Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
1LE Dealer Oil Change? Trust issues?

With 3,000 miles on my '18 1LE I've decided to go ahead and change the engine oil. I would prefer to do this myself(I changed the diff fluid @ 1500 miles) but I do have 2 free dealer oil changes at my disposal that came with the vehicle purchase.

My main issue is, I am the only person I trust 100% working on my car. However, with how simple and direct an oil change is, I feel I should be okay with having the dealer perform this maintenance, especially since it is FREE.

Did y'all even bother with the free dealer oil changes or am I better off doing it myself?

Any specific questions I can ask the dealer to screen for their competence with this service?

What oil and filter combo should I request if I track the car through the winter into the spring?
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Both my Corvette and the Camaro offered me free changes. I wouldn't let the dealer near it. I don't know the guy changing it, I don't know what his expertise is, and even the lot kid running around the lot is a problem. If you are the least bit paranoid, change it yourself.

Certainly there are exceptions to the rule; you know the tech person changing the oil, you've been with them for 15 years, etc. etc......; but if you don't know anybody and your car just disappears to go back into the shop, I'd stay away.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Its the lowest ranking FNG that does oil changes.

When I was offered free oil changes I handed them right back and said you'll never see the car again unless its catastrophic and on a flat bed.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post

When I was offered free oil changes I handed them right back and said you'll never see the car again unless its catastrophic and on a flat bed.
^ This.

Do it yourself. It's not free, but the piece of mind is priceless.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:43 PM   #5
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I have all kinds of trust issues, but trusting the dealer to do a free oil change is not one of them.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I had my oil changed at my local dealership. Because they were still putting semi synthetic at the time, I bought the oil and filter of my choice and they were only going to charge 15 bucks. Oil boy spilled oil on my manifolds and smacked my window with the key fan while returning it. After that it was free of charge.

Needless to say my biggest fear was having some careless 18 year old beanpole messing something up and sure enough he kind of did lol.

That wasn't a free change because it was my requested break in change so it didn't could against me. It's a bit out of the way but for my free changes I will be going to Stingray Chevy as it's a reputable dealership and I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.

I prefer to do it myself but with these new cars having records being kept and what not, I don't know if i should take it in to get done or not. Plus the same dealership that did my break in change is now offering full synthetic changes for just 50 bucks, not a bad deal provided they dont murk anything up.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
I never used my free oil changes, I hate anyone but me touching the car. As far as what oil to use take your choice of oil that is recommended in the HP Supplement you received with the car. I have been running Valvoline SynPower MST 5w-40 since my break in oil change with a Wix XP filter and the car runs great.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #8
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
I bought mine slightly used off someone here in the forum but with that said as soon as I picked it up I changed the oil myself. These cars are just not what you want the lowest on the rung shop member of your local Chevy dealer touching. Never thought about the records keeping aspect of doing it yourself, anyone have any experience on what the dealers require?
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Both my Corvette and the Camaro offered me free changes. I wouldn't let the dealer near it. I don't know the guy changing it, I don't know what his expertise is, and even the lot kid running around the lot is a problem. If you are the least bit paranoid, change it yourself.

Certainly there are exceptions to the rule; you know the tech person changing the oil, you've been with them for 15 years, etc. etc......; but if you don't know anybody and your car just disappears to go back into the shop, I'd stay away.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
^ This.

Do it yourself. It's not free, but the piece of mind is priceless.
+1
Old 11-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #10
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
yeah, do it yourself.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'm going counter to the trend here. I 've had three free oil changes (2 from GM and 1 from dealer) done with excellent results. The dealership has a dedicated shop for oil changes with a drive over pit (no lifting needed) and a large window in the waiting lounge so you can watch. I spoke with the tech upfront he knew that 10 quarts were needed without me promting him. We checked the dipstick together afterwards. All in all - a solid result for all three changes.

So, i say at least check out your dealership, ask questions, and see the facilities. Maybe you'll get lucky like me.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #12
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Depends on the dealer, very heavily.

Oil change is something simple that any vehicle owner can do. Plus you get to choose your own fluids, filters, and get the job done knowing that you did the torque on the bolt and oil filter correctly, knowing you put in exactly the right amount of oil, the right type, etc.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
If I had the choice I would always do it myself, however, for the warranty there is no way around having proven that the service was actually performed and registered in a certified workshop / dealership's workshop.

Good thing, that I managed to convince the shop-floor lead to be with / work together with the tech.
I was also allowed to bring my own filter and oil as long as it was GM approved material (Motul X-Clean8100 & AC-D PF64).
Only had to pay for the labor - $28
Attached Images

Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i got my 2 first ones for free and still go back so no issues here!

Tags
1le, change, dealer, oil