Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #15
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csolas View Post
Hi all,

Few questions i have about the car 2019 2ss 1le

1-Even under heavy acceleration my oil pressure gauge never passes 50psi. Is this normal? I am used to my mustang where the oil pressure gauge was all the way up under heavy acceleration reading around 100psi

2-diff fluid change needed after 1500 miles? the manual says only if you are going to track the car but that sounds fishy to me.

3-oil catch can really needed? if the engineers at GM that designed this would have thought it would need an oil catch can then why didnt they put one? In one of my plastic vacuum lines by the intake there is a little plastic box that looks like a catch can?? this is me just wondering.

4-the volt meter sometimes reads very low close to the 12 line and some other times it is right at 14 volts. is this normal?

thank you all
DO change the diff fluid after break in regardless if you're gonna track the car, or not. It comes out looking like sludge and magnetic plugs capture tons of shavings.
Plus it is a cheap maint item at a dealer, or diy.
This is for the main "pumpkin" and NOT the electronic component.

Plenty of catch can threads here including one manufacturer being quite adamant, that your engine will cease to exist if you dont purchase THEIR solution
Ive had my car for 3 yrs, done about 60 track days plus some DD, no catch can, no rough starts, no loss of power, NEVER had to add any oil yet. Ive had 4 GM vehicles with DI V8 motors, none if them had a catch can and none of them had any problems. This includes my DD Tahoe which leads a severe duty life. Ive had zero issues with it, just like ive had zero issues with the previous one. And a Sierra before it.

But, ive always paid attention to service levels for my vehicles: oil gets changed at 50% life, only top quality gas goes in, they never sit long with near empty gas tanks, i try to always reach full op temps before shutting down, take them for a hiway run, etc.

LT1 is a very well designed, robust motor that has been around for a long time now. Heck, DI motors have been around for a long time! Pretty much in every truck, suv and car that GM has produced for quite a while now. And selling literally millions of them. Including to many commercial fleets that really beat up on them, while skimping on maintenance...

NB GM offers a valve cleaning service, should it be required for about $150. I know 2 owners of GM dealerships personally. I know their service managers and speak to their mechanics. I am yet to see a line up of vehicles for valve cleaning jobs. That's my feedback anyway for what it is worth. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #16
slimjim2525

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Don't want to hijack the thread. Did a full throttle pull, and my oil pressure gauge got up to 80 psi quickly. Is this also within normal?
Old 04-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #17
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim2525 View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread. Did a full throttle pull, and my oil pressure gauge got up to 80 psi quickly. Is this also within normal?
Cant recall exact details but the pressure will go up under a load and fall when idling. 75-80 sounds about right.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote