Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Z06 Commercial

Just saw a Z06 commercial on TV during game 1 of the World Series. Wow. Introduction day.

But there still won’t be a Camaro commercial.

But an LT6 in a Camaro? Holy smokes would that be something.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Even the LT5 would be nice.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
there goes the argument that the Camaro is too low volume to advertise.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #4
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
I wouldn't think Chevy would bother with a platform they seem to be happy to let die. Is your quote a hint?
It won't happen either way. I just don't think there is enough room in the engine bay for a wider DOHC V8. At least there isn't enough room without some rework.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:17 AM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I'll cut them a little slack for putting out a Corvette commercial during the World Series only because they give one away to the Series MVP when it's over.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #6
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Crazy money for a toy car. Beautiful cars, but that engine seems as if it could be kinda fragile in the long run.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #7
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Crazy money for a toy car. Beautiful cars, but that engine seems as if it could be kinda fragile in the long run.
Yep definitely this. I also don’t think the current crop of z06 owners are going to like this car due to its lack of bottom end torque. 200lbs less than the previous is going to be noticeable. I was reading the corvette forums (had to grab some black socks and white new balance first) and there was a huge discussion about that. I think there will be plenty of these for sale used not long after launch.

Imho, it was like when I owned a previous Gen GT500 and then drove my father in laws GT350. Gorgeous car, but man that lack of bottom end it felt like driving a civic in comparison until you revved it out. I just did not like the FPC 5.2. I was underwhelmed to say the least. I think most vette owners are going to feel the same when they finally drive it.

One thing that was missing was the Ring lap time. I’m still thinking a ZLE will likely be quicker on track. JMHO.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #8
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
Yep definitely this. I also don’t think the current crop of z06 owners are going to like this car due to its lack of bottom end torque. 200lbs less than the previous is going to be noticeable. I was reading the corvette forums (had to grab some black socks and white new balance first) and there was a huge discussion about that. I think there will be plenty of these for sale used not long after launch.

Imho, it was like when I owned a previous Gen GT500 and then drove my father in laws GT350. Gorgeous car, but man that lack of bottom end it felt like driving a civic in comparison until you revved it out. I just did not like the FPC 5.2. I was underwhelmed to say the least. I think most vette owners are going to feel the same when they finally drive it.

One thing that was missing was the Ring lap time. I’m still thinking a ZLE will likely be quicker on track. JMHO.
I think the high-revving engine will attract its crowd. My personal concern would be the durability - this is the first time GM has done an FPC DOHC V8, so let's hope it doesn't end up like Doodoo... I mean Voodoo.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #9
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
C8 has great performance and the newly announced C8 Z06 with the LT6 engine is interesting.

But I am not a fan.

C8 Corvette
Timeless design? Nope.
Torque-y V8? Nope.
Manual transmission? Nope.
Round Corvette tail lights? Nope. (C7 departed from this also.)
Unique and affordable? Nope.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #10
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
C8 has great performance and the newly announced C8 Z06 with the LT6 engine is interesting.

But I am not a fan.

C8 Corvette
Timeless design? Nope.
Torque-y V8? Nope.
Bingo, bingo, and bingo. The Corvette is no longer a Corvette, period. The C7, though, it too was beginning to veer from it's heritage...it still one of my favorites. Particularly the Z06, wow, is that car an animal.

This new Z06 looks fun as well, but definitely not for me. The price alone takes away any value proposition IMO. At the end of the day, it is still a Chevy product made by GM. Call it snobby if one would like, but I've driven (and/or been around) numerous GM products of all walks of life... there isn't one of them that is worth some of these prices.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:51 AM   #11
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post

But I am not a fan.

C8 Corvette
Timeless design? Nope.
Torque-y V8? Nope.
460 lb ft isn’t torquey? You are a harsh grader.

As for timeless designs, I can’t really remember the last thing timeless, meaning I see one and go wow! C2 maybe?? Nothing in the Camaro lineage since maybe Gen2??

As for the manual valid point but a DCT is far better to own and drive IMO but that omission is all of C8 just not the Z06 (none of whose competition offers a manual unless you consider a Porsche in that group and I almost don’t anymore)

And round tail lights? C4 were squared off, C5 were oval and C6 back to round. So that’s just being way too picky.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #12
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
460 lb ft isn’t torquey? You are a harsh grader.

As for timeless designs, I can’t really remember the last thing timeless, meaning I see one and go wow! C2 maybe?? Nothing in the Camaro lineage since maybe Gen2??

As for the manual valid point but a DCT is far better to own and drive IMO but that omission is all of C8 just not the Z06 (none of whose competition offers a manual unless you consider a Porsche in that group and I almost don’t anymore)

And round tail lights? C4 were squared off, C5 were oval and C6 back to round. So that’s just being way too picky.
Agreed. I’m a fan of the new Z06
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:11 AM   #13
Zone5

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Dodge TRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
Agreed. I’m a fan of the new Z06
Double agreed. The whole point was to go naturally aspirated. The ZO6 is Corvette's race-car. Superchargers overheat on the road-course. Maybe not for a few laps, but in a 40 minute SCCA race, superchargers are not even close to ideal. I raced in SCCA for 15 years and never saw a supercharged car out there. I'm guessing there must have been a few, but I never saw one. Supercharging is great on a street car or a drag car, but not on a road-course car, IMHO, and in Corvette engineering's humble opinion.

670 normally aspirated horsepower at 8600 rpms is phenomenal! Just keep the revs up and you're invincible. I love my ZL1, but I just ordered a new ZO6 yesterday.
Zone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #14
CHerna

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
It won't happen either way. I just don't think there is enough room in the engine bay for a wider DOHC V8. At least there isn't enough room without some rework.
This^

A DOHC V8 doesn't fit in the Alpha platform.

Previous: Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
CHerna is offline   Reply With Quote