Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #113
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
The lower front has been a combination of various things and I've been growing more and more dissatisfied with it. As a result, I decided to rework the entire lower front from the body seam down, all the way back to the wheel wells. I wanted to clean it up and make it look like it fit with the rest of the styling of the car, and especially the lines flowing in from the side. I also made a slight change to the heat vent behind the front wheels which I think gives it more style as opposed to merely functional.

So here's where it's at at the moment; you guys who like to play around with Photoshop, this will give you a blank clean lower front that you can play with. I'm going to be working on my own ideas, but anybody is welcome to put in their own.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fc 2019-0.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  44.2 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fc 2019-1.png
Views: 286
Size:  510.2 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:54 PM   #114
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
I like the ones at the top of the page and I would consider buying it. This latest version though looks too "Acura Integra" and plastic in the front end. If you make it look like that it makes the car look cheaper. I think the "Muscle Car" look is preserved with a meaner front end like the previous version.

Summing up I would buy the one at the top of the page but not the one at the bottom. I don't know if you tried to do it but look at the back of the car from the rear wheels back and it is looking a bit like my old '71 Challenger which I'm ok with.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #115
AmazinglySmooth

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I think it looks more like a sports car than a muscle car. Reminds me of the Ford Probe.
AmazinglySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #116
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
I like the ones at the top of the page and I would consider buying it. This latest version though looks too "Acura Integra" and plastic in the front end. If you make it look like that it makes the car look cheaper. I think the "Muscle Car" look is preserved with a meaner front end like the previous version.

Summing up I would buy the one at the top of the page but not the one at the bottom. I don't know if you tried to do it but look at the back of the car from the rear wheels back and it is looking a bit like my old '71 Challenger which I'm ok with.
Interesting observations and comments. No I didn't have any particular car in mind when I made the back. My intention was to somewhat recreate the feel of the original pony cars. The original pony cars were not muscle cars. They were designed to be sporty, so the influence was more sports car than muscle. Once the Mustang and Camaro came out though, they were so popular that the other manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon with their own designs, so there's bound to be some similarities to something somebody did back then. The look also quickly began to change to something more muscular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinglySmooth View Post
I think it looks more like a sports car than a muscle car. Reminds me of the Ford Probe.
See the comment above. The influences I've been pulling from (loosely) are the Jaguars from the 50's and early 60's, and the older Ferraris back when they were beautiful instead of the gaudy, over-the-top, excessively look-at-me things they're producing today. Specifically the Ferrari models I always admired were the 1963 250 GT, the 1972 Daytona 365 GTB, and the 1975 308 GTB.

I'm trying to bring a little bit of that classic styling into this concept, but keep it American in look and feel.

And on that note; here's the latest. I'm trying to come up with something on the lower front that's halfway between conservative and aggressive.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fc 2019-1a.png
Views: 225
Size:  554.1 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fc 2019-2a.png
Views: 248
Size:  477.2 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-26-2019, 01:21 AM   #117
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I think the rear end needs to get fleshed out more. The rest of the car has grown lower and more in reasonable proportions with modern crash requirements where-as the back is starting to look really out of place. Fixing this will mean enclosing the exhaust pipes into a lower rear diffuser -- here's no real getting around that, I think. Rough example:

Old 02-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #118
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I think the rear end needs to get fleshed out more. The rest of the car has grown lower and more in reasonable proportions with modern crash requirements where-as the back is starting to look really out of place. Fixing this will mean enclosing the exhaust pipes into a lower rear diffuser -- here's no real getting around that, I think. Rough example:

Yeah, as much as I don't like those thick, heavy back ends, you're probably right. What you did is a good start; I'll do something very close to that and see how it looks.

Just for the sake of seeing what it would look like, I did a simple, clean, sleek version of a 5th gen front. It didn't turn out too bad. It's actually closer to the idea of "yer basic pony car again".

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fd 2019-0.png
Views: 554
Size:  468.3 KB

I still have to round the corners and bevel the edges of the cut-outs in the lower front, but as popular as the retro look is, this would probably do well sales-wise.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #119
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post

When I first saw your modification, I thought "that shouldn't be too hard"... hah. Shows you what I know. After several hours of futzing around with things, trying to get it to look right, here's what I've come up with:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fd 2019-2.png
Views: 479
Size:  456.4 KB

Here's a variation of the above:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fd 2019-1.png
Views: 539
Size:  454.2 KB

Does this work, or does it look too busy? I'm planning on recessing the area below the license plate, and putting in either horizontal slats or a black mesh screen there.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 02-26-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added the other pic
Old 02-27-2019, 03:54 AM   #120
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Did some more detail work on the back, including the wire mesh in the cutouts. i tried putting it in the black area beneath the license plate, but it just looked out of place. I may give some horizontal slats a try and see how that looks.

At any rate, here's the latest:

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fd 2019-3.png
Views: 513
Size:  539.8 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #121
savage99ss
Im the boss

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS
Why not eliminate the door handles and move to a Corvette style release.
Camaro SS #0785 - 1 of 280 SS's that were pewter, auto, and T-Top - SLP Headers, LM1,Y-pipe, high flow cats, SLP Lid
savage99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:36 AM   #122
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage99ss View Post
Why not eliminate the door handles and move to a Corvette style release.
I believe most cars have switched to the handle style I have on there due to people (women in particular) breaking fingernails on the other styles.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-27-2019, 01:25 PM   #123
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

After working on this whole shape for awhile, I've come to realize that I have two different cars welded together in the middle. The style of the back just doesn't match the style of the front. I like both, but I needed to redo one of them to match the other.

What I've decided to do, is rework the front to match the style of the back. I've still got the 5th gen front grille for the moment, but I've been working on flattening out the fenders (reducing the rounding) and I raised the front top of the car upwards from the upper grille back a good couple of inches. As a result, the front upper grille opening is bigger which you can see in the amount of space around the headlights and grille bars. By moving the whole upper grille area up, this leaves more body below it which is more inline with the way the back is styled. I made the DRLs longer; the side amber lights shorter.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fd 2019-4.png
Views: 501
Size:  541.7 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fd 2019-5.png
Views: 476
Size:  552.4 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-28-2019, 04:07 AM   #124
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Been working on the front to try and break out of the 5th gen mold, but still keep it Camaro-ish. At the same time, I want it to feel like the front style belongs with the style of the back.

It's gettin' there.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fe 2019-0.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  52.1 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 02-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #125
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Well after enjoying looking at the effort by Sesiom Summers in his thread to come up with an idea for the 7th Gen, I decided to revisit my original idea for a back-to-basics pony car ala the original Camaro.

These snaps show where the project is at for the moment. There isn't an interior, and it needs some detail work such as hood and trunk seams, and I need to figure out what I'm going to do for a front fender turn signal indicator.

I wanted it to have somewhat of a 1st Gen vibe as far as simplicity, and I pulled inspiration from several of the other early gen models as far as styling. It's not meant to be a track car; it's for the other 98% of the customers who want something sporty, something fun yet not over-the-top or street racer-ish.

Attachment 972156
Attachment 972157
Attachment 972158
Attachment 972159
Attachment 972160
Attachment 972161

The whole idea here is to get back to basics and try to reignite the original fun and success of the first gen pony cars when they came out. This concept is of course updated to a more modern style, but it could basically be put together from the parts bin as far as what's under the skin. The body and interior would be original, but pretty much everything else would come from something they already have.

Okay now based on past experience in here, it won't be long before somebody does the OMG THAT LOOKS LIKE A... (whatever) and posts some ridiculously not-even-close image from something in the past. Take note; this concept IS SUPPOSED to have a somewhat retro vibe, so don't think you're successfully attacking and destroying it by bringing up something from the past.

Now... let the games begin.

thanks for your kind words, I loved to work on the 7gen Back to pony design but I got too much hate here and I got tired of it, people here want something new, but then someone try a new Idea they burn it down on hate... even ¡n after taking the time to do a survey to see de general opinion of the Camaro as it is now.... maybe some day Ill go back and finish my concept, for now... best of wishes to you and your design! do no let Haters ruin your vision!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #126
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
thanks for your kind words, I loved to work on the 7gen Back to pony design but I got too much hate here and I got tired of it, people here want something new, but then someone try a new Idea they burn it down on hate... even ¡n after taking the time to do a survey to see de general opinion of the Camaro as it is now.... maybe some day Ill go back and finish my concept, for now... best of wishes to you and your design! do no let Haters ruin your vision!
Sorry to hear you were discouraged like that. This is a tough crowd. They say they want something futuristic and not retro, but when you do that, they complain that it doesn't have "muscles", "hips", etc. which of course are all retro features. For better or for worse, the look and style that people associate with a Camaro are the older styles. What I'm trying to do is find something that will have appeal outside the very small hard core enthusiast group. It's NOT an easy task. If you can ignore the negative stuff, I still think it's worthwhile trying to come up with something decent, just in case you actually do!

What worries me right now is the fact that the Camaro is now in third place sales-wise behind Mustang and Dodge, and there's no reason that's going to change with things the way they are. For those who bought refresh models and love them, that's great and what I'm about to say in no way is meant as something negative towards you, HOWEVER, it's not hard to see that the refresh has been a disaster sales-wise and that's not good.

The other worrisome issue is we're not seeing any camo covered prototypes running around anywhere, which we'd be seeing if they were going to have a 7th gen ready for this fall. That can mean either they're doing a Z28 and no one will see anything until they roll it out on stage in a few months, or they aren't committing to a 7th gen. You know they have a model sitting in a room at the design center, so what's going on? Either corporate doesn't like what they're seeing (which could be a factor in moving Al out of the Camaro group) or they're deciding whether or not they want to even continue the Camaro.

None of this looks good at the moment and that's a direct result of poor sales. If you can, keep trying to come up with something good; maybe one of us will hit the jackpot and find that middle ground that's good enough for the enthusiasts (probably with some body panel mods) yet works for the 98%. If somebody doesn't find that magic combo, we may never see another Camaro.

SO... on that note, here's where I'm at for the moment. I've put an aluminum metal finish on it so it's easier to see all the lines and shapes of the car.

Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fe 2019-2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  51.5 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fe 2019-3.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fe 2019-4.png
Views: 381
Size:  549.8 KB
Name:  Pony Car Concept R7fe 2019-5.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  51.4 KB

The way this is set up, an aggressive aero piece can be used in place of the front splitter, and side skirts can be added as well as a rear spoiler to give it more of a performance look for those that want that.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM