Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2020, 04:01 AM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
truck filter on Camaro

I tried it out. its maybe 1/8" higher than the bottom of the oil pan. So I havent put the rest of the bottom stuff back on after installing the trans but it looks like there is nothing in front of it to prevent things hitting it.
Attached Images

real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I dont think your aluminum skid plate it on yet correct? That will hang under it (i think)

However - if it doesn't, this setup wouldn't scare me at least one bit. If something hits it, it is steel, its going to skip off or dent it. If it is big enough to puncture it, you will have already ruined the bumper cover, splitter, trans cooler and probably the oil pan itself.

I also own a 88 Monto Carlo that has a SBC and I use the extra tall (it is like 9" tall) filter for it that hangs under the cross member. Been running it like that for 20 years.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
JCunningham

no its not on yet
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 03-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
I tried it out. its maybe 1/8" higher than the bottom of the oil pan. So I havent put the rest of the bottom stuff back on after installing the trans but it looks like there is nothing in front of it to prevent things hitting it.
What's the part # of that? Bypass valve pressure settings are the same?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
JCunningham

thats the Amsoil EAO17 version of the PF63E for all LT truck motors. it is 113mm tall. the PF63E is 112.5mm tall. the Amsoil EAO17 is 18-24psi bypass. GM calls for a 22psi bypass.

Last edited by JCunningham; 05-23-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Very cool. I plan to do this on my next oil change using a Baldwin B7449 filter.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:09 AM   #7
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
I dont think your aluminum skid plate it on yet correct? That will hang under it (i think)

However - if it doesn't, this setup wouldn't scare me at least one bit. If something hits it, it is steel, its going to skip off or dent it. If it is big enough to puncture it, you will have already ruined the bumper cover, splitter, trans cooler and probably the oil pan itself.

I also own a 88 Monto Carlo that has a SBC and I use the extra tall (it is like 9" tall) filter for it that hangs under the cross member. Been running it like that for 20 years.
yep the bar is actually completely lower then the filter. will be no problem running it.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
vtirocz

Excellent info. Thanks for confirming the fitment. That makes me wonder why GM didn't specify the larger filter (PF63E?) from the beginning. If the longer filter is basically even with the bottom of the oil pan and the shear panel sits lower, this seems pretty low risk.

I personally am looking at the Wix WL10255, which is 4.474" (113.6mm), or about 1" longer than stock, with a 22psi bypass valve and an anti-drainback valve present: https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Pa...x?Part=2167927

Also considering the direct replacement Wix 10290, which is 3.45" long and also has the 22psi bypass valve and an anti-drainback valve present: https://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Pa...x?Part=2168037

To date I've used the AC Delco PF64, but not sure how I feel about the redesigned version of that.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #9
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Well I am breaking in a new engine and have been using the PF64 as they are only on the engine for 100 miles, then 500 miles, and then 1000 miles. I have cut open the first two and will say even though they have thinned up the metal, they still are all metal with the exception of the inner support for the filter (plastic) and the filter itself seems quite nice.

I plan on running the Delco golds (I bought a dozen a year ago) once it is 100% broken in, but I do not think the new PF64 is as much of a step down as something like the Fram.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkMissile View Post
Well I am breaking in a new engine and have been using the PF64 as they are only on the engine for 100 miles, then 500 miles, and then 1000 miles. I have cut open the first two and will say even though they have thinned up the metal, they still are all metal with the exception of the inner support for the filter (plastic) and the filter itself seems quite nice.

I plan on running the Delco golds (I bought a dozen a year ago) once it is 100% broken in, but I do not think the new PF64 is as much of a step down as something like the Fram.
Thanks for that info. What metal is thinner? The casing itself or something else. From the pictures, it just looked slightly shorter and had the plastic inner cage. I wonder if the filtering media surface area has reduced since the overall filter height is slightly shorter compared to the old PF64?

Old 05-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Really can't see a good reason not to use a larger/longer truck filter on these cars. It tucks up better than a truck filter did on an old LS1 car. The oil pan hangs probably 3/8" lower as does the aluminum brace.

This is a truck filter on my car:
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote