Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #15
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
This is a really good question.

I was afraid people would think it was a dumb question.

Quote:
The 1LE will have the lot of pieces from the ZL1 including Recaro seats, suede steering wheel and shifter, 6 piston/4 piston brakes, suspension and tire size. If the 1LE came as a 2SS, it would make my decision a bit easier.

I have a 2012 ZL1 and a 2015 Corvette so I know the power of both engines. I have tracked both cars and taken both on long trips. I enjoy both for different reasons. The ZL1's S/C whine and brute force is incredibly intoxicating. The Vette's LT1 pulls as quick as the LSA and I just love the interior and all of it's amenities. Other than at a track I rarely get deep into either of their power bands on the street.

I wanted the first ZL1 that was built but had to settle for all the constraints to clear before I got mine. By getting the first year, I missed out on the larger radio display, Recaro seats and a couple of smaller amenities. This time around, I'm going to wait for the ZL1, 1LE and the Z28 to come out and have some track time under their belts before I make a decision. It will be interesting to see how quick the three cars are and what engine they choose for the Z28.
Just for clarification are you saying the C7 LT1 accelerates as fast as the LSA?

I run with a group that like big power. A LS7 Z06 was a typical car in my group, and the engine in my avatar is mine (approx. 600 rwhp). I like the quick power, but it seems to be too much at times. Like it has too much power for the road (under steer). We have several other cars in our group with supercharged cars, but the Z06 guys have never had a problem keeping up. Yet I like the idea that I can push the pedal down and wave bye, bye to almost anyone on the road. The Zl1 would be unique and dominating. While the 1LE would be practical and usable (more affordable).

I guess I'm approaching another broader question. Have we reached the maximum usable horsepower in a production car? It wasn't that long ago when we broke 300 HP milestone. Now production cars are putting 400 HP to the wheels.

However, if I find myself thinking, " I can put a S/C on it" then I might as well go with a ZL1.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Having just driven a Gen 5 ZL1 last Saturday and owning a Gen 5 1LE, it will all come down to how much better the Gen 6 Z handles the extra weight.
The Gen 5 Z just feels heavy and unbalanced to me coming into a corner with hard braking. The nose dives and pitches or pushes (maybe not using the right words here) coming out. Lots of power for sure but just felt heavy and lumbering. My 1LE on the other hand although with way less power feels snappy and quick to get into and out of corners. If the 6th gen is the same way I'll stay with the 1LE. If I can get that tight snappy feel with a supercharger and the A10.....well....thats a whole new ball game.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #17
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
Having just driven a Gen 5 ZL1 last Saturday and owning a Gen 5 1LE, it will all come down to how much better the Gen 6 Z handles the extra weight.
The Gen 5 Z just feels heavy and unbalanced to me coming into a corner with hard braking. The nose dives and pitches or pushes (maybe not using the right words here) coming out. Lots of power for sure but just felt heavy and lumbering. My 1LE on the other hand although with way less power feels snappy and quick to get into and out of corners. If the 6th gen is the same way I'll stay with the 1LE. If I can get that tight snappy feel with a supercharger and the A10.....well....thats a whole new ball game.
great feedback.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #18
G Fo12ce

Drives: '16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Its a bone head question to get some honest answers.

For those fortunate to have a second car for recreational purposes would you choose the 1LE over the ZL1?

There is the obvious performance/power advantages of a ZL1. But then the added practical points such as mpg, weight and NA engine. While the ZL1 will be a monster, a 460 HP 6.2 liter engine is very capable.

Anybody here who would take a 1LE over a ZL1?

Thanks
IMHO most people who could easily afford a ZL1 would just get that over a 1LE. i would. Also, If MPG was important to you, you may be considering an automatic which is not available on the 1LE.
• 4/19/16 2000 Accepted with 5ZU
• 4/23/16 3000 TPW:5/16/16
• 5/06/16 3100
• 5/13/16 3400 Broadcast Sheet
• 5/24/16 3800 Vehicle Produced
• 5/25/16 4B00 Bayed
• 5/27/16 4300 Intermediate Delivery
• 7/9/16 Delivered!
G Fo12ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #19
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post

I was afraid people would think it was a dumb question.

Just for clarification are you saying the C7 LT1 accelerates as fast as the LSA?

I run with a group that like big power. A LS7 Z06 was a typical car in my group, and the engine in my avatar is mine (approx. 600 rwhp). I like the quick power, but it seems to be too much at times. Like it has too much power for the road (under steer). We have several other cars in our group with supercharged cars, but the Z06 guys have never had a problem keeping up. Yet I like the idea that I can push the pedal down and wave bye, bye to almost anyone on the road. The Zl1 would be unique and dominating. While the 1LE would be practical and usable (more affordable).

I guess I'm approaching another broader question. Have we reached the maximum usable horsepower in a production car? It wasn't that long ago when we broke 300 HP milestone. Now production cars are putting 400 HP to the wheels.

However, if I find myself thinking, " I can put a S/C on it" then I might as well go with a ZL1.
If you look at 0-60 and 1/4 mi. times for 5th Gen. ZL1's and C7 Corvette LT1's, the times will be very close, in the low 12's for both. Track conditions, driver experience was usually the biggest difference. It did not take much modding to get either car into the high 11's. After that, it all depends on much money you have/want to spend.

It will be interesting to see just how much faster a 6th Gen. ZL1 will be over a 6th Gen. 1LE on the same road course with the same driver on the same day. Some say 2-3 seconds which would be a lot. Then, where will the Z28 fit in? It would have to be faster than the 1LE for sure or no one would buy it except to have the name. Will it be faster than a ZL1 on the same course, same driver, same time and if so by how much? If the price point for a ZL1 is $15,000 more than a 1LE, will a Z28 be $15,000 more than a ZL1?

Until all three cars come out we will not know pricing and until all three cars hit the tracks we won't know how quick they are amongst themselves. I'm very blessed to have two very quick cars in the garage that enable me to wait it out until all the pricing and track times are posted before I make any decisions. I do know I will not be trading my ZL1 unless the next car is substantially better than what I already have.

If you have any thoughts about getting a S/C car, get the ZL1 and save yourself a lot of time, money and headaches. My wife likes the ZL1 more than the Vette and the ZL1 sounds better than the Vette. It is going to take a lot for me to give her up for another car.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:11 PM   #20
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
It will be interesting to see just how much faster a 6th Gen. ZL1 will be over a 6th Gen. 1LE on the same road course with the same driver on the same day. Some say 2-3 seconds which would be a lot.
I think it will depend on the road course. Th1 1LE may be just as fast if not faster than the ZL1 on a 1 minute course but will probably fall behind on a 2 minute track. It will be interesting to see a list of the courses and times between the 2.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:23 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I think it will depend on the road course. Th1 1LE may be just as fast if not faster than the ZL1 on a 1 minute course but will probably fall behind on a 2 minute track. It will be interesting to see a list of the courses and times between the 2.
Last generation, around the MRC (for what it's worth)...the ZL1 was 2.3s faster than the 1LE...and the Z/28 was 2.8s faster again than the ZL1. This is just over a 2-minute course.

This time around, there's much less different between the two chassis. who knows....
Old 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #22
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
To me the zl1 is just a bit to much I think 450 hp is perfect 640 gets a bit wild I know I know all about hp but I think 1le is perfect balance
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #23
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
These are purely from MY standpoint on why 1LE over ZL1 reasons and why ZL1 over 1LE. My 2SS is already my 3rd vehicle so I understand the question:

1LE over ZL1:

1) 1LE will be much more affordable, ESPECIALLY since it's only 1SS. I estimate it to be cheaper than a 2SS vert.
2) Much cheaper cost of ownership (insurance, repairs, maintenance, MPG, etc)
3) Not everyone wants boost, after driving boosted vehicles for a decade (turbos). I truly am in LOVE with the LT1 and on track prefer to have NA over boost due to faster power delivery out of those corners.
4) People do want simple interiors and less weight thanks to it.

Why ZL1 over 1LE:
1) IF you can afford the ZL1 and owning it.
2) Hell of a lot more power, which I would say 90% of the time you can't even use it lol. I can BARELY use my LT1 to the full potential. I mean I could... But in 3rd gear I would loose my license forever and spend a year or two in jail at least.
3) Boost, it's addictive.
4) 1LE only comes in 1SS, some people LOVE the goodies of 2SS, like me.
5) Absolutely amazing track AND street car. Where as 1LE is rougher on street and amazing on track. It is a track model after all.
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:00 PM   #24
ponchss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 2006 corvette
I think it comes down to price really. Also 455 hp is more than enough to have fun for a long time with the great suspension the 1LE will have. If you get bored with the power after a couple of years, the suspension will be up to the task to support supercharged power .
ponchss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #25
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Last generation, around the MRC (for what it's worth)...the ZL1 was 2.3s faster than the 1LE...and the Z/28 was 2.8s faster again than the ZL1. This is just over a 2-minute course.

This time around, there's much less different between the two chassis. who knows....
Mr. Wyndham, I know you are leaning towards the 6th Gen. ZL1. And I know you only spent 30 seconds in one at Spring Mountain but any impressions of the new ZL1 compared to your 5th Gen. ZL1? I know you spent a lot of track time in your previous ZL1. Please keep us in the loop when Chevy releases track times on these cars.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Mr. Wyndham, I know you are leaning towards the 6th Gen. ZL1. And I know you only spent 30 seconds in one at Spring Mountain but any impressions of the new ZL1 compared to your 5th Gen. ZL1? I know you spent a lot of track time in your previous ZL1. Please keep us in the loop when Chevy releases track times on these cars.
It's hard to say without being behind the wheel...

It definitely bit the road hard and responded instantly to inputs. I think the eLSD, revised MR, and new chassis geometry will be a game-changer. Consider how much better the 2016 SS is than a regular non-1LE 2015 SS...apply that huge improvement to the already magnificent 2015 ZL1.

As soon as I know anything, the forum is first to know.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:13 PM   #27
OldJedi
Use the Force

Thanks, take care.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #28
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
This may seem silly but assuming I could afford either I think I would still go for the 1LE due to the fact that it is likely to be placed in the SCCA FS class where I am currently running my 5th Gen 1LE. The 6th Gen 1LE looks to be a hell of a lot better than my car, and I already got spanked by a regular 6th Gen 2SS at one event. (although I did better than it on the previous day on a wet track by almost 2 seconds on a 60-70 second course) I love autocross and most of the time excessive power is not helpful in getting around the courses they set up, and extra weight is very detrimental.

However I have to say I would be tempted to change my mind if I was all of a sudden able to afford a ZL1, it is one bad ass car and I am sure I could find other fun things to do if it was uncompetitive in autocross. (the ZL1 would be up against some serious cars if placed in AS or SS where it would be likely to end up) Lets just say I would love to be in the position of making such a decision, I couldn't go wrong either way really.