Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Well my 1LE is my DD. But yes I got it because it's fun.

IMO if you want to use rev match then more power to you. I'm just saying that for street driving unless you're on a mountain run or something I don't really see much a benefit to it and for me it gets annoying having the throttle blip every time I take the car out of gear. If there's a good reason to run it on the street other than just for a cool factor then I'm definitely willing to consider using it, but I can't see a reason to use it for the majority of street driving. Even during spirit driving I don't find myself liking the rev match especially with the overly aggressive/impeding T/C system.
I pretty much never use it on the highway. Around town, I will use it sometimes if I have the stereo up loud because I rev match manually based on sound more than numbers and can't hear the engine if I have the music too loud.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #30
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Just a quick question for people who use it on the street. Can you tell a difference in MPH when using it as opposed to not using it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
What do you mean?
Quote:
Okay so for example I'm slowing up for a turn. I push the clutch in and start rowing the gears down (5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd) while braking. Everytime you downshift it blips the throttle up increasing the engine speed noticeably. (Again the clutch is still compressed) That puts a lot more revolutions on the motor in X many miles than there otherwise would be if you don't rev match. More RPM's generally mean less MPG.

The only way know to counter this while using rev match is to leave it in the gear you started to clutch in, and just before you go to let off the clutch to go from the gear you were in, to the gear you're wanting to accelerate out the turn in. (Let's just say going directly from 6th to 2nd)

IMO the rev match is great for tracking the car, but in street driving I find it to be annoying to deal with.
Ok there's my confusion.
Initial post you mentioned difference in MPH which I didn't get, but in the clarification you post MPG and that makes sense.

Yes.
Rev match does kill MPG in street driving if you downshift often, not a lot but maybe 1 or 2 mpg depending on traffic/conditions.
I usually have the fuel range displayed in the dash and when Rev match is active that range will drop quicker than driving without. Didn't really think it would but the ECU blips the throttle much more aggressively than I do and will hold the rpm both on up and down shifts.
On the highway you won't notice, but if you run up and down the gears in urban driving you will use more fuel. I down shift at every stop, so I noticed pretty quickly.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:11 AM   #31
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Ok there's my confusion.
Initial post you mentioned difference in MPH which I didn't get, but in the clarification you post MPG and that makes sense.

Yes.
Rev match does kill MPG in street driving if you downshift often, not a lot but maybe 1 or 2 mpg depending on traffic/conditions.
I usually have the fuel range displayed in the dash and when Rev match is active that range will drop quicker than driving without. Didn't really think it would but the ECU blips the throttle much more aggressively than I do and will hold the rpm both on up and down shifts.
On the highway you won't notice, but if you run up and down the gears in urban driving you will use more fuel. I down shift at every stop, so I noticed pretty quickly.
Your experience is pretty different from mine... I really don't see a change in the MPG of in-use versus not. Maybe my manual throttle blips are basically the same as rev match (I am getting smooth downshifts w/o Rev Match)?

With DFCO, downshifting w/o a throttle blip should mean that MPG doesn't decrease because of a downshift. Any kind of throttle blip (manual or Rev Match) -should- cause a drop in MPG because you are actively feeding fuel to the motor. If you're manually revving the motor in pretty much the same way that Rev Match would, then it would seem there should not be any noticeable difference in MPG due solely to the use of Rev Match.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #32
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I would think an SS and an SS 1LE would have slightly different MPG no matter what. Different size/rolling weight of wheels/tires, different widths, decidedly different grip levels, these would all factor into the 1LE having lower MPG and may even make the "blip" MPG differ as well.

No facts here, just based on those differences alone they would differ to some extent I would think.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
I would think an SS and an SS 1LE would have slightly different MPG no matter what. Different size/rolling weight of wheels/tires, different widths, decidedly different grip levels, these would all factor into the 1LE having lower MPG and may even make the "blip" MPG differ as well.

