Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
XAUSTD

Drives: ‘18 Camaro ZL1, ‘16 F150 S/C Coyote
Newbie exhaust question

Just picked up a white '18 ZL1 6mt. Had just under 10k on it and only mods were LED sidemarkers and a Roto-fab intake. Interestingly enough it was sold as Chevy certified even with the intake. I wasn't going to question that, lol.

Does an axle back system get rid of that nasty crimp in the factory piping or do you need to do a cat back? Thanks for the help!

Edit: Since I have your attention. Does removing the bowtie on the trunk leave a clean look. Meaning, is there an indentation stamped into the trunk for the bowtie or anything?

Last edited by XAUSTD; 09-13-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added info
XAUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
There are a number of aftermarket systems, both axle and catback that give you that option.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
XAUSTD

Ok, thanks. Damn you are in Fredericksburg. I grew up in Northern VA and went to Mary Washington College (before it be came a "university") lol
Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
impulse

Drives: Big Dually ... RIP ZL1
I wish I lived in Flordia. Welcome to the club
Old 09-13-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
FWIW, the crimp looks worse than it actually is. The crimp is not a bottleneck on the stock exhaust system.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse View Post
I wish I lived in Flordia. Welcome to the club
Welcome & congrats!

My plan is to drop my exhaust & weld in a non-crimped pipe & leave the rest until I get an S-Type again. I actually like the sound of the stock NPP in track mode for everyday use. I’m sure I’ll get tired of it & want the slightly deeper tone., but for now less than $100 including piping & V-bands I’ll be happy.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #7
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
FWIW, the crimp looks worse than it actually is. The crimp is not a bottleneck on the stock exhaust system.
Didn’t Jannetti just post the other day they make a tad more HP without the crimp pipe? The sheer esthetics alone make my OCD peg the Oh hell no meter.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
XAUSTD

I like your idea about replacing that section.

Somewhat reminds me of when I had a VW with the VR6. The cheap way to a great sounding exhaust was to have the mid muffler cut out and replaced with a section of pipe.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
That crimped section bugged me to no end. When installing my AWE axleback I saw up close just how crimped it really is. On a supercharged car it HAS to be a restriction. I followed up by ordering and installing AWEs midpipe conversion kit to get rid the crimped section. It was worth every penny to my sanity.

*Someone did some dyno pulls on a Non-Supercharged SS Camaro and didn’t see a difference with the crimp removed. That has led people to post on here that there’s no difference. A Supercharged car is not the same thing. Our ZL1s are moving a lot more air than an N/A car.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hooker headers/Holley offers a Hooker Blackheart delete kit for the crimped section of the exhaust for around $150 that bolts in after cutting the crimped section out with clamps. I was thinking about that kit but not yet decided on it because I do want to keep the NPP exhaust on my Z.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The short crimped section is deceptive. You can leave it and there will be NO HP loss....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
Walkure

Drives: '17 ZL1 A10 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAUSTD View Post
Edit: Since I have your attention. Does removing the bowtie on the trunk leave a clean look. Meaning, is there an indentation stamped into the trunk for the bowtie or anything?

No indentation, it's just a regular emblem stuck to the paint. There are some pics here from when I replaced my rear emblem.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576216
Walkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #13
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
The short crimped section is deceptive. You can leave it and there will be NO HP loss....
Maybe on an SS. The Supercharged ZL1 engine moves a lot more air. People remove cats from supercharged cars for a reason. Same concept with the crimp.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
CSP performed dyno tests on about about their 800-RWHP between a completely stock cat' back (2" LTs, no cats to the OEM-catback) and AFE's 3-inch NPP-style catback. It pretty much picked-up ZERO power (it was within the differences in back-to-back dyno' runs with no changes to the set-up). He did show it seemed to be a restriction when you venture beyond that power level, but unless you're making more power than that, or you just want more sound or different tips, you'd probably be better off putting that money elsewhere if you're looking for power.

To each their own, though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote