Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
Put it the beast away for hibernation

It’s a sad day today. I put my beast away for the winter today, I think I shed a tear lol. Not just my car, but also my bike and last month my boat and wave runner. It’s gonna be a long winter. I guess it just makes spring that much better. On a serious note, I had a hell of a time putting fuel stabilizer in, at 1st I didn’t realize there was another push plate behind the black one and I was spilling stabilizer all over the floor through the over flow drain, what a friggin pain in the ass mess that was! Next year I’m getting a long thin funnel and that will be the end of that sh!t show lol. I ran it for about 30 minutes cleaned and dried it, then parked it on carpeted floor Matt’s with 40 psi in the tires. Where have you guys been hooking up the battery tender? It looks like the jumper cable hook ups under the hood should work but just getting some opinions. To all you cold weather guys F winter and thanks for any other ideas you have to help preserve my beast
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I feel your pain. Snuggled mine in for the snowy season on Friday.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I don't know how you guys do it...guess I'll quit bitching about our summers. Rarely does it ever freeze for even a few hours down this way in the Rio grande Valley. It's been decades since our last hard freeze that has ruined the citrus.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
I don't know how you guys do it...guess I'll quit bitching about our summers. Rarely does it ever freeze for even a few hours down this way in the Rio grande Valley. It's been decades since our last hard freeze that has ruined the citrus.
Painfully...then again, I've found (in general) we appreciate our spring/summer/falls a bit more up here. Cars, bikes, boats...we tend to use them more often because we don't have a full 12 months to take advantage.

Enjoy your warm winter!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
1roadking

Yes Argos and yes Wyndham. It’s a double edge sword.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #6
TheElementalCashew

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1roadking View Post
It’s a sad day today. I put my beast away for the winter today, I think I shed a tear lol. Not just my car, but also my bike and last month my boat and wave runner. It’s gonna be a long winter. I guess it just makes spring that much better. On a serious note, I had a hell of a time putting fuel stabilizer in, at 1st I didn’t realize there was another push plate behind the black one and I was spilling stabilizer all over the floor through the over flow drain, what a friggin pain in the ass mess that was! Next year I’m getting a long thin funnel and that will be the end of that sh!t show lol. I ran it for about 30 minutes cleaned and dried it, then parked it on carpeted floor Matt’s with 40 psi in the tires. Where have you guys been hooking up the battery tender? It looks like the jumper cable hook ups under the hood should work but just getting some opinions. To all you cold weather guys F winter and thanks for any other ideas you have to help preserve my beast
Hey, I'm moving back up to NH from TX next year, but I usually store my car down here anyways during the winter so I should be used to that.

You should have a small black funnel somewhere in your trunk with the tire kit. I did the same as you when I first put stabilizer in. Just wait till next year when you do some WOT runs and all that stabilizer you spilled heats up and starts smelling. Thought I had a gas leak for a few days.

I hook the tender up under the hood. Seems to be the easiest way.

On a side note, I always put my cars up on jackstands. I left my car on Race Ramps Flatstoppers for three months earlier this year, and the stock tires were still heavily flatspotted when I moved the car.

Mods: Rotofab CAI, Tony Mamo TB, Kooks headers (green cats), 18% LPE lower pulley, E85/FlexFuel sensor. BC Forged RS41s (19x10, 19x12)/PS4S, R888R (305/325)
Dyno: E40: 661whp/703wtq, 93: 633whp/674wtq

TheElementalCashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:00 AM   #7
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElementalCashew View Post
I left my car on Race Ramps Flatstoppers for three months earlier this year, and the stock tires were still heavily flatspotted when I moved the car.
That's good to know. I was looking at buying a set of those and wondered if they were any good.

Looks like I'm buying another set of jack stands (they are quite a bit cheaper).
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #8
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Do you guys put the car back into transport mode?
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #9
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
For what it's worth, I've never had to store a car for winter either - but I have at least read through a couple other threads in here that you don't want to put cars on jack stands as the suspension isn't meant to be "expanded" for longer periods of times, and that it lessens the life of the bushings(?).

Increasing tire pressure is what helps reduce the risk of flat spots. There are also curved stands.

For the fuel - Yes there are two baffles that the funnel must be pushed through to keep them full open while filling.

I may be remembering incorrectly, so buyer beware. EDIT: This was the thread I was thinking of http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ht=winter+jack

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
1roadking

I'm thinking about just moving the car forward and backward a door or so every month or so.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Do you guys put the car back into transport mode?
No, with a battery tender (in my case), that's not necessary. In fact, when I stored the '12 ZL1 for winter, I didn't put it in that mode, disconnect the battery, OR use a tender, and it still started right up 5 months later.

But that's a good idea I hadn't thought of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
For what it's worth, I've never had to store a car for winter either - but I have at least read through a couple other threads in here that you don't want to put cars on jack stands as the suspension isn't meant to be "expanded" for longer periods of times, and that it lessens the life of the bushings(?).
It could. Bushings are "indexed" to the suspension geometry when flat on the ground...meaning they are actually "relaxed" when the suspension is compressed...when the control arms are hanging out there, they are twisted and flexed.

Quote:
I'm thinking about just moving the car forward and backward a door or so every month or so.
The tires won't like to be moved. If it's cold, movement is what is most likely to cause the cracks. It's best to let the tires warm up in the Spring, take it for a ride, and after a short while, any flat spots will be gone on modern tires.

Again, the last car I stored for the winter was my 2012 ZL1. Those tires came with all the same warnings we're all familiar with, and did not flat spot. It was never moved.

I am eager to see what these new Goodyear 3R tires do when I take the car out in the Spring....they are by far the most aggressive tire I've ever owned.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Heated garage
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Heated garage
Rub it in, why don'tcha!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
Michael52

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1, 1977 Yellow 308GTB
Quote:
Firstly there should be a plastic funnel in a zip lock bag that came with the car so you can get the fuel stabilizer in properly. As for winter storage , I have been storing my Ferrari since 1999 and now my ZL1, and Mustang GT in the following manner.

1. Oil change
2. Detail
3. Fuel stabilizer in full tank and run for 15-20 min.
4. Battery tender to keep battery charge.
5. Over inflate tires to 45-48 PSI (Place a vapour barrier under the car )
6. Steel wool in exhaust tips ( keeps mice out just in case)
7. Blocks behind the wheels
8. If manual, leave in neutral with parking brake off
9. Car cover
10. Once asleep, leave her alone until spring
I happen to have a heated garage, so I don't need to worry about cold temperatures. Maybe someone else has some input on this.
Michael52 is offline   Reply With Quote