Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
SGDM

Drives: 2016 2SS
Price for me and I can choose a Super Charger or Twin Turbos, matter of choice.

Who Dares...Wins
SGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The ZL1 and 1LE are targeted at different owners. The ZL1 is an all around almost supercar level GT with great track composure and the 1LE is a more track oriented car that also happens to be a great daily driver as well.

The 1LE also makes the best starter Camaro for those who like to roll their own.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I love the handling balance of the 1LE and you can get the horsepower other ways for less than the price difference.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
If the only difference is Blower, mag ride and 305s.....I'll add my own blower and tires. Mag ride is nice, but with all the other ZL1 goodies already on this car.....the 1LE is the BARGAIN of this century. with the 1SS like I have it's 30k less than a ZL1.

People are really waking up to this because the threads of NEW 1LE owners is getting ridiculous.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
If the only difference is Blower, mag ride and 305s.....I'll add my own blower and tires. Mag ride is nice, but with all the other ZL1 goodies already on this car.....the 1LE is the BARGAIN of this century. with the 1SS like I have it's 30k less than a ZL1.

People are really waking up to this because the threads of NEW 1LE owners is getting ridiculous.
Agreed on the 1LE being the deal of the century. But the ZL1 is more than a 1LE with FI and Mag Ride. It also has slightly different suspension tuning, better aerodynamics, better brakes, better cooling, and a much stronger drive train than the 1LE. Out of the box the ZL1 can run 11 seconds quarter miles with only drag radials and with a full warranty. It will put much more expensive Sports cars on the trailer on a road track. And at the same time be a very comfortable long distance cruiser. If you want to build a 800 RWHP monster it is a better place to start than the 1LE. It is an amazing car and too is a bargain for what you get.

The downside is more weight, but you will be adding that with brake, blower, and drive train up grades anyway to build up a well rounded 1LE. As far as cost goes, you have to compare the ZL1 to a 2SS NPP 1LE to get comparable options. Then once you add the blower, brakes, better cooling, upgraded drive train, tune, labor costs, and even attempt better aerodynamics on the 2SS 1LE you will be pretty close if not over the cost of the base ZL1. And then there is the ZL1 warranty.

ZL1 gets my respect. But not wanting to spend that much on a car, the 1LE is the perfect car for me. And I enjoy modding. If I tire of that a used ZL1 is high on my wish list.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
I built my 645WHP/597WTQ, fully optioned out(minus sunroof) 1LE for less than a BASE ZL1. That includes, parts, labor, taxes, dyno time and tuning(twice); both cosmetic and performance mods. Lets not forget the 1LE is a good couple hundred lbs lighter as well.
IMO, a WAY better way to do it. The down sides are I gave up my warranty, the magnetic ride suspension and the couple extra competitive modes.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Agree with both points of view in the last two posts. For me, the temptation would be not the ZL1 but the Z28. God help my bank account if its priced below the ZL1, lol.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #22
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Hi all,

I am interested in some feedback and other insights to the above question. I am looking to get into a Camaro. Since this is a weekend car for me, the king of the hill is what I was looking for. However, I have been impressed with the 1LE's lap times at some well known tracks (Willow Springs, VIR). My main use of the car would be canyon carving. I like the ZL1 for it's power, and handling. It is however, heavy, gets poor gas mileage, and is about 15K more expensive (not to mention maintenance, and insurance). While the 1LE does handle, is lighter, and considerably more affordable. However, there are only a few cars that can keep up with the ZL1 on the open road. The 1LE has the LS3 an excellent engine, but it only has 426 HP (I never thought I would see the day when I'd say that wasn't enough!).

So what do you guys have to say?

I own a 1LE and have driven the ZL1. I also am the kind of person which enjoys working on my cars myself. On top of that I’m a bit on the cheap side sometimes when it comes to paying for others to do work for me; they never do it right in my book. Now you know where I’m coming from.
You’re saying this will be a weekend/track car for you so I’m thinking it’s safe to assume you’re not looking at it from a penny pinching point but more of a smart money sense. Which means the tiny increase in cost of insurance for a car like either of these isn’t really an issue for you at all. My insurance went DOWN $4. every six months buying a 1LE and would have only gone up about $60 every six months for the ZL1 compared to the 2012 Silverado I traded in to get my car. Crazy I know. (Geico, 40 y/o, low deductibles, no points. ) So along that same line of thinking, both cars use Premium fuel and if it’s only for the weekender do you really care about the gas mileage? I mean really people. I’m getting 16 to 18 MPG city/highway mix with my car and I’m tickled pink with that since the truck I had struggled to get 13.5 MPG and it had a CAI, Borla cat back and a dyno tune! Again, if it’s not a daily driver, who cares about MPG at this level?

