Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-27-2019, 07:23 PM   #57
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
Good luck and either car is a good choice!
What ever makes you happy ! I think a ZL1 is the best performance car GM has ever built to date.[/QUOTE]

Dollar for dollar, I would say by a long shot. I’ve worked for GM for many years as a tech.
This car is a lot of performance for not a lot of money. I looked at the Z06. It’s awesome. 43 grand more. Hey both are awesome cars but 43 grand more was one of few reasons I didn’t buy one.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 PM   #58
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
What ever makes you happy ! I think a ZL1 is the best performance car GM has ever built to

Dollar for dollar, I would say by a long shot. I’ve worked for GM for many years as a tech.
This car is a lot of performance for not a lot of money. I looked at the Z06. It’s awesome. 43 grand more. Hey both are awesome cars but 43 grand more was one of few reasons I didn’t buy one.
Z06 I thought was mid 70s? That's not a 43k difference in price.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #59
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
I bought my ZL1 out the door for 80225. The Vette would have been 123 and change.
Keep in mind I live in Canada
Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 PM   #60
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
The 1LZ Z06 is probably around high $70K to mid $80K. The 2LZ is probably about Mid $80K to low $90K. The 3LZ is probably mid $90K to low $100K. Of course adding in the convertible and other little items can bring the cost up. But what I think he was saying is that in comparison to a comparably equipped ZL1, the Z06 would be about $40K extra. Remember, the ZL1s all come standard with heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, and some other stuff whereas the base 1LZ Z06 does not have those items. You'd have to step up to at least the 2LZ. And that is when you'll see the drastic price difference.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #61
atiprocharger

Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1 auto
I guess I'm just curious as to the intention of your post... to jump on a forum of ZL1 owners just to imply that somehow we should all hate our cars and trade them in for slower less refined versions of themselves?[/QUOTE]

Only to ask opinions. I love my zl1, but working for who I do, I come across some awesome deals. I was offered a z06 3lz for about 70k brand new. Not ever having owned a corvette, I was asking for pro and cons for anyone that had. There was no implication made at all.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #62
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Just to add a couple pennies to the ZL1 vs SS thing that was brought up...the SS was not enough to make me buy a 6th Gen Camaro. As soon as the 17 ZL1 hit, I had to have one. So take that for what it's worth. I doubt anyone who has driven a SS and then a ZL1 felt that the ZL1 was too much. It is very well balanced and applies to power to the ground really well. Plus the tires that are thrown on it from the factory were matched to this car very well. And the tuning from the factory keeps this car pointed in the right direction. If you go plowing into a crowd, then it's because you either wanted to or you're an idiot. Compared to other cars that straight up lose control...like Hellcats and GT500s. So I for one do not think 650 HP in this particular package is overkill.
Well we obviously do not possess the superior intellect to understand the difference of manageable power & what one should perceive is clearly acceptable to the point of overkill...it's obviously understood that ANYONE like us who enjoys forced induction over the base ss simply has no concept of what HP one needs to appreciate their own vehicle. Anyone thinking a ZL1, Z06, hellcat, 500 or God forbid modding an ss to over 600hp is simply asinine comprehension for ownership of rwd vehicle!!

Not sure where your head is amigo??
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:25 PM   #63
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by atiprocharger View Post
I guess I'm just curious as to the intention of your post... to jump on a forum of ZL1 owners just to imply that somehow we should all hate our cars and trade them in for slower less refined versions of themselves?
Only to ask opinions. I love my zl1, but working for who I do, I come across some awesome deals. I was offered a z06 3lz for about 70k brand new. Not ever having owned a corvette, I was asking for pro and cons for anyone that had. There was no implication made at all.[/QUOTE]

No, no, that wasn't for you, that was for the Troll... I totally get where you were coming from... but the person I responded to basically didn't answer your question, and doesn't even own a ZL1 to provide some semblance of an honest comparison.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:30 AM   #64
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Well we obviously do not possess the superior intellect to understand the difference of manageable power & what one should perceive is clearly acceptable to the point of overkill...it's obviously understood that ANYONE like us who enjoys forced induction over the base ss simply has no concept of what HP one needs to appreciate their own vehicle. Anyone thinking a ZL1, Z06, hellcat, 500 or God forbid modding an ss to over 600hp is simply asinine comprehension for ownership of rwd vehicle!!

