Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Cat-, Axle- Back Exhaust question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
"Track" setting is too tame.

Indeed. I'm considering getting the flowmaster American thunder axle back. Just worried it's not gonna be a big enough improvement for the $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #16
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
As far as sound increase goes, has anyone just removed the secondary cats on an NPP system and noticed any change?
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #17
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Hi All,

First, please forgive my ignorance.

Typically in the past with pony cars or corvettes, a "catback" was a no brainer as a first or early mod. Generally they were a simple bolt on. Unbolt the OEM pipes and mufflers and bolt in the aftermarket product.

However, with the exhaust system of the C6 Camaro SS I hear a lot of talk of cutting pipes and welding. I looked under the car and I don't see any flanges between the cats and the mufflers. Do you have to cut the pipes if keeping the cats (primary and secondary) in place are a must? Are the days of the catback being a "bolt on" inapplicable?
After taking a look at the installation instructions for our Flowmaster Scavenger Series X-Pipe Kit, part#'s 81083 & 81084 I see that the pipe must be cut just behind the secondary cats. The photos that are linked to the kit (CLICK HERE) do not show any clamps post catalytic converters. Our Scavenger Series X-Pipe Kit is meant to be used in conjunction with any of our Axle-back Systems for the '16-'18 Camaro SS. If you're not against making a few simple cuts, then a perfect set up for your Camaro would be our Scavenger Series X-Pipe Kit along with our American Thunder Axle-back System. You'll get a nice, deep, bassy exhaust note, a stainless steel exhaust system with a lifetime, limited warranty, full control of the OEM exhaust valves (if applicable) and you'll still be in full compliance with your local emissions regulations. If you have any questions about which muffler, exhaust system or intake may be best for you please give us a call at 707-544-4761.

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:48 PM   #18
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Why are you doing an axle-back exhaust in the first place? It adds no power at all. It can make the exhaust louder, but some of that has to do with what is happening upstream of the axles as well. It makes a lot more sense to save up a bit more money and change out more of the system.
Axleback because it looks and sounds significantly better. Let’s pretend you gained 15-20hp...that would really be insignificant and the difference would only be in your head anyway...so feel free to tell yourself you gained power if it makes you feel better.

Or if you think stock looks and sounds ok, keep it. Sometimes people like the changes because it makes your car yours...and different from every Camaro you pass on the street that otherwise will be identical.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #19
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
There's no clamps after the secondary cats.

Yep. You were right.
Chef-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:37 PM   #20
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Cat-, Axle- Back Exhaust question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Yep. You were right.

If I'm not mistaken, you can get something like the Borla 60606 X pipe and any axle back and it's straight bolt on. But you will be deleting your secondary cats.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #21
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can get something like the Borla 60606 X pipe and any axle back and it's straight bolt on. But you will be deleting your secondary cats.

I just looked at Flowmaster instruction and id thought “flex joint” that section was clamps. Well its sucks then, its pretty much cut and weld. It wont be simple job for basic DIYer (like me). Lol
Chef-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@Flowmaster View Post
After taking a look at the installation instructions for our Flowmaster Scavenger Series X-Pipe Kit, part#'s 81083 & 81084 I see that the pipe must be cut just behind the secondary cats. The photos that are linked to the kit (CLICK HERE) do not show any clamps post catalytic converters. Our Scavenger Series X-Pipe Kit is meant to be used in conjunction with any of our Axle-back Systems for the '16-'18 Camaro SS. If you're not against making a few simple cuts, then a perfect set up for your Camaro would be our Scavenger Series X-Pipe Kit along with our American Thunder Axle-back System. You'll get a nice, deep, bassy exhaust note, a stainless steel exhaust system with a lifetime, limited warranty, full control of the OEM exhaust valves (if applicable) and you'll still be in full compliance with your local emissions regulations. If you have any questions about which muffler, exhaust system or intake may be best for you please give us a call at 707-544-4761.

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Thanks for the detailed and honest reply. I haven't gone with Flowmaster since my '88 Fox body Mustang. But I had no complaints.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #23
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Thanks for the detailed and honest reply. I haven't gone with Flowmaster since my '88 Fox body Mustang. But I had no complaints.
5.0 Liter Fox Bodies with Flowmaster 40 Series helped get us on the map! Everyone knows that sweet sound. Glad I could be of help, that's why I'm here. PM me if you need any assistance.

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote