Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 03-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
Michael78971

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1SS 1LE
SS 1LE Drag Strip Launch Advice

I bracket race the 1/8 mile for IHRA, came from a ‘19 Scat Pack Challenger with launch control, line lock, a8, etc. I’m now in an ‘18 m6 SS 1LE with radials and I’m having issues with launching. I had a hard time with the burn out but I figured out the perfect combo now, just can’t get the launch down. I was told don’t use the launch control, don’t drop the clutch, etc. I was just wondering what everyone’s personal experience is for the best possible results. Thanks in advance everyone, cheers.
Michael78971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
I haven't DR'ed my 1LE, but I definitely agree to cut the T/C or launch control off. It kills power when it detects spin/slip. A 1LE with a DR should have no issues hooking. Even on the stock GY's on a warm/dry day on a decent surface this car does a very good job of putting it's power to the ground IMO. My guess is the ideal way to DR these cars with a good tire is to ease into getting it rolling and then quickly going WOT. I'm not a DR'ing expert, but that's how I've found the best way to launch a heavy IRS car to be.

Also remember that these cars have no-lift shifting. At WOT above I think it's 5,000 RPM's you can just keep the throttle mashed down and not lift off it during the shift. The computer will keep it from bouncing off the rev limiter. You still need to use the clutch. It really works very well for shortening the time between your shifts up though.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:13 AM   #3
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
don’t use launch control. i suggest using sport-competitive mode, if you aren’t already.

you need to massage torque management (via hptuners) if you want to be consistent. the car in stock form, on goodyears, will hook hard enough to bog itself pretty bad.

26” tire and no tqm would help tremendously.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Michael78971

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
I haven't DR'ed my 1LE, but I definitely agree to cut the T/C or launch control off. It kills power when it detects spin/slip. A 1LE with a DR should have no issues hooking. Even on the stock GY's on a warm/dry day on a decent surface this car does a very good job of putting it's power to the ground IMO. My guess is the ideal way to DR these cars with a good tire is to ease into getting it rolling and then quickly going WOT. I'm not a DR'ing expert, but that's how I've found the best way to launch a heavy IRS car to be.

Also remember that these cars have no-lift shifting. At WOT above I think it's 5,000 RPM's you can just keep the throttle mashed down and not lift off it during the shift. The computer will keep it from bouncing off the rev limiter. You still need to use the clutch. It really works very well for shortening the time between your shifts up though.
Thanks JROC, I tried different settings (track mode with comp mode on, race traction mode; hold down t/c for 8 seconds to turn everything off, just press t/c once, etc) but absolutely nothing worked. I have no issues hooking on the Mickey Thompson’s I’m running, but it would bog no matter what. That’s the issue I’m having. The best result I got on my last 2 passes of the night were when I stayed and revved up to about 4K rpm and tried slipping the clutch out slowly to just get rolling then roll into WOT like you were saying. But that still just didn’t produce the results I expect from this car. I know there’s gotta be a way around all of the torque management and extra crap GM threw on these cars, I just gotta figure it out. I greatly appreciate the input. And yes I was no lift shifting all night.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #5
Michael78971

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
don’t use launch control. i suggest using sport-competitive mode, if you aren’t already.

you need to massage torque management (via hptuners) if you want to be consistent. the car in stock form, on goodyears, will hook hard enough to bog itself pretty bad.

26” tire and no tqm would help tremendously.
S346k, I got my best results in track mode and holding t/c for 8 seconds to turn off all nannies, but it seemed like it didn’t actually do that. I have no issue hooking as I said in reply to JROC, but my issue is bogging unless I try slipping the clutch and there is 0% chance of being consistent doing that. I know there are people out there who drag these cars competitively and I just need to figure out what they’re doing. What do you mean by “massage torque management”? Is that just tuning the computer to assist in the launch by limiting torque so the ABS doesn’t freak out and cut throttle? I plan on talking with my local tuner/performance shop about options as they have a ton of experience with camaros. Thanks again for the input.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #6
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
Again I don't want to come off as trying to sound like an expert on setting these cars up for DR'ing. I've only even had the car for 3.5 months, but I think the fix for you is going to be tune related.

I'm kind of wondering if it's something programmed into the eLSD that's killing the torque for you. Our cars (SS 1LE) use the same rearend as the ZL1's. Chevy offers a recalibrated for the rearend of the ZL1 for DR'ing. Apparently if you read this article I'm posting it sends more than double the torque to the rear wheels on launch than the car will allow from the factory. Or at least that's what it appears to say to me. I would assume it would work on our cars as well but IDK. I'm pretty sure if these rearends will manage that much torque from a ZL1 then they should have no issue managing ths full power that the LT1 produces during a hard launch.

Look at this article:
https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...-6-camaro-zl1/
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
Michael78971

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Again I don't want to come off as trying to sound like an expert on setting these cars up for DR'ing. I've only even had the car for 3.5 months, but I think the fix for you is going to be tune related.

I'm kind of wondering if it's something programmed into the eLSD that's killing the torque for you. Our cars