Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
amboy49

Drives: Beginning a search to buy
Winter storage question

I will be putting my 2011 Synergy in storage in the next few weeks. I have limited access to the car once its put away since its in a garage with other cars and the security system is beyond my control. It will probably be there until next March or more likely April based on normal winter/spring weather conditions in Indiana. I’ve added Stabil to the tank and have considered putting the car on jack stands.

I bought the car used two years ago and it currently has just under 25,000 miles on the clock. There are no date codes on the battery so I don’t know if it’s two years old or the original, although that’s doubtful but not very likely. I could put a tender charger on the battery but am reluctant to do so for a number of reasons, not the least of which is some freak issue that could result in a fire.

Because I plan to lock the car with the windows rolled up my concern is having the battery go dead during storage. I thought about removing the battery and keeping it charged out of the car but that would probably have multiple affects I’m not even close to understanding. If the battery goes dead and the trunk is closed apparently it is a big deal to try to jump the car, especially if I should lock the car with the windows up and then would not be able to get into the car.

I thought about just leaving the trunk deck lid slightly open - seems like a simple enough solution to ensuring I have access to the battery if needed.

Hoping to hear methods other folks employ who store their cars during the “off season.”

Thanks in advance.
amboy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would either take the battery out or leave it on a trickle charger. If you don't it will be dead when you go back. You can jump the car with the trunk closed. You use the positive terminal under the hood and you can also open the trunk by pulling the cord inside the trunk (just need to move the back seat down).
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
Matt8892(2)

Drives: Black camaro 2ss 45th
Do not put it on jack stands. You don’t want the suspension hanging that’s long
Matt8892(2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt8892(2) View Post
Do not put it on jack stands. You don’t want the suspension hanging that’s long
Agreed it needs to bear weight.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
No jack stands, as others have said!!!!!!

Tire flat spotting is an old wives tale from the era of polyester bias ply tires.

If you have access to electricity, you should certainly hook up a battery tender. I don't see why there would be a risk of fire. The battery tender connects to terminals in the engine compartment, not to the battery in the trunk. As suggested, you can also leave the hood ajar for jump starting. Those terminals under the hood are the preferred connections for that as well.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
To echo what others have said; either remove the battery or put it on a battery tender. With today's technology, the chances of a fire resulting from a tender on a battery are just about nil. As far as putting it on stands, don't; your car won't be sitting long enough for the tires to develop any serious flats spots. If, and I do say if you develop some, they will be minor and will disappear within the first few miles. Putting it up on stands for that period of time is more likely to cause damage to your suspension then leaving it on the ground will do to the tires.

FYI: Yes I have stored cars for a few months while station in Northern Utah; I also stored a couple of vehicles for a few years when stationed overseas .. never had a problem with any of them when I pulled them out of storage (two different 'prep' processes for short versus long term storage)

Last edited by Welker2; 10-19-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
Sorry, I Can't really answer such question. Since I live in good Southern Arizona. Where winter hits low 50s...
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Your best bet is to just clean the car really well, take the battery with you, and just go back in the spring and put the battery back.

You can unlock and open the doors without a battery in, you just use the key in the keyhole. The windows won't drop that 1/2 inch, but the door still opens fine.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #9
charles71

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The driver door can be unlocked using the key if the battery ever goes dead on you. If you are really concerned about flat spots inflate your tires to 1 to 2 psi under max pressure. I do and have never had a problem. Car sits as soon as the temp reaches 35 degrees and doesn't move until spring snow or not ( tires have pretty much zero traction at those temps). I disconnect the neg terminal and leave battery in place. Is low but has never died on me.
Livernois Stage II Heads & Cam, LS7 Lifters, Ported Intake & Throttle Body, Rotofab CAI, BBK High Flow Fuel Rail @ Guage, Eaton Tru Trac Posi with 3.91 gears, 1000 HP Axels, Kooks Long tubes & full Corsa Exhaust, GM Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 1.5" Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Brace, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, Apex reservoir relocation kit and air scoop.
charles71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I've owned my car since 2013 and every year for winter it gets stored until spring. There's MANY ways people store cars and some are more beneficial than others, but here's some techniques I've heard:
- Jack stand the car so the wheels don't go flat
- Stabil or some other fuel stabilizer in the gas tank
- Ethanol free fuel in the gas tank
- Fill the gas tank full
- Battery tender
- Cover
- No cover
- Moth balls in and/or around the car to keep pests out
- Peppermint oil on cotton balls in and/or around the car to keep pests out
- Battery out
- Battery in but disconnected
- Leave doors unlocked in case battery dies
- Leave trunk popped in case battery dies
- Change the oil before putting it away
- Air the tires up to 40 psi so they don't develop flat spots
- Park it and come back later

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the things people do but that gets you going. There's really no one way or combination of ways that will guarantee the best results, even though people swear up and down by their way. Personally when I pack my car away for winter I fill my gas tank full, if I can I get ethanol free fuel because it creates less condensation for the small void that is left in the gas tank on the trip home, I wash and clean the car up, put the tires to the upper level of recommended pressure (I chose 36psi), I cover the car, and then I leave it until spring. It typically sits late October/November through March/April. I replaced the battery this year because it was starting to get sluggish towards the end of last year and it was the OEM battery from July 29-August 3, 2009 that was placed in the car on the assembly line. I put stabil in it one year and nothing changed between that year and the following year when I only put ethanol free fuel in it. Actually the ethanol free fuel seemed to stay better. I've never put a battery tender on it and if the battery would die, you can jump it from the front or back of the car. My tires do get a little flat sitting for that long, but about 2 miles down the road they round back out. The main precautionary method I take when starting the car back up in the spring is that I let the car sit and warm up for 5 or so minutes before I move it. My philosophy behind that is that the car has been sitting for a number of months, the oils are drained back into their respectable reservoirs and it allows them to recirculate and recoat their necessary parts before the car gets moving again. No science behind that one, but it makes sense in my head.

I hope this helps some.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 PM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I really don't do anything special. I fill the gas tank, back it into the pole building, leave the car unlocked, lock the pole building, and walk away for 3 months.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
What is this winter you speak of?
JK

Time really flies. It felt like only last month where many of you posted on your Camaro coming out of hibernation.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #13
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
What is this winter you speak of?
JK

Time really flies. It felt like only last month where many of you posted on your Camaro coming out of hibernation.
I gladly trade 4 months of the car sitting in the garage to being able to have actual freedoms.

This has been a terrible summer in the northeast though. Tons of rain.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #14
Jim Clelland

Drives: 2010 2SS rally yellow
Without the battery the trunk will not open... Take the battery out, lock the doors and leave the hood open. Tape the battery connectors in the trunk to keep them from arcing if they move. (underhood positive and negative terminals)
Jim Clelland is offline   Reply With Quote