No facts here, just based on those differences alone they would differ to some extent I would think.
The question is whether using Rev Match in a specific car changes the MPG for that car, though. It isn't asking if the MPG from one model/trim to another differs.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:36 AM   #34
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I think people tend to downshift more aggressively at a higher rpm with rev match on vs doing it themselves in normal driving, I know I do. Maybe that could impact mpg's for some some with regards to rev matching yourself vs letting the ECU do it.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #35
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Both true statements
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #36
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post

They're very different MPG.

I drove my 1SS for just over two years and put right at 30,000 miles on it. I never reset my trip B odometer and when I traded the car in it showed average MPG of 20.9

I've been driving my 1SS 1LE for just over two years now and have recently passed 30,000 miles. I've left the trip B odometer untouched and it's showing right at 17.9 MPG. So 3 MPG less.

Same house, same job, pretty much exact same driving routines.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #37
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Your experience is pretty different from mine... I really don't see a change in the MPG of in-use versus not. Maybe my manual throttle blips are basically the same as rev match (I am getting smooth downshifts w/o Rev Match)?

With DFCO, downshifting w/o a throttle blip should mean that MPG doesn't decrease because of a downshift. Any kind of throttle blip (manual or Rev Match) -should- cause a drop in MPG because you are actively feeding fuel to the motor. If you're manually revving the motor in pretty much the same way that Rev Match would, then it would seem there should not be any noticeable difference in MPG due solely to the use of Rev Match.
If you noticed I mentioned the ECU blips the throttle more aggressively than I do. When I downshift you don't hear a blip because I seem to blip just enough for the rpm's to be 75-80% of what they should be versus the ECU blipping and holding rpm's to the exact rpm needed for the chosen gear.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #38
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
If you noticed I mentioned the ECU blips the throttle more aggressively than I do. When I downshift you don't hear a blip because I seem to blip just enough for the rpm's to be 75-80% of what they should be versus the ECU blipping and holding rpm's to the exact rpm needed for the chosen gear.
Yes, I did see that. I didn't really call it out specifically, though.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #39
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Yes, I did see that. I didn't really call it out specifically, though.
I guess my point was the ECU feeds more fuel, more often, than I do and I noticed the drop in MPG with rev match versus my driving.
I'm a little OCD about mpg.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #40
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I guess my point was the ECU feeds more fuel, more often, than I do and I noticed the drop in MPG with rev match versus my driving.
I'm a little OCD about mpg.
I watch the MPG rating, not the speedo. I get it. In fact, I use Fuelly (and have for years) and use to track all of my fill-ups and maintenance items in a small notebook I kept in the car. One the simplest indicators of a possible issue is to see that there's a variation from the norm. Tracking every drop of fuel that goes in helps me build a baseline for short-term and long-term driving and to be able to recognize when I have strayed significantly from that baseline.

Here are the different situations that I was thinking of but didn't give a good description of.

- No ARM, No manual rev match: Downshifts don't have much impact on MPG because of DFCO

- No ARM, Manual rev match (me): Downshifts happen when the RPM's are around 1500-2000, one gear down doesn't need a significant "blip", negligible impact on MPG. Manual rev match is pretty close.

- No ARM, Manual rev match (you - guessing a little here): Downshifts happen when RPM's are higher (3000-ish?), one gear down needs a significant blip but you don't run it all the way up, larger impact to MPG.

- ARM (me): Downshifts happen when the RPM's are around 1500-2000, one gear down doesn't need a significant "blip", negligible impact on MPG. ARM is "perfect", and very close to what I would do manually.

- ARM (you guessing a little here, too): Downshifts happen when RPM's are higher (3000-ish?), one gear down needs a significant blip and ARM runs it all the way up, larger impact to MPG. The higher blip from ARM is a big enough difference that you are feeling a larger impact.

Probably still a bit off-base with at least some of it, but that was the basics of how I was thinking about it.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #41
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
I use it all the time. I am a life-long heel-toe guy but it is so damn good. Especially when threshold braking on the track. I was worried about getting rusty, but the odds of a manual transmission car even existing the next time I get a new car are pretty low. And if I do get another manual, by then it will probably have the rev match feature.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #42
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I use it all the time, saves on the clutch. I can heel toe but not anywhere near as good as the rev match.
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote