Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Cheap(er) track day tire?

I've have been looking for a "cheaper" track day tire and stumbled across these on tire rack. Did a quick Google search and seems like people tested them over at grassroots motorsports with some decent reviews. Wondering if anyone here as any experience with them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol never heard of em before
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol never heard of em before
From googles searches seems to be a popular aftermarket tire for audi guys over seas.. only bad thing I've read is they don't like curbing. which seems to be on point with the grassroots motorsports reviews they had some readers do.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
That1guy_tim

At the price point I might just say F'it and give them a try... Tire rack reviewer mustang owner claims 15 track days so far and has seen no fall off with them.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Wow! Great price. Even if they are 1/2 way decent they would go great on my 1LE replica rear wheels. I bet they will stick better than my 245 all season runflats.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Ha, I think they are big in Yurp or something. I got a mountain bike tire made by them and it worked pretty well, as well as any other name-brand tire over here, like Maxxis, WTB, Ground Control (spec). Much better than POS Schwalbe.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #7
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
This would be a good alternative to the RS4s if you are looking for a longer lasting track tire! I really like the RS4s because they are very close to the pace of the stock GY setup and last A LOT longer, my only real question with these would be how is the pace? If it's fairly close to the RS4s I would be all aboard when my current set of RS4s wears out, plus I hear it's hard to source RS4s over here in Germany.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #8
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
The tread pattern looks to be more in the category of the regular 300tw, like PS4S and the Conti EC Sport. So I doubt they'll have the all-out pace of the 200tw class, but I wouldn't expect them to be bad by any means. When the GRM articles came out about them, I don't recall anyone being in love with them, but also nothing really bad either. Maybe they'll be like the Federal RS-RR, but for the bigger sizes???

Worst case scenario you're not a fan, and you go with something else in the future. If you can repeat that 15 track days of the guy with the Mustang, then I'd say that's a big win.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
The tread pattern looks to be more in the category of the regular 300tw, like PS4S and the Conti EC Sport. So I doubt they'll have the all-out pace of the 200tw class, but I wouldn't expect them to be bad by any means. When the GRM articles came out about them, I don't recall anyone being in love with them, but also nothing really bad either. Maybe they'll be like the Federal RS-RR, but for the bigger sizes???

Worst case scenario you're not a fan, and you go with something else in the future. If you can repeat that 15 track days of the guy with the Mustang, then I'd say that's a big win.
I agree I do not expect them to have the all out pace of the top contenders in the 200tw class but if they can last anywhere near 15 track days and grip better than my 320tw street tires I will be very happy.

Looks like I will be ordering these up. Who knows when I will actually be able to test them out with the way the world is right now but once I do I will post results !
Old 03-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
That brand has been around with car tires for a while. I have no experience with them though. RS4s? Are you meaning PS4S's?
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
That brand has been around with car tires for a while. I have no experience with them though. RS4s? Are you meaning PS4S's?
No, Hankook Ventus R-S4
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...el=Ventus+R-S4

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 PM   #12
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Aha! I just found a post about them. Thanks. Guessing you go with different sizes as it didn't list them in OEM front and rear sizing.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #13
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
Most that run them go with 305/30R19

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:36 AM   #14
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Not to chime in from out of nowhere - and not sure if you want to stick to 19's or have 20" wheels available, but if you have some 20" wheels, take a look at the GY Supercar F3s.

I know that the older supercar tires kind of have a bad rap, especially the run flats, but I do a bit of autocross and road coarse work myself, and my car came with these (18' 1LE) and they have serious side bite. Especially when it gets warm.

I have a group of friends that I hit these events with, and my car is by far the most on power (E85 and a blower) so I am challenged right out of the gate, but I hold my own. What is most interesting (they run the autocross - "cheater" 200TW tires like the Bridgestones), when the weather gets hot, their tires really get greasy. The SCF3s get better and better, especially when the weather is over 90deg.

They were really designed for Road Coarse not AutoX, with the difference being heat. I think the tires like the RE-71R and Rivals, which are focused on AutoX work extremely well in short runs at lower speeds, once they get hot can get greasy. The SCF3 was focused on long runs with real high speed corners. Ive pitched my car across the sweeper at BIR at 140+mph in 95 degree weather with 113 deg track temp and it is like a cat on velcro.

At times TireRack will have them on sale for $240 for 305/30R20s -