It sounds to me like you know what you want but you’re looking for other people’s approval. This is America for God’s sake! Do what you can afford and enjoy it. To hell with what others think. If you enjoy it that’s all that matters. Stepping off my soap box now.

If I could have afforded the ZL1 I would have and that’s the end of it. However, I was impressed with the fact you can buy a 1LE, install a complete supercharger kit with an inter-cooler and everything you need for between 6 -10k and have a car which would have a large number of ZL1 heads tacked to its garage wall for still less money. Look at the things Hennessey can do for you with the cost difference between the two cars and that may make up your mind right there. http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/
Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
I built my 645WHP/597WTQ, fully optioned out(minus sunroof) 1LE for less than a BASE ZL1. That includes, parts, labor, taxes, dyno time and tuning(twice); both cosmetic and performance mods. Lets not forget the 1LE is a good couple hundred lbs lighter as well.
IMO, a WAY better way to do it. The down sides are I gave up my warranty, the magnetic ride suspension and the couple extra competitive modes.
Agreed. Not knocking modded 1LEs. Love your car.

Edit: After reading your thread this is your cars weight with the SC you posted: 3820lbs (not sure of tank fill) and just the same as a stock 1LE from DropSpeed: 3823lbs (3/4 tank gas)

Much lower than I thought it would turn out since 1LEs run heavier than straight SSes (so I read). But then not sure if NPP is lighter with those smaller cans. You do anything else to save weight besides the LTs??

I am sure now you are over the cost of a ZL1, but you definitely made it yours and it is very Bad A**.

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
VcrusaderV

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
The quality and performance of the ZL makes the price very easy. I would say buy whichever you can afford, but the ZL is an amazing car, performs better than much higher priced vehicles and comes with a warranty. In the long run its a better car and better choice.

2010 2SS Camaro (sold)
2010 ZL 427 Camaro (sold)
2012 ZL-1 Camaro (sold)
2018 ZL-1 Camaro
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #25
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
For me it was cost. Because it was a fun/weekend car my accountant (wife who is an accountant ) said I could have an X dollar car now or wait for something more....I wanted NOW and have not regretted it one bit! My track cars are always built with the less is more attitude and I am a do-it-yourselfer so I enjoy the build as much as the drive.

I have driven both a ZL1 and 1LE on a race track and they are both great in their own way. When I instruct the 1LE is more than enough stock to put the smack down on all but the fastest cars in any of the groups (normally only other instructors or racers on race tires etc are faster) For me, a set of ZL1/CTS-V front brakes, about 50 more WHP, some race tires and the 1LE would have no problem at an open track day putting itself in the top 5 cars.

ZL1 = Awesome car all around and great turn key car for people that want to buy and drive or mod it for more later. It accelerates, brakes and handles just right and feels good. The Magnetic ride makes it handle better than a 4100+lb car should on the track.

With all of my discounts (employee) and other incentives I think mine was around $35K + tax. To each their own, but for the ZL1 money I would have gone Z06 Corvette.....if I didn't need the rear seats to grab ice cream with the kids!

-Matt
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #26
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I have driven both a ZL1 and 1LE on a race track and they are both great in their own way. When I instruct the 1LE is more than enough stock to put the smack down on all but the fastest cars in any of the groups (normally only other instructors or racers on race tires etc are faster) For me, a set of ZL1/CTS-V front brakes, about 50 more WHP, some race tires and the 1LE would have no problem at an open track day putting itself in the top 5 cars.

-Matt
Matt,

This is good to hear, because I'm adding some HP now! Cam (custom grind for longetivity on road course), long tubes, CAI and tune.

Also have decided to do the Pedders Supercar coilovers, 32mm 1LE rear sway bar, and a few key Pedders bushings. After adding up the cost of another set of wheels and Hoosiers, and considering how fast Hoosiers wear out, I talked myself into sticking with street tires but springing for coilovers etc. I'd like to get your feedback on that plan.

Thanks

Todd
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Agree with both points of view in the last two posts. For me, the temptation would be not the ZL1 but the Z28. God help my bank account if its priced below the ZL1, lol.
GM already said Z/28 will be more than ZL1 so your in the clear haha.
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #28
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
For me, a set of ZL1/CTS-V front brakes, about 50 more WHP, some race tires and the 1LE would have no problem at an open track day putting itself in the top 5 cars.
-Matt
Easy for you maybe, but not for most of us without the good driver mod. Great post.

So many Camaro owners are obsessed only with power, and the LS3 is such a great engine to start with.

Then again you look at what SUKXOST is doing and you see the range the 1LE covers. Awesome car, especially for the $$.