Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
djb525

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS M6 Black
2011 UNCUT Keyfob Programming

Hey guys, I need some help.
I have searched and cannot find a fix. I have a 2011, and I purchased a blank "Uncut" keyfob from the dealer. I do not want it cut, as I only want it to work for the lock and unlock. I need to program this key but obviously cannot put it into the ignition as it is uncut. I have tried this method...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93145

and it did not work. The doors did not lock and unlock, and it did not enter programming mode. Any thoughts?
Thanks
djb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The only other way I know of is via the dealer hooking it up to the computer. This route takes some time (15-20 minutes but can take an hour if the maintenance person is an idiot) and it does require a labor fee which varies from dealer to dealer (I've heard between $30-$100).
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
The process you tried needs a cut key it wont work with a blank. The only way to program a blank is take it to somebody with a GM programmer and have them program it
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
EASY SOLUTION.....take apart your current key and the new one......put you CUT key in the new holder and program it......put the cut key back into you REGULAR key and reinstall the uncut key back into its holder......piece of cake.

Last edited by Sir Nuke; 09-19-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Well, hopefully it's not too easy. If it were, all you would need is a key fob and you could steal a camaro.
navmaxlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Unhappy 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by navmaxlp View Post
Well, hopefully it's not too easy. If it were, all you would need is a key fob and you could steal a camaro.
BUT YOU ARE 1/2 WRONG TO which it means that you are not right ,therefore you are wrong , get it , URWRONG GET IT NOW ????
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
EASY SOLUTION.....take apart your current key and the new one......put you CUT key in the new holder and program it......put the cut key back into you REGULAR key and reinstall the uncut key back into its holder......piece of cake.

May not even need to take the key apart. Should be able to program another transmitter just by repeating step 10 in the procedure.

Start the programming procedure with the existing cut key/transmitter, go through step 10, then repeat step 10 with the transmitter with the uncut key.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
djb525

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS M6 Black
Thanks for the help guys, I actually figured it out a while ago. I bought an uncut key to use for a remote start install. I had the remote start installed, put the first key in and turned it to on, took it out, then put the blank key next to the ignition and triggered the remote start so the car thought I put in a key and turned it and it learned the new key.
djb525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:49 PM   #9
NewCamaroSSowner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS convertible
Ok I purchased a new remote from Car and Truck remotes and I have been unable to programed the key fob using the information here in this thread and the other one linked above. I have a working remote that has the blade and loose key that were part of the recall and it all works. I even have another working loose key that was one the remote that broke. I even tried to take the board out and just buy a replacement case but that didn't work I damaged the board trying to take the case apart. I must have been glued. So can someone help me program this key fob? Its possible that they send me the wrong fob since the part number doesn't match my old working one. They send another one thinking the FCC number was different, I gave them the FCC number off my old working one. I could really use some help. The dealer wants a couple hundred bucks and i got this one for $46 and its OEM. Thanks for the help.
NewCamaroSSowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 06:08 AM   #10
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm ASSUMING it's an automatic.

If so, you would want GM p/n 13500221 for the FOB. GM p/n 20979468 should also work.

If it's a manual, you would want GM p/n 13500222. GM p/n 20979469 should also work.It won't have the remote start.

You have a WORKING fob and key? You should be able to just add a key once you get the fob blank key cut to your ignition. You can't just use the old separate key as there's a chip in there that's married to the old fob you broke. So unless you have the equipment to reprogram the separate key to your new fob, it won't work.

But you CAN take the actual key shaft out of the old separate key that no longer has a working fob. Then install it in your new fob. Although, I wouldn't glue it in your new fob like this writeup advises, I'd simply re-use the pin that comes in the new fob to reattach it when you swap out the shafts.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378553

And then you can add it like a normal flip key since the fob already has a transmitter in it.

Quote:
ADD A KEY:
Insert your working key into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position (don’t start the car)
Wait for the security light on the tachometer to turn off.
Remove your key.
Insert the NEW key (the one that hasn’t been programmed yet) into the ignition and turn it to the “ON” position.
The number of keys programmed should now be displayed on the Driver Information Center and your new KEY will be ready to use.
You can only have five working keys/remotes programmed to the car at any given time. Mine said 7 when the fob was programmed. Then, I did another spare key after the FOB, and it said 8. I tried to do another one, and it would not accept a 9th programmed key. So, I have three devices; two keys, and one remote. You would have to use the RESET method to start over with "0" keys from the start to have the 4th or 5th working key.

START OVER; ALL NEW KEYS, NEW ECU, OR RESET METHOD:

If you lost your keys, and get new ones, this is the method you use. This is what you would also need to do with your existing keys if you get a replacement ECU.

This initial reset method can take up to 30 minutes, so be sure you have a good battery in the car, or hook it up to a battery charger.
Insert your new key into the ignition.
Turn the key to the “ON” position (don’t start the car)
Wait 10 minutes for the security light on the tachometer to turn off.
Turn the key to the “OFF” position.
Repeat steps 2 through 4 until the security light remains ON during step 3. — Usually after the 3rd time.
Once the security light no longer turns off after waiting 10+ minutes, turn the key to the “OFF” position.
Turn the key the "ON" position (don't start the car).
If the process was successful, the number of keys programmed (=1) should be displayed on the Driver Information Center and your new KEY will be ready to use.
If all that doesn't work, but it SHOULD, then it's a trip to the dealer for you I'm afraid ($$$).

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote