Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
6th Gen camaro thoughts

So, its been a week since I have seen the 6th gen in person. I was one of the fortunate ones to be invited to the official unveiling.
I had intended to write this up sooner, but life has a way of getting in the way sometimes.
That being said, here we go...

Before I begin, I'd like to put out a little backstory. I've been part of the camaro world for nearly 2 decades. Starting out with my 78 Camaro and having an 86IROC, 94Z28, 95Z28, 96Z28, and a 98RS in addition to numerous other vehicles (mostly all GM). I've been proud to be part of the culture that is the camaro.
While at the Gen6 unveil, I explained to a few of the other moderators that there was a point many moons ago that I almost became a blue oval boy.
Long story short, when I went to buy my first car (the 78LT... still have her too. lol), she was one of two cars I was going to look at and the first in line. The other was an 86 Fox body 5.0 mustang...
I had spoken to the owner of the mustang and agreed on a price but went to check the camaro out first as they were only a few miles apart.
Had the previous owner not accepted my purchase offer, I would have been rolling home in a mustang.
But, the guy accepted my offer and home I came with my new car and I've been hooked on Camaro ever since!

In January of 2006, we were treated to the concept at the NAIAS.

Following that, we had the first live action transformers movie starring Bumblebee as the camaro concept and new camaro forums were popping up left and right.

Then the 5th gen officially launched. I had 3 different orders for a 5th gen at different times, but as I said above... life gets in the way sometimes. (marriage, kid, divorce, job loss, etc)

I'm actually one of the only moderators on this site that has never actually owned a 5th gen. (I'm also one of the only moderators to ever be banned from this site...)
But its given me the ability to step back and remain unbiased about the car in its entirety.

I've driven just about every version of the 5th gen available. From completely stock v6s all the way to twin turbo'd or supercharged 500ci v8s pushing 4 digit hp.
(We had a list for the first fest of who all wanted me to drive their car and critique it for them... and maybe show them a few things. lol )

Those who know me well, know that I'm very honest, candid and straight to the point. I don't mince words nor do I worry about peoples feelings when they ask for my opinions. As such, I'm no longer allowed to be a judge at many of the car shows I attend.

I've always liked the 5th gen. I really have. But it didn't pull at my heart strings the way my 4th gens did and my 78 still does.

Then GM brought back the Z28 along with the refresh design and my interests were piqued once again for the car. It is an amazing piece of machinery. The hot laps they had set up at the unveiling were fantastic. 120+mph in the rain on the back stretch is enough to get the heart pumping for sure.

Another car GM brought out around the same time was the new C7 Stingray corvette. And that car... to put it simply... ripped the heart out of my chest.
It had that pull, that sleek sexiness, that exotic feel, those sharp lines with flowing curves that reminded me so much of my 78 camaro... and they offered it in green!!!!

So for a period of time, my mind was made up. Thanks 5th gen, but the Stingray has me hooked.

I hadn't put a lot of thought into the 6th gen. I knew it was coming out, but my declining feelings for the 5th gen didn't allow me to build up as much anticipation as I had when the 5th gen first made its premiere.

Then a few months back, a new thread in the mods section pops up about an invite to the 6th gen unveiling. You didn't have to ask me twice.

By now, we've all seen the pictures of the car and some have been fortunate enough to see the car in person. To touch it, to feel it, to sit in it, to breathe in its presence.

I have to say, I'm not in love completely, but I'm falling hard.
this song comes to mind... lol

The 6th gen has, for lack of a better term, presence.

Yes, its a new car.
Yes, its the new camaro.
and yes, that aura can artificially inflate the perception about the car.

I will do my best to not allow artificial bias into this.

Lets start with the base model.
The LT. (history lesson...back in the day, that stood for Luxury Touring)

Both the I4T and the V6 are offered in the LT package.
I'm very excited about the I4T being offered as the base model.
To all those out there that think its blasphemy to have a 4cly because they are stuck with a misguided nostalgic mentality, I have two words for you. Grow up.

I'm a performance junkie, I haven't owned a car in my life that wasn't modified in some way shape or form. (and that ranges from 4cl saturns to v8s with nitrous and more). I'm seriously contemplating getting the LTG for the pure and simple fact that it will be fun to modify and push it to its limits, then past them.
I easily forsee that there will be plenty of aftermarket support for the LTG as it is already being offered in 6 or so other GM vehicles.
Not to mention, I love the underdog.

This "little 4 banger" will suprise you. And if GM can price it just right, they will sell like hotcakes.
Same goes with the v6. Altho, now that there is a lower tier engine package, the v6 guys can now rag on the I4 guys. lol

The big question that is on everyone's minds is: Wheres the TTV6?
Keep in mind that the TTV6 in the ATS-V is pushing nearly the same power as the LT1 V8.
I'm sure we will see it, but it probably wont be for another year at least.

I am very intrigued by the AFM in the V6 as well.

The RS package adds a unique twist on the car with the chrome "bumperettes" on the lower grille.
A significant nod back to the 70-73 split bumper RS cars.
The base model has a look of a lean fighter. With the RS package it gets a little more aggressive.

Then comes the SS.

The svelte brawler. This guy just looks like hes ready to take on the world in more ways than one.

I've seen some complaints about the SS lower grille looking like $10.00 mesh screen from home depot. However, those comments are coming from people who haven't seen the car in person.

The lower grille on the SS has a "3D" effect to it. Its jagged and raw. From the right angle, it looks like sharks skin under microscope. Or maybe just a sharks mouth with rows upon rows of sharp teeth... ready to eat a few ponies on the road.

Comparing the base model to the SS is difficult. A lot of what went into both designs was functionality, airflow, and performance. Its a case of form follows function.

I really like the flow through "air ducts" on the RS fascia compared to the SS. But I like the overall SS fascia as a package more.

Some know me as being Mr Nitpicky. I'm meticulous when it comes to details. (ask anyone who's car I've pulled to pieces pointing out every little scuff and out of place item.

Exterior thoughts:
The badge locations for the RS and SS seem to be putting people off.
I think it works, but its on the ragged edge of doing so.
It allows for a clean upper grille area (minus the Chevy badge), and is subtle enough that they are identifiable, but not in your face.

The Camaro badges on the side of the car however, almost seem out of place.
Its nothing to do with the badges themselves, just that there is a lot of real estate surrounding them. I do think they look better than the "CAMARO" lettering of the 5th gen tho. However, I will probably be debadging the exterior of mine either way.

The headlights say "CAMARO" on them. A nice feature, but kinda useless. I think it would have been better to have the Camaro emblem subtly added inside the housing similar to the corvette headlights.
The overall molding of the fascia around the headlights has an aggressive sculpting that is really pronounced.

The gas door location "feels" too far forward as it has been moved to in front of the rear tire instead of behind like the 5th gen. This is a nitpicky thing for me but nothing that should deter anything.

The 3rd brake light doesnt sit well with me. Its soft and rounded whereas the rest of the car has edges and protrusions. I know there are govt standards to size/location/etc, but I feel that this was just not given as much thought as other parts of the car.
Its one of the few things I dont care for about the car.
I would really like to see a spoiler mounted 3rd brake light and a body colored filler panel to replace the stock one... and I'm sure the aftermarket will be quick to support.

The tail lights have that "3D"-ness to them as well following the styling of the Stingray.

I was excited to see that both SS and LT models will be getting "skinned" underneath similar to the corvette to cut down on drag and road noise.

Another thing I'm glad that didn't make its way from the 5th gen is the "gills".
The concept gills were great as they were actually open, not just ridges stamped in sheetmetal. However, they are absent from the 6th gen and I think it looks great without them. Esp if they aren't functional. That being said, it will be a short time before the aftermarket offers something to add them back on.

Trunk space feels deeper than the 5th gen. But I believe that is from the slightly narrower entry into the trunk and the reduced angle of the rear body/windshield.
We will have to throw Randy in the trunk at the Fest and get his impressions.

Hood vents on the SS are a nod to the 69 SS hood vents. They are a flowing evolution of an older design. I didn't care for them at first looking from the exterior, but sitting in the drivers seat, they look really good. And they are functional to boot (not much on this car isnt).

Speaking of sitting in the car...
I had the chance to sit in all 3 vehicles. I spent more time in the V6 (barely had any time in the SS).
I'm 6'1" and had two guys get in after me that were 6'2" and 6'6" respectively. Once you get the seat set up right, we all fit with room to move and without feeling cramped or constrained.

The bolsters on the seats hug you firmly, but not rigidly. Its a secure/comfortable feeling in the seat.
The steering wheel feels right at home with button placement and overall size.
The shifter feels just right as well as the arm rests on the doors.

One thing I did notice in the V6 (then tested in the SS) was the hard buttons underneath the center display for the HVAC system. The center display trim protrudes just a little farther out than I feel it should. It overhangs the hvac buttons enough that if the car is in park (or in an odd gear for the M6) it leaves you little room to snake your hand down to push the buttons. Again, I'm Mr Nitpicky...lol

The center console display itself seems to be "stuck on" the dash and I think it would look better if it could have been recessed into the dash and blended in. I also think it would be better if the screen itself was angled just slightly towards the driver instead of straight on towards the back of the car.

The view out the front of the car is an improvement over the 5th gen. With the nose dropping away for more road visibility and a sleeker hoodline reminiscent of the Stingray.

The cabin has a slight feel of a fighter cockpit. The trim around the gauges, the center display, the hvac vents to the shifter and the tapering trim on the center console. Or maybe rather than a fighter cockpit, its reminiscent of a Lamborghini rendering of a cockpit.

The stitching and trim has a nice subtle feel to it. The door panels are styled and molded just right to flow with the lines inside and outside of the car.
The tapering down of the passenger side dash is a nice touch as well.

I like the large HVAC vents on the console. That is all... lol

The side mirrors have a clean flow to them and when set up properly, will offer sufficient viewing.

The rear window is very similar to the 5th gen... ie minimal visibility...lmao

I really like the trimless rearview mirror. Its a clean look to accent the rest of the interior.

Rear seating is again at a minimum, but some of the other mods did some maneuvering and were able to sit comfortably in the back with another in the drivers seat.

Other nitpickyness:
Suitcase mufflers... It would be awesome if they were painted black from the factory (like in the Players handbook) to allow them to blend into the car better.

The shark fin antennae is a little longer and a little more pronounced as is the reverse mohawk of the roofline. It all flows really well.

The overhead light panel seems a little plain in comparison to the rest of the interior styling.

I wish we could get rid of the govt mandated warning labels on the visors.

No gas cap.

Engine bays are packed to the brim.

I wonder if the SS intake tube couldn't have had a smoother bend radius.

There were a few other little things I found with the cars, but after talking to Al at the event, I'm not concerned as there were still parts of the car that were not production parts (exhaust piping, diff housing, etc)

I would like to know the gear ratios offered for each of the drivetrains as well as if the I4T and the automatic v6 will get get a posi rear end or not (I fear it wont).
And other random stuff like how much belt deflection the LT1 has and how close is the belt running at maximum deflection to the mounting boss that is cast into the water pump?
but those are questions that will be answered as we get closer to production.

As I said above, I've never owned a 5th gen. I've driven countless ones at the annual Fest and at local meet and greets and off and on over the years. I've seen the cars taken from one extreme to the other.

I really, really like the 5th gen but when the stingray came out, I fell in lust. And now... the 6th gen...

The best comparison I could make is that the 5th gen is that really good friend you've had for years. You've had some fun together from time to time, she's met your family. But you wouldn't marry her. You just don't love her in that way. You care for her, but its not perfect to you.

Whereas the Stingray is the crazy hot, wild, stripper girlfriend that you just want to drive all night long. Its thrilling and an emotional roller coaster. But you know its not practical in the long term.

The 6th gen, if I may say so, is the love child between those two cars.

Its big enough for a family, but still gorgeous all around. You don't feel like you are making exceptions or having to sacrifice with it. Its lithe and athletic compared to the 5th gen, but not an all out sports star like the stingray. Its a beautiful marriage of form and function.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel at the unveiling. But after hanging around after nearly everyone else had left to climb back in the cars, put the seats where I want them, crawl under the cars, reach into the engine bays and feel the car thoroughly inside and out...

I think I'm in love.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

photo dump.
Attached Images

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Good stuff!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'll fit in this trunk too.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Blue Oval guy?

I'mma pretend I dit'unt hear that shit.

And, ya, I'll be happy to get in the trunk. But only if I get to drive at after. lol

My favorite part of the interior is the HVAC vents sitting lower center too. Cool touch imo.

But, dude, if you got a 5th Gen AND a stipper it's all good.

But you didn't mention the 'Overall Size Look and Feel' part. Does it appear and feel that much smaller? Easy to tell? Subtle?
Old 05-23-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Blue Oval guy?

I'mma pretend I dit'unt hear that shit.

And, ya, I'll be happy to get in the trunk. But only if I get to drive at after. lol

My favorite part of the interior is the HVAC vents sitting lower center too. Cool touch imo.

But, dude, if you got a 5th Gen AND a stipper it's all good.

But you didn't mention the 'Overall Size Look and Feel' part. Does it appear and feel that much smaller? Easy to tell? Subtle?
yeah, there's a little more to the ford story than that. remind me at 3am saturday morning at the fest...

I like the vents. I've seen a lot of people complaining about them, but after playing with them in the car and being able to do it without taking your eyes off the windshield, I like it.

downside to having a 5th gen and a stripper... they get prissy over which one gets driven more... lmao then theres more money that has to go to both.

unless its right next to a 5th gen, it doesnt feel smaller from the outside.

sitting in the drivers seat, it is... tighter. but part of that is the seat bolsters.

Everything is in its place and within arms reach... well, maybe not for you Randy.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
ccflgearhead

Drives: 2010 supercharged 2SS/RS Camaro
great review. thanks.
ccflgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23
Trunk space feels deeper than the 5th gen. But I believe that is from the slightly narrower entry into the trunk.
There's a NARROWER entry for the trunk!!! One thing I was hoping for would have been a Larger entry to the trunk, not that I use the trunk a lot...but when you look at the back end of the car it looks like it could be bigger than it is (the trunk entry). I was hoping for a little bigger entry for the 6th Gen, but in reality it sure won't be a deal breaker.

Quote:
I'm 6'1" and had two guys get in after me that were 6'2" and 6'6" respectively. Once you get the seat set up right, we all fit with room to move and without feeling cramped or constrained.
I'm VERY glad you mentioned this. I found measurements online about Front Headroom, but nothing beats tall people who have physically sat in the vehicle.

There is still one thing that concerns me though and I will explain it. Take two people, one who is 6'2" and one who is 6'6" and sit them on the ground (on their butts) with their backs to a wall and their legs straight out. The 6'6" guys legs would very well stick out farther than the 6'2" guy...BUT...the top of the 6'2" guys head MAY be higher than the guy who is 6'6" (despite the fact that if they were standing up, the 6'6" guy would obviously be taller) reason being is that some people are all legs and some have their height from the waist up. I feel that I am more of a waist up guy as sometimes I have a hard time finding shirts that are long enough to tuck into my pants well without pulling out.

Not fitting well (with headroom) would be a deal breaker for me, but I have heard from several sources that the seats go even lower than the 5th Gen's did, and I won't be able to make my official call until I am IN a 6th Gen Camaro...only time will tell.

Quote:
I wish we could get rid of the govt mandated warning labels on the visors.
I do too, I even saw a website that sells stickers that go over those and black them out. Here is a link for them from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Visor-Label-Ov.../dp/B005VHLZRO

Quote:
No gas cap.
Really? Maybe it's just a little flip door that the gas pump pushes it's way through? Doesn't bother me too much, as I am certain that they tested it and it doesn't leak gas, but it is a little strange.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
There's a NARROWER entry for the trunk!!! One thing I was hoping for would have been a Larger entry to the trunk, not that I use the trunk a lot...but when you look at the back end of the car it looks like it could be bigger than it is (the trunk entry). I was hoping for a little bigger entry for the 6th Gen, but in reality it sure won't be a deal breaker.

Everything is a little smaller relatively speaking. A better term would be compact.

I'm VERY glad you mentioned this. I found measurements online about Front Headroom, but nothing beats tall people who have physically sat in the vehicle.

There is still one thing that concerns me though and I will explain it. Take two people, one who is 6'2" and one who is 6'6" and sit them on the ground (on their butts) with their backs to a wall and their legs straight out. The 6'6" guys legs would very well stick out farther than the 6'2" guy...BUT...the top of the 6'2" guys head MAY be higher than the guy who is 6'6" (despite the fact that if they were standing up, the 6'6" guy would obviously be taller) reason being is that some people are all legs and some have their height from the waist up. I feel that I am more of a waist up guy as sometimes I have a hard time finding shirts that are long enough to tuck into my pants well without pulling out.

Not fitting well (with headroom) would be a deal breaker for me, but I have heard from several sources that the seats go even lower than the 5th Gen's did, and I won't be able to make my official call until I am IN a 6th Gen Camaro...only time will tell.
I understand completely. I have weird proportions. short arms in relation to my legs, but a wide and tall chest. I sit fairly close to the steering wheel (which... if I may brag, I had 2 of the pro drivers commend me for setting up my seat and mirrors "correctly" during the ride and drive)

I found that I will have "just enough" room to wear a helmet (typically a closed fist fitting between your head and the roof) while driving the car.
But for the rest out there with long legs, short body, or vice versa, I can't say for sure. you'll just have to try it out at the fest and see for yourself.

I do too, I even saw a website that sells stickers that go over those and black them out. Here is a link for them from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Visor-Label-Ov.../dp/B005VHLZRO
I love the aftermarket... lol
Really? Maybe it's just a little flip door that the gas pump pushes it's way through? Doesn't bother me too much, as I am certain that they tested it and it doesn't leak gas, but it is a little strange.
its becoming the norm in the automotive world. and yeah, it is just a little flapper at the top.
1 less part (or 2 if you count the lanyard) to make and IIRC, the system is designed to prevent theft as well by having a piece just down the neck that will prevent a hose from reaching all the way to the tank.

and here's a trunk shot for you
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 05-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #10
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
This car is insane...i haven't even seen it in person...it will only get better.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #11
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Good lawd that's a small trunk opening. I thought the 5th gen's was comically small and that they would surely open it up a bit next go-round.
It won't be an issue for most people I imagine, but I did find it occasionally frustrating when I was trying to fit larger items into my previous 5th gens. This looks a bit worse. It still wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either, though (I do have a Silverado, afterall).

Did you sit in the rear seats by chance? Specs say there is less headroom and legroom, and at just 5'8", I couldn't even sit upright in the back of the 5th gen. I've had 2nd gens and 3rd gens and ridden in the back of 4th gens and I could fit into all of those (barely, and only if the front seats were not back too far). It sounds like the 6th gen back seats will be the smallest ever, and unusable for anyone over the age of 8 (or thereabouts). However, I guess 8 or so years is quite a while if you need to shuttle around 2-3 kids in it.

As for practicality, other than the (probably smallest ever for Camaro) back seats, the Stingray honestly beats the 6th gen in every aspect (albeit for more $$$). It's smaller in every external dimension and has better visibility (so I read) so easier to deal with traffic and parking, it has a much larger rear opening and just as much (or more?) luggage capacity, and is lighter and more aerodynamic so gets better gas mileage to boot (than an SS anyway). Not to take away anything from the 6th gen, but for those of us without kids (or with older ones) and who can afford it, I feel that the Stingray is the more practical choice.
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #12
suplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
and here's a trunk shot for you
Thank you for posting the Trunk Shot. Again, not a deal breaker, but I thought they would have opened it a little more. It really does look like they have room to.

Oh, and after seeing your picture of the gas cap, I almost think it's better now. This way it can't be accidentally cross threaded when putting it back on. Just insert the pump handle, and go.

I wonder if anyone knows if the windows will still index. You know how they open a little, when you open the door, and then close up again when you close the door. I'm assuming they will, but nobody has talked about it yet.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
suplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
This car is insane...i haven't even seen it in person...it will only get better.
I doubt I could have phrased it any better than that. I have a 2011 and have been so content with it (I just barely have over 8,000 miles on it, and I bought it new in April of 2011) that I planned on driving it for much longer. But next week I am bringing it to the dealer to have some recall work done on it (the key fobs and the bolt under the driver seat that raises the seat height), and although I wouldn't have done this before, I think I am going to "talk" to the dealer about what I could get for it on a trade in for a 2016.

Of course, we all know what kind of trouble you can get into when you just want to "talk" about stuff!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
How did it feel, driving a million dollar car?
Too fast?
In the rain?

Good write-up, thanks