Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #15
lokitwitch04

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 2SS
If you plan on putting your car on jack stands, talk with your home owner insurance company prior to doing it. some insurance companies will not cover the car if something happens to it and it is on jack stands even with storage insurance. The vehicle needs to be stored in its natural state. I also live in Michigan and just stored my car. I fill the tank, I'm on E85 so I put in the ethanol stabil, Inflate the tires to 40 PSI and park on rubber pads, Car has a battery tender on it. That's really it. Wash, wax, and vacuum was a given since I don't let it get dirty.
lokitwitch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 PM   #16
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
I have done this since my first car in 84 which was a 68 Z/28 RS. Go to gas station and fill it all the way up. Add a can of Sea Foam to tank. Inflate tires to at least 5 psi over cold psi recommendation. Drive car for about 10 miles to let the Sea Foam get into the engine. Wash and wax car accordingly and clean the insides. Either pull the battery and store inside on a tender or hook up to car. Make sure you have Comp coverage in case anything may happen. Put a cover on it that breathes. Crack windows an inch or so to let the car breathe and not trap any moisture inside. Wait 6 months (at least for me in MN) then get an oil change first day car is out of storage. Enjoy car for 6 months then repeat.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
Saybo

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
A few things.
Suspension is not designed to be stored full droop. Puts strain on bushings.
This step is controversial........I never have done it and no problems.
Why remove wheels? If you are worried about flat spotting, (Not really an issue with modern tires stored for a few months) just pump up the pressure if you are really worried.

Now, what if your house caught fire? How would you move the car out? (I know, not a great possibility but hey, you never know)

Plastic cover? You want that to breath and not trap moisture.

People really over due storing a car for a few months. Relax!
I remove the wheels because I store it at a storage facility. If someone breaks in somehow it's going to be a lot harder to take a car that's on jack stands and has no wheels! I've been doing that for years with different cars. Haven't had any issues 🤷*♂️

The plastic cover is not like garbage bag plastic. It provides enough breathability. It is just a cheap dust cover that I use.

Like I said I know I'm overkilling it here. It just helps me have peace of mind.
Saybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #18
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
I understand overdoing it. These cars are expensive. But. From all the articles and the lengthy discussions we've had here on Camaro5/6, putting your car on jack stands is the worst thing you can do to your suspension. The car just isn't designed to be dangling in the air for months... If you want to avoid flat spots that's fine, (not sure why, they go away after a few minutes of driving, but hey, whatever helps you sleep at night) Then get some flatstoppers and move on with your life. (If we were talking 6 months to years of storage this would be entirely different. But it's just for a few months.)

If you want additional security, lock the steering wheel all the way to the left, remove the battery and pull a couple important fuses. I doubt many thieves are going to take the time to do diagnostics to figure out why your car won't start. Or buy a stickshift.