Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
Thom4s

Drives: N/A
Thom4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom4s View Post
I am going to buy a new car but I don't know how to drive. Is here anyone who can suggest me a best driving school for drivers ed las vegas, Nevada. Actually I am looking for behind the wheel training with experienced instructor.

Thank you,
Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7LitreC5 View Post
I highly recommend the Ron Fellows school at Spring Mountain in Pahrump. I've been to 3 classes there and it has been an amazing experience every time.

I go back again if they added a ZL1 school.
Hi 7LitreC5, a warm thank you for your recommendation. I have completed behind the wheel traniing from Northwest Driving School and then admitted into Ron Fellows Performance Driving School.

First level has been completed and looking forward to the level 2.

Thank you,
Thomas
Thom4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
I went to the Spring Mountain driving school in June and ran the west track. It was awesome. I talked with the staff about why thy did not have a Camaro school. With the 1LE and the ZL1 it seemed like a no brainer. I was told that the issue was capacity. They have 3 tracks. One is for the private club members and the other two are for the classes/events. (Technically they are all one giant track but normally are used as three.) With the Cadillac and Corvette classes they are booked so there is literally no place to hold it. I was told there are plans to buy a ton more land and add more track but there was no ETA.

Couple interesting things.

1) I ran the West Track which I was told the track record is 1:16 in a Z06. I ran a 1:23 in a 2017 A8 Z06 in 95+ degree weather and did not overheat during any of my 20 min sessions. In one session a Z51 did overheat trying to keep pace. (He ended up sliding off the track later.) I also rode with an instructor that ran a 1:17 again in a A8 Z06 without overheat but that was only for 3 laps.

2) The instructors drove SS Camaros (with 1LE/Gen 5 ZL1 rims) and they did have a 1LE there. I asked why they used Camaros and they said if you drive fast enough they will switch to Corvettes.

3) The instructors are amazing and the experience is worth it.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
I went to the Spring Mountain driving school in June and ran the west track. It was awesome. I talked with the staff about why thy did not have a Camaro school. With the 1LE and the ZL1 it seemed like a no brainer. I was told that the issue was capacity. They have 3 tracks. One is for the private club members and the other two are for the classes/events. (Technically they are all one giant track but normally are used as three.) With the Cadillac and Corvette classes they are booked so there is literally no place to hold it. I was told there are plans to buy a ton more land and add more track but there was no ETA.

Couple interesting things.

1) I ran the West Track which I was told the track record is 1:16 in a Z06. I ran a 1:23 in a 2017 A8 Z06 in 95+ degree weather and did not overheat during any of my 20 min sessions. In one session a Z51 did overheat trying to keep pace. (He ended up sliding off the track later.) I also rode with an instructor that ran a 1:17 again in a A8 Z06 without overheat but that was only for 3 laps.

2) The instructors drove SS Camaros (with 1LE/Gen 5 ZL1 rims) and they did have a 1LE there. I asked why they used Camaros and they said if you drive fast enough they will switch to Corvettes.

3) The instructors are amazing and the experience is worth it.
I remember you from CamaroZ28.com

(back when it was fun to log in there)

What did you think of the A8 vs. a manual?

Also what time of year did you attend. It gets wicked hot there in the summer months.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #18
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I remember you from CamaroZ28.com

(back when it was fun to log in there)

What did you think of the A8 vs. a manual?

Also what time of year did you attend. It gets wicked hot there in the summer months.
The auto with the paddles was easier to focus on driving line and all the details of driving fast. The auto was fun but I wish I could have drove a manual. In the class you have to drive the transmission type your car has. I purchased an auto because I was tired of daily driving with a manual. After 25 years of doing it I a wanted something easier in heavy traffic. The dual clutch in my Gen 5 ZL1 was a bitch after an hour of sub 10 mph start and stop. For a street car the auto is great.

Attended in mid June. They had a cold snap. It was "only" mid 90s. Still very hot but not the crazy 120 it was a few weeks later.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #19
four0nefive

Drives: Nothing Fast (Yet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
It would be awesome to see Chevy offer classroom and practical track instruction for the rest of their performance line ZL1 and all Camaro 1LE LPO's). Cadillac offers it for their V series cars (ATS, CTS). Does Chevy offer it for Grand Sport and Z51?

Where do we sign up?
Chevy offers a $1,000 discount I believe for any of the Corvette classes at Spring Mountain (there's different levels of classes there) when someone purchases a brand new Corvette (Z06, Stingray, and GS). I think you can book online or call them, however you wouldn't get the discount since its currently only offered for new Corvette purchases. I also think they are pretty booked up, so if you want to sign up, I would hurry.

Here's the link where you can register:
https://www.springmountainmotorsport...riving-schools

Looks like it's $3,900 for the level 1 class and $3,5000 for the level 2 class.
four0nefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #20
Jogh

Drives: Camaro LS
This car is incredibly awesome, I also save up money for it. Hope I'll buy it soon

---
https://an-essay.com/human
Jogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #21
Moniker

Drives: ZL1
Area 27 Motorsports Park Sees Success With Camaro Driving Academy Read more: http://

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Has anyone heard any indication that Chevrolet will provide driving school (Ron Fellows Spring Mountain) with a purchase of a ZL1?

Common logic/wisdom would assume that if it is important enough for the LT4 powered Z06 why not the LT4 powered ZL1. I realize that Spring Mountain does not have a driving school for Camaros. But teaching drivers how to handle the power would be great PR.
There is a Camaro driving school at area 27 here is a link

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10/...iving-academy/
Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #22
Chris357

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
There is a Camaro driving school at area 27 here is a link

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10/...iving-academy/
Yep--but its in Canada---not exactly convenient to 95% of Camaro owners.
Chris357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom4s View Post
I am going to buy a new car but I don't know how to drive. Is here anyone who can suggest me a best driving school for drivers ed las vegas, Nevada. Actually I am looking for behind the wheel training with experienced instructor.

Thank you,
Thomas
Do a search for HPDEs (or HPDI for your first experience) in your area. They will put an instructor in your car and guide you down the path of high performance driving.