Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-20-2019, 02:07 PM   #15
unxpected_12
Xpect the unXpected

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Some dealers seem to be fully aware of the issue, others are like pulling teeth. I was fortunate that mine was fully aware and I didn't have to hassle with them. They knew what to look for and did the flush.

That's good to hear buddy. Wish others would take care of stuff or even be aware. The lady that first took my info for the appointment new more about performance cars than the other dope that assigned to it. She went off about how there was a 10 second Camaro in the shop with the NOS bottles in the truck and all getting some work done at customer expense.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #16
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
I am feeling the beginning of the shudder in my 18 SS at 1,000 miles. I had it bad in my 17 SS, so I know what it feels like. Took it to a dealer and the new protocol requires a drive with a Picometer to feel for the shudder. Needless to say the picometer didn’t pic up the shudder, so I was denied a flush. This is just plain stupid to me since intervening this early may stop the issue fully - Assuming the new fluid has the right friction lubricants. This is such a s@#t show from Chevy. Really aggravating as a loyal customer.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #17
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnqa800720 View Post
I am feeling the beginning of the shudder in my 18 SS at 1,000 miles. I had it bad in my 17 SS, so I know what it feels like. Took it to a dealer and the new protocol requires a drive with a Picometer to feel for the shudder. Needless to say the picometer didn’t pic up the shudder, so I was denied a flush. This is just plain stupid to me since intervening this early may stop the issue fully - Assuming the new fluid has the right friction lubricants. This is such a s@#t show from Chevy. Really aggravating as a loyal customer.
The ongoing issues with the A8 is what drove me to choose an M6 last month. If I can ask a question about your choice to choose another A8 when your '17 had the same issue. Why? And not just you,but anybody?
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #18
Zosozeppelin

Drives: 2017 RS 50th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Yep, same thing happened to me today. My dealership is super cool and has probably the best service department I've ever worked with. My service adviser told me that I definitely have it, but the picometer didn't read it to be at the threshold GM established to qualify for the flush. They told me it's been frustrating on their end because they've had to have people come back two to three times before they can catch it in the act. They suggested I wait until it warms up some. They think around April or May it will really start acting up and they can get a good reading then.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
U-12...who was the dealer?? Just curious as I'm in the RGV.

PM me if you don't want to post it up.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #20
16CamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS (2SS)
Took mine to the dealer last week a handful of months after the old flush. They couldn't get it to replicate which baffled me.

I offered to drive it and replicate it for them but when I arrived, the service tech was heading out for lunch and they asked if I could come back. Since it was a day off for me, I told them no problem as I figured I'd go drive it around and pinpoint exactly what conditions i.e. speed, gears, rpms caused the shudder.

But the shudder wouldn't occur. I suspected it was because it was so damn cold out (low 20s) and eventually I went back to the dealer to sign the paperwork and take the car home.

The service tech was back at that time and I discussed it with him. He said the problem is more prevalent in the south where it's hot and humid (it gets that way here too). He said the old fluid had a tough time dealing with water in the fluid which was the source of the problem. He said that there was a specific temp range that GM wants the fluid at and that they have to actually record the event and that when he was trying to get the problem to replicate, he really couldn't get the temps up to where they need to be citing how cold it is.

We decided that when it warms up, I'll bring it back in and drive it while the tech rides passenger and records the events.
16CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #21
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
The ongoing issues with the A8 is what drove me to choose an M6 last month. If I can ask a question about your choice to choose another A8 when your '17 had the same issue. Why? And not just you,but anybody?

Mine is a daily driver, and I’m in Boston, so traffic is brutal with a standard. And I blindly hoped it wouldn’t happen again. I am wishing more and more that I went with the M6 or waited for the A10.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #22
unxpected_12
Xpect the unXpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
U-12...who was the dealer?? Just curious as I'm in the RGV.

PM me if you don't want to post it up.
Cant say as i dont want to defame any dealer and im a firm believer of Karma. Some people just have bad days. Just go in with as much proof (vids and paperwork) as you can if anything, do a walk around with the person you are leaving it with ( avoid damage that may be caused to your ride and get the run around) when its parked and go along with the test ride. I say this because its happened and have been SOL always until i became always one step ahead. I preach CYA now Cover Your A$$. Dont have my car in my hands yet so dont want to jinx it. All i can say is GM needs get give some reputable performance shops a chance , those who want to do great repairs and the right way.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #23
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Mine is a daily driver, and I’m in Boston, so traffic is brutal with a standard. And I blindly hoped it wouldn’t happen again. I am wishing more and more that I went with the M6 or waited for the A10.
I feel for 'ya.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 AM   #24
karmatourer
STD free

Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpected_12 View Post
Cant say as i dont want to defame any dealer and im a firm believer of Karma. Some people just have bad days. Just go in with as much proof (vids and paperwork) as you can if anything, do a walk around with the person you are leaving it with ( avoid damage that may be caused to your ride and get the run around) when its parked and go along with the test ride. I say this because its happened and have been SOL always until i became always one step ahead. I preach CYA now Cover Your A$$. Dont have my car in my hands yet so dont want to jinx it. All i can say is GM needs get give some reputable performance shops a chance , those who want to do great repairs and the right way.
And if you have to leave it,record the mileage. A mentioned before,the dealer said they did a test drive and the owner said only .1 mile was recorded. And of course excess mileage.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
unxpected_12
Xpect the unXpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
And if you have to leave it,record the mileage. A mentioned before,the dealer said they did a test drive and the owner said only .1 mile was recorded. And of course excess mileage.
Oh yeah. I have my tracker linked to it both from onstar and another way.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:47 AM   #26
kpgreenwell

Drives: 2017 50th anniversary edition v6 A8
A8 Shudder

Just a thought. I wonder what it would cost to just pay for the fluid change and avoid all the coming and going to the dealer to duplicate the shudder? Mine does it but very intermittent. If not too expensive I might just do that.
kpgreenwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:53 AM   #27
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Unfortunately I'm in the same boat with this mess.
Mine didn't occur until around 22,000 miles and the flush seems to be holding up so far (25,000) and it's been fairly cold here in Austin TX. I dont want to trade my car right now because it wouldn't be a financially wise decision but I feel we are going to get shafted on this matter. So now its kind of a toss up as to what the future lies for my SS when the warranty runs out. If I may just swap for an M6, keep and deal with it and just get another DD, or move on to a 2019 SS or possibly a 18 ZL1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgreenwell View Post
Just a thought. I wonder what it would cost to just pay for the fluid change and avoid all the coming and going to the dealer to duplicate the shudder? Mine does it but very intermittent. If not too expensive I might just do that.
It wont be cheap. Chevrolet is the only dealer who can do it given they are using a special additive to 'mask' the shudder. They are doing a triple flush so its literally 3x the trans fluid ...I'm guestimating around $500 for the procedure.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #28
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado57 View Post
When dealers get a car in for service do they check for open TSBs?
Not unless there is a specific issue then you type in a keyword or look in drivetrain and it lists specific bulletins and repair procedures. They check for recalls but there is literally hundreds of service bulletins for every model.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote