Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #113
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
It for sure works on my car - 2016 1SS M6. I do have a video, but I'm in China and a lot of things get blocked. I'll try.

I will say, the first time I tried it, I was very hesitant. But it works. You must be somewhere above 6k RPM. I don't know exactly, but I clutch-in and shift just before I would get to redline. I also double checked to make sure I wasn't just hitting the normal cuts at redline - I wasn't, the exhaust sounds different and the RPM holds.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #114
Mountain

https://youtu.be/us_Y8R2vUlc

I also want to add that I know NLS activated because the shift was smooth and wasn't even super fast. I tried at a lower RPM, in the 5k range and the RPMs shot to redline, cuts engaged, exhaust noise was different and the shift was harsh.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #115
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcgotthelife View Post
My NLS seems to work but only with rev matching turned off. If rev match is on, the car will not complete the shift. SS 1LE BY THE WAY
My videos were done with rev match both on and off and NLS works the same either way for me.

Also mods, why was this moved to the transmissions section of engine subforum? This has more to do with an ECM calibration and really nothing to do with transmissions. IMO it should be in the general subforum or the regular engine discussion sub.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #116
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
https://youtu.be/us_Y8R2vUlc

I also want to add that I know NLS activated because the shift was smooth and wasn't even super fast. I tried at a lower RPM, in the 5k range and the RPMs shot to redline, cuts engaged, exhaust noise was different and the shift was harsh.
That is not NLS. You're just hitting the rev limiter. Compare what you're seeing to the original video. The RPMs should fall (not jump to redline) and you should hear a farting sound from the exhaust.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #117
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
That is not NLS. You're just hitting the rev limiter. Compare what you're seeing to the original video. The RPMs should fall (not jump to redline) and you should hear a farting sound from the exhaust.
Well, I can't view the other videos right now. IDK what to say other than the sounds from exhaust when doing what I think is NLS sounds absolutely, 100%, not like when it hits the limiter in any other scenario (the video doesn't display this well). In addition, the shift sequence (clutch-out and grab) is 100% smooth, whereas if I am not 100% on the throttle or at a lower RPM, somewhere in 5k, it is not. I'll mess with it more when I get home. I've power shifted cars before, and this feels not like that. Very smooth.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #118
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Thanks, Mountain. It would help if we knew exactly how the feature was supposed to behave so we'd know for sure if it's working or not. I can say yours and mine are not behaving like the SS 1LE in the first post.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #119
Mountain

A little comment. My RPMs are not jumping; watch the tach and mind the gear changing, you can see the RPM drop as 2nd is registered. Also, mind that the stock analog gauge will not react as fast as a digital display. I have a hard time believing i'm not experiencing NLS because I've done a test shift with letting it hit the limiter and engage the next gear and it's a violent experience. Again this isn't the best viedo, having to hold the camera and drive. It's also not the cleanest example as it was done going onto a freeway. I'll hook up a logger and look at that digital data.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #120
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I can see how all these videos make it really hard to judge... the PDR video OP posted has the RPM and pedal position overlays, so we can see exactly what's happening.

I powershifted a 350+HP car from 1st to 2nd before, you get wheelspin and you feel the clutch dragging engine RPM down. That's definitely not what happens when I do it in the Camaro; RPM start to drop and clutch engagement is smooth and instant, then power comes on right away.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #121
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I can see how all these videos make it really hard to judge... the PDR video OP posted has the RPM and pedal position overlays, so we can see exactly what's happening.

I powershifted a 350+HP car from 1st to 2nd before, you get wheelspin and you feel the clutch dragging engine RPM down. That's definitely not what happens when I do it in the Camaro; RPM start to drop and clutch engagement is smooth and instant, then power comes on right away.
Exactly. If not NLS, then I'm a magical powershifter in this car.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 PM   #122
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I experimented a bit more with it on the highway...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...S_3-4-5_x3.mp4

1st pull - first shift is almost at redline and I shifted at my normal shifting speed; second shift is at 5700-6000RPM and I shifted noticeably slower (you can hear the NLS working longer)

2nd pull - I shifted near redline again, but held the clutch in for a bit longer longer (you can hear the NLS is still doing it's thing until I released the clutch)

3rd pull - first shift is near redline again and just as long as the previous one; second shift I purposely tried right below 5500RPM and you can hear the engine rev to redline and hit the limiter - and it sounds noticeably different from NLS

I'm putting this debate to rest for myself... I was in track/competitive mode with rev-matching enabled.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #123
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I experimented a bit more with it on the highway...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...S_3-4-5_x3.mp4

1st pull - first shift is almost at redline and I shifted at my normal shifting speed; second shift is at 5700-6000RPM and I shifted noticeably slower (you can hear the NLS working longer)

2nd pull - I shifted near redline again, but held the clutch in for a bit longer longer (you can hear the NLS is still doing it's thing until I released the clutch)

3rd pull - first shift is near redline again and just as long as the previous one; second shift I purposely tried right below 5500RPM and you can hear the engine rev to redline and hit the limiter - and it sounds noticeably different from NLS

I'm putting this debate to rest for myself... I was in track/competitive mode with rev-matching enabled.
Great video thanks! I need to get out on the tollroad and try some 3-4s.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #124
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Sorry unrelated to NLS but I was surprised when watching both vids. Kind of like a before and after.

https://youtu.be/QKCkHqLNY5s

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2I...ew?usp=sharing
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 AM   #125
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcgotthelife View Post
My NLS seems to work but only with rev matching turned off. If rev match is on, the car will not complete the shift. SS 1LE BY THE WAY
I've been lurking and reading this thread, and I find this post kind of intriguing.

I am among the folks who are not having success getting their NLS to work as advertised. I watched the videos of NLS working, and have gone out on some of my recent late nights off and methodically tried to make NLS work, with no success. With the throttle pinned, and engaging the clutch at different RPM levels, my car will unfailingly bang into the rev limiter. In each test, I am absolutely certain I am meeting the criteria noted earlier in this thread (>30 MPH and >93% throttle.) But no luck.

But back to the quote. I find it interesting because the difference between the poster's success and failure involves toggling a system which by design imposes a computer control over the throttle, which by definition is what No Lift Shift is.

As others have said, I believe that the firmware on all of these cars is identical, and that all of them "Have no lift shift" as Al O said. I also think it's entirely possible that SOME of the people having issues here are subconsciously lifting during their shifts, and failing the criteria to make the system work.

But it's hard for me to believe that EVERYONE who is posting that their NLS system isn't working as advertised aren't doing it right on EVERY attempt, and at least producing occasional success.

I am beginning to wonder if there isn't some sort of computer conflict in certain cars that is preventing this system from working.

On my next off night, I will try again to make this system work. With rev matching OFF this time and see what happens.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #126
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
When I was testing out the ported IM/TB setup a couple of weeks ago I played around with the NLS as well. Mine does just like the others, once I initiate the NLS the RPM's drop and the exhaust makes the resulting sound.

I am beginning to wonder if the people who cant get the NLS to work are maybe lifting slightly as well in anticipation of the rev limiter being hit which then takes the car out of the NLS program.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote