would be dramatically improved but I was nervous because I love this car so much and I didn't want to be let down since I had high expectations.

When I took the ZLE for its first drive with the new hardware. When my right foot was on the loud pedal the surge of power and noise the ZLE made me grin, but when my foot shifted over to the brake pedal and I felt that crisp and firm brake pedal, my grin had just gotten even bigger. I was once again madly in love with my ZLE.

By the way, my gamble has paid off, because so far the hurricane has shifted its path, and is unlikely to head towards Miami. Planning on taking the ZLE to the track this upcoming Wednesday (if the weather cooperates.)

Attached Images

SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:53 PM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
OK...you didn't include what you planned to do with the remaining 9 sets of brake lines?
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
OK...you didn't include what you planned to do with the remaining 9 sets of brake lines?
I guess I could put them up on the classifieds on here. One set is already spoken for, unsurprisingly Jaymes wants them after he saw them.

PM me if you want a set. I believe they also should fit the ZL1 and SS 1LE models with the Brembo calipers. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:04 AM   #4
Stormtrooper1le

Drives: 2018 ZLE
A brake flush with quality fluid and some stainless lines improved the brake feel- ya dont say!!
Stormtrooper1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #5
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post
A brake flush with quality fluid and some stainless lines improved the brake feel- ya dont say!!
Went a bit over above a stainless line, but that’s pretty much the case

Just can’t believe that GM would release such a track focused vehicle with such mediocre components.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #6
Old painless

Drives: 4 wheels and a motor
If you don't mind... how much are you selling the line set for?
Old painless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
LT4

Drives: all sold, getting another soon..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
Went a bit over above a stainless line, but that’s pretty much the case

Just can’t believe that GM would release such a track focused vehicle with such mediocre components.
How about an insanely low $62K base price?
Old 09-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #8
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 View Post
How about an insanely low $62K base price?
I honestly think the car isn't a steal of a deal. If you look at the other Camaro's we do pay quiet a premium to get a ZLE / ZL1.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old painless View Post
If you don't mind... how much are you selling the line set for?
Wasn't really planning on selling them, but I posted them up on the for sale section since I've been getting people asking. A few of them are already spoken for.

Here is the classifieds link : https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561327
Old 09-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Great thread thanks for posting this info.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
Great thread thanks for posting this info.

You are welcome. I think all the members here deserve a thanks, we've got a great community
Old 09-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper1le View Post
Lol. So true. I swapped to SS lines and Castro Syn DOT 4 (flushed it twice-drove it hard) on my 5th gen and the brake pedal feel is much better. I honestly feel it's more from the flushing than the SS lines imo.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
pm'ed

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #14
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Lol. So true. I swapped to SS lines and Castro Syn DOT 4 (flushed it twice-drove it hard) on my 5th gen and the brake pedal feel is much better. I honestly feel it's more from the flushing than the SS lines imo.

It all depends what you expect. If you've driven cars with extremely great brake feel, the flush really doesn't do it. I know because @junkyardspecial let me drive his car.

Will flush by itself make it better? Yes for sure, but will it make it to a level of what I call a firm brake pedal (especially under track conditions) ? No.