Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
Lemondrop

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Good Axle-back exhaust for a daily driver?

I've been looking to put an axle-back system on my otherwise stock '10 SS. I'm not interested in header swaps or full cat-backs, just something to make it sound deeper and better than stock. I've looked into things similar to Flowmaster American Thunder or Borla's S-Type but am conscious about being obnoxiously loud. What's a recommended axle-back that's not too bad on drone or too loud for neighbors as a daily driver? I've heard Flowmasters are drone masters but Borla is a little more pricey.
Lemondrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
If you have a L99 I highly recommend the Solo Axleback with J-Pipes.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Lemondrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
If you have a L99 I highly recommend the Solo Axleback with J-Pipes.
Thank you I'll take a look. I've heard that's a truly drone free system.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
Ghosttowncs

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
As far as a relatively inexpensive model, I am pretty pleased with the Rev9 axle back (with mufflers) I purchased off of ebay. They seem to be very good quality, while not being completely obnoxious. Comparing my LS3 to my nephew's muffler deleted C5 with an LS1, I think mine sounds much better.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
wow sounds awesome.
any drone on the motorway though
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
I DD’d my Camaro until I retired.

I have Stainless Works retro chambered. It is cat back mot axle back. But I like the sound. I did not want loud like many, but I did want something a bit louder and deeper - more like a muscle car than stock. The SW fit the bill for me. You definitely hear it when driving but it is not too loud.

There are a ton of sound clips on this forum - I listened to a ton before deciding.
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I daily mine with flow masters but I admit it’s obnoxiously loud but that’s what I wanted lol. I would go with solo that was my other choice for a much more enjoyable daily driver experience which still sounds great.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I have a L99/vert and those cars are super quite... so I went with a muffler delete until I got my LTH
Old 08-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I’ve said it before in others threads - don’t rely on clips to make your choice. Most are just folks revving up their engines in the driveway for a few seconds. I checked out many of the clips and wondered what was this thing called “drone” all about. Well I found out the hard way. Even a little drone will wear you down on a long drive. Unless someone has actually had a particular exhaust for a period of time and specifically address how it sounds I’d take recommendations with a grain of salt.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:15 PM   #10
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
I have the SLP loudmouth 2, before headers and cam and everything else it was a really “tame” setup. Not so much now. I would recommend it for a deep/louder alternative that is not obnoxiously loud.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
Lemondrop

I was leaning toward Borla as Flowmaster and Solo seem a little too loud but the SLP loumouth 2 sounds incredible. Any drone on the highway?
Old 08-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
I have solo with headers and NO DRONE whatsoever. and dynamic when you give it the gas. go to their web site and listen
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:51 AM   #13
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman14ss View Post
I have solo with headers and NO DRONE whatsoever. and dynamic when you give it the gas. go to their web site and listen
I have the Solo Axle Back with LT headers also and it sounds great. I also have HF cats and I still have my factory resonator. Great cruising rumble and aggressive on WOT. No drone.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #14
sinlinson
2016 2SS Convertible

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS convertible
I have a stock 2011 LS3. Put on a Borla Atak axel back. Love to sound, no drone that I've heard. Sounds like a different car. Got it off Ebay at a discount.
sinlinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, exhaust axle back