Not sure where your head is amigo??
My bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atiprocharger View Post
Only to ask opinions. I love my zl1, but working for who I do, I come across some awesome deals. I was offered a z06 3lz for about 70k brand new. Not ever having owned a corvette, I was asking for pro and cons for anyone that had. There was no implication made at all.
He wasn't referring to you. He was referring to the troll...of which we seem to have a lot of these days.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #65
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
If you are still torn, I might suggest looking up the Motor Trend piece where Randy Probst drove the ZL1 and the Z06. His comments on the nature of the two cars at the limit is worth hearing. (I am at work and cannot access the site).
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #66
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
If you are still torn, I might suggest looking up the Motor Trend piece where Randy Probst drove the ZL1 and the Z06. His comments on the nature of the two cars at the limit is worth hearing. (I am at work and cannot access the site).
I'd like to see/read that if you don't mind showing us when you can
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 06-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #67
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
I'd like to see/read that if you don't mind showing us when you can
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #68
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Honestly, I'm pretty dumbfounded at some of the comments on the comparison between these two cars. I own both cars and drive them back to back all summer long. I'm an experienced driver and enjoy both thoroughly. That said, the Z06 IS more car. For the money? Maybe not. But more car it still is. You definitely pay a "Corvette tax" for it being 3500 pounds, 2 seats, and the C7Z looks, which when setup right are killer. The carbon ceramic brakes, carbon fiber parts everywhere, slightly better build quality, fit and finish puts it in the class above the ZL1. The biggest fault of the C7 Z06 is the A8 Transmission is just not there like the A10 is, but it's not bad by any means when left to its own devices. The C7Z is more nimble, more engaging, and definitely just as stable as the ZL1. I have never experienced the rear end twitchiness, scary at the limit experiences, etc. that some people complain about. I've had both cars on the track (not my personal vehicles, they're babied ) and again, the ZL1 is very good; the Z06 is excellent. The ZL1 is fast; the Z06 is brutal. The ZL1 is good looking; the Z06 (IMO!) is great looking. The Z06 is a bargain; the ZL1 is a steal.

If you want the Camaro, you're going to be just fine. If I thought the ZL1 was much of a lesser car for what you pay for, I would have sold it. I enjoy both. I can give direct comparisons of pretty much any feature about the cars if anybody has questions.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #69
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Honestly, I'm pretty dumbfounded at some of the comments on the comparison between these two cars. I own both cars and drive them back to back all summer long. I'm an experienced driver and enjoy both thoroughly. That said, the Z06 IS more car. For the money? Maybe not. But more car it still is. You definitely pay a "Corvette tax" for it being 3500 pounds, 2 seats, and the C7Z looks, which when setup right are killer. The carbon ceramic brakes, carbon fiber parts everywhere, slightly better build quality, fit and finish puts it in the class above the ZL1. The biggest fault of the C7 Z06 is the A8 Transmission is just not there like the A10 is, but it's not bad by any means when left to its own devices. The C7Z is more nimble, more engaging, and definitely just as stable as the ZL1. I have never experienced the rear end twitchiness, scary at the limit experiences, etc. that some people complain about. I've had both cars on the track (not my personal vehicles, they're babied ) and again, the ZL1 is very good; the Z06 is excellent. The ZL1 is fast; the Z06 is brutal. The ZL1 is good looking; the Z06 (IMO!) is great looking. The Z06 is a bargain; the ZL1 is a steal.

If you want the Camaro, you're going to be just fine. If I thought the ZL1 was much of a lesser car for what you pay for, I would have sold it. I enjoy both. I can give direct comparisons of pretty much any feature about the cars if anybody has questions.
I very much respect your opinion and agree to be honest. I think you put it well with both vehicles. Another reason I must add that I went with the ZLE rather than the Z06 was a back seat. I do have 2 young ones. They love going in the car. But you can only imagine the battles if I could only take one
Old 06-28-2019, 03:50 PM   #70
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post

I think this is the type of comparison the OP was looking for. I don't own a Z06 and have never driven one. so I could never give an educated opinion comparing the two.

Looks and backseat are what did it for me. I have never even looked at a corvette. I have no desire to ever own a roadster or any vehicle without a backseat. I find them all to be completely impractical.. that said... if I was into that type of car it would be damn hard to overlook the Z06 or ZR1 vs any supercar between $100k and $200k