Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-14-2020, 06:14 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Playing CDs

At the risk of being flamed for not embracing modern technology (as I've been accused of being stuck with the dinosaurs for never owning an automatic transmission), I have a great tip for anyone who wants to play their CDs in the Camaro.

If you have your own portable CD player (CD? What's a CD? Isn't that a savings account at the bank???) in your old boxes in the basement or attic (or maybe you actually still use it), simply get a 3.5 mm male-to-male headphone patch cord and connect it to the auxiliary headphone jack in the armrest. Connect the other end to the headphone output from your CD player. Then you can either use the 12v power adapter if it came with one or batteries to run it. AUX shows up in your audio source options list when something is plugged into that port and viola! It sounds really good too!

I just have way too many CDs to sit down and transfer them to my iPhone. It would take me a month. It's much easier for me just go to my shelf and pick which ones I want to listen to in the car. I have about 800 songs on my iPhone now but that's not even a quarter of my collection.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #2
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Or, during the upcoming cold dark days of winter, you could put your CD's onto a memory stick and have all of them in a small handy dandy package. I'm old, don't like carrying around CD's in my vehicles anymore, too much hassle, lol
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #3
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I just burn down what I want onto my phone memory card and play it direct through the system that way. I have an enormous CD collection, but also, no need to carry them around, just copy what I want.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Or, during the upcoming cold dark days of winter, you could put your CD's onto a memory stick and have all of them in a small handy dandy package. I'm old, don't like carrying around CD's in my vehicles anymore, too much hassle, lol
Yeah that would take the same amount of time for me to do as loading them all into my iPhone. I have a 128 GB iPhone 11 so I have plenty of memory for them I just won't be sitting at my computer for hours on end loading either the phone or a memory stick.

I'm 42. I started getting CDs in 1987 when I got my first CD player for my birthday (which I still have, a 1987 Sylvania that works great). By the time I graduated college in 1999 I already had probably 200. I have around 450-500 now. Partly because when CDs first came out they were simply transfers from tape that might not even be the master, and then eventually every great album ever made was finally remastered properly in the last 20 years so I had to buy the same CD over again
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Aside from any logistical objections to carrying around physical media, the one problem I see with this option is sound quality. Your portable CD player will have its own digital-to-analog (DAC) to get the signal to the aux jack in the console. Then, the radio unit most likely converts it back to digital to do whatever processing it does, and then finally sends it through another DAC process to get to the speaker outputs. Doing a full-res rip (not MP3) rip to a USB stick or phone and plugging that into the console port will eliminate an entire DAC process, including the removal of the poor analog output stage on your portable CD player.

One thought crossed my mind on this, though: what about a portable USB CD/DVD drive, like one would use with a laptop that doesn't have its own CD drive? That should stream a digital output to the car's USB port. The question is can the car's system recognize this is as storage like it does a phone or flash drive? I have no idea.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
You can easily copy all you care to carry into your car in a lazy evening so you don't have to fumble with disc changing. Retaining album art and song titles and playback controls, which you lose with aux input.

This thread sounds like a cry for help from a stubborn person who has run out of justification for doing what they have failed to do for the last twenty years.

Man up. Stop pretending like digitizing your collection isn't as hardcore as dealing with the compromises that come from having it on hundreds of separate CDs. You are allowed to have both while not looking ridiculous in 2020 with a discman in your car
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
You can easily copy all you care to carry into your car in a lazy evening so you don't have to fumble with disc changing. Retaining album art and song titles and playback controls, which you lose with aux input.

This thread sounds like a cry for help from a stubborn person who has run out of justification for doing what they have failed to do for the last twenty years.

Man up. Stop pretending like digitizing your collection isn't as hardcore as dealing with the compromises that come from having it on hundreds of separate CDs. You are allowed to have both while not looking ridiculous in 2020 with a discman in your car
Hey I feel for this guy. I couldn't let go of my cassette tapes at one point either.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
I'm 53 years old and started buying CD's in 1987. I get where you are coming from. But...

Honestly, ripping a ton of CD's is not a big deal.
20 years ago when I decided to go all digital I had a cd collection over 500 discs. Ripping them was my winter project. While watching a hockey or football game, at every commercial break insert a new disc to rip. It's not like you have to sit in front of the computer while it's working. At a rate of 20 discs a day it goes pretty quick and a month later you are done. And you'll be glad you did it.

Aside from creating a number of different play lists based on genre or whatever, I created one that is simply every song I like. That list is currently 1700 songs. I normally just select that list and set it to shuffle.
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #9
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
I'm 45, I've been ripping my CDs into an external HD for... maybe 10 years now. All the new music I buy is directly downloaded. I don't think I would take the time now to rip everything (much like you my CD collection is rather large) but I managed to keep up over the years and did them all slowly.

My mother, who picked up a new Blazer, is now encountering this issue. Much of her music is on CD format and I have already started slowly ripping her favorites and putting them onto a USB drive. She is adapting to the new technology, especially since she no longer has CDs taking up space in the new car.

So, if you have kids make them do it for you. As I won't do it for myself any longer I am doing this for my mother. Isn't that what kids are for?
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I'm almost 60, used to think I'd miss having CD's in the car.... nah, not anymore. Rolling with the times and tech.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
I don't even bother ripping CDs, I haven't ripped CDs in probably a decade. As a gigging musician and studio hired gun, I couldn't even begin to imagine the amount of CD equivalent music I would have. Any CD I ever had, was just simply replaced with a digital download, usually for pennies. And if it matters to anybody, I'm old. :-)

Last edited by Zaqwert6; 08-14-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
One thing to note when copying cds is that our stupid, idiotic chevy overlords decided that they wanted to hide support of the flac format. The car can play flac files fine if you trick it by renaming the file extension to mp3 or m4a or such, but the metadata scraper software they use goes by file extension so it wont display meta data on those files.

If you use lossless m4a (i think only apple stuff uses that) you should be fine. Obviously the various lossy formats works fine too. I prefer flac though and losing the metadata isn't a deal breaker for me. If i'm playing from a thumb drive, i'll just shuffle all anyway.

Thanks chevy for crippling mylink for no reason! and for hiring special needs developers for the metadata scraping (which i guess were supplied by gracenote)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #13
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
To OP, that's not a headphone jack it's an AUX Jack and that is exactly what its designed for.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I uploaded all my CDs to iTunes years ago.

I have about 800 CDs. It didn't take a month to do it, just a few evenings.

Now I can listen to my entire music library anywhere on my phone, either in the car or in the gym with wireless earbuds.

OK Boomerr, get with the program!

PS I'm 68 years old.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote