Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
"... It wasn't me..." car repairs that YOU have done

My winter beater is a Hyundai Tiburon 2008. It has 252 000km. The engine still runs perfectly. The exhaust (because of Quebec winters and salty roads) is really rusted and starting to give me problems. I had for 500$ worth or repairs done on it before last winter... 2 weeks ago, I started heart a huge sound coming from the back as if I was straight pipped... And I was. The flange that connects to the muffler was opened because the bolt holes was rusted and failed.

I didn't want to drop anymore money on the car at the moment cause I don't know how long the car will last... So I opted for some heavy duty aluminum tape on the flange... Not proud of it, but it works.

And you, what is the sketchiest repair that you have done?
Attached Images

1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #2
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
In life some times you have to do with what you have. Been there and done that a lot in my 74 years of life.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU DUCE View Post
In life some times you have to do with what you have. Been there and done that a lot in my 74 years of life.
Absolutely! If you can’t do with what you have....you’re going to be dependent on the rest of the world to carry you through.
Bailing wire, comes to mind. It has held more than a few parts on cars and Harley’s I’ve owned.

Last edited by 0stones0; 04-05-2020 at 05:55 PM.
0stones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
My winter beater is a Hyundai Tiburon 2008. It has 252 000km. The engine still runs perfectly. The exhaust (because of Quebec winters and salty roads) is really rusted and starting to give me problems. I had for 500$ worth or repairs done on it before last winter... 2 weeks ago, I started heart a huge sound coming from the back as if I was straight pipped... And I was. The flange that connects to the muffler was opened because the bolt holes was rusted and failed.

I didn't want to drop anymore money on the car at the moment cause I don't know how long the car will last... So I opted for some heavy duty aluminum tape on the flange... Not proud of it, but it works.

And you, what is the sketchiest repair that you have done?
Aluminum tape......the only tape with more uses than duct.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Aluminum tape......the only tape with more uses than duct.
Painters tape, used a lot to hold down stuff when woodworking!
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Look into an exhaust cast bandage like the link below.

As the description, it applies like a plaster covered bandage and then cures rock hard. I did this in the past on beaters and it works long term if you extended it far enough onto sold material.

https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...e-kit/710701_0

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #7
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

As the description, it applies like a plaster covered bandage and then cures rock hard. I did this in the past on beaters and it works long term if you extended it far enough onto sold material.

It says not available for pickup in store.
And not available for delivery to the house.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:58 PM   #8
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

I used that stuff on my very first car. All original ‘57 Chevy. Paid $75 for it. That whole car was held together with wire, and tape, and maybe even some spit.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Look around. I bought it back in the 80s when I was patching beaters. Autozone isn’t the only source. I think I got it at Farm & Fleet in the pre internet days.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Gotta get it at a street corner from a guy under a street lamp wearing a trench coat.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:08 PM   #11
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
I was riding my Harley Davidson on a Sunday afternoon bout 20 years ago. Drove past a lumber company and hit a large spike that must have dropped off a truck. It went through the tread and out the sidewall and stayed there. Tubeless tire so it actually went down slowly enough I got it stopped without crashing. I pulled the spike out and realized no way was my fix a flat was going to get me home over 75 miles away. Nice dood on a Harley stopped to help me and lived local. He went home and brought back a pack of rubber strips and tire cement. We took the strips using a needle nose pliers and filled the sidewall holes. There was multiple holes because till I stopped the spike punched the side wall a few times. We used about 8 strips of rubber and glue until everything was jammed in tight. Then I used my fix a flat to inflate the tire. IT LOOKED DANGEROUS but didn't leak. We bounced on the seat to make sure it stayed up then I drove it slowly around a parking lot, It stayed up! I drove that motorcycle home 75 miles and to the dealer a few days later with all those plugs in the tire and it never leaked any air. Dealer mechanic couldn't believe how well it stayed together. Sometimes
you gotta roll the dice.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 PM   #12
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Several years ago I was exploring the Escudilla Wilderness in Eastern AZ and discovered a leak from the fuel tank of my '78 Jimmy. I was rather panicked when I discovered a small crack had developed in a rather corroded portion of the tank. Remembering a trick relayed to me by my old boss and 4-wheeler buddy I rubbed the offending area with a bar of Ivory soap. I was amazed that the leak ceased at once! Gave it a good stare-down for about an hour then added a light coating of chewing gum and 3 large pieces of aluminum tape. That MacGyver repair lasted for about a year before it started dribbling conveniently in my driveway. I still have that truck with the replacement 30 gal tank.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I like to call it creative ingenuity!

Years ago my older brother had a small crash on one of my motorcycles and the clutch handle snapped off. I needed it to work NOW, so I thought for a few......a small box wrench and small hose clamp to attach to the remaining nub, and bingo! a new clutch handle! Worked like a charm, I think it was a couple of months before I actually replaced the handle it worked so well.

In my youth (many, many years ago) I was guilty of the muffler tape rig on more than a few occasions, and once used JB Weld to plug a hole in a gas tank that had developed a hole. I just jacked the truck up enough for the gas to go away from the hole, smeared on some JB weld and it held more than long enough for me to get a new tank. Also due to rot like the poster above. Love those Chevy "shields" around the fuel tank to protect off road, however, it collects dirt, salt etc. and just ate right through the tank!

Sure I have more, but you get the idea, we do what we need to do, simple as that!

Last edited by Nothing like an SS; 04-06-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #14
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
If the car is worth keeping sometimes you have to bite the bullet and do the proper repairs. I've been there before, and a repair like that is an emergency last ditch thing to get you here and there until you get a chance to fix it.

Nowadays, instead of modding, I try to save money by buying a roadworthy daily driver and maintaining it properly. It has saved me a lot of heartache from multiple and expensive mechanical repairs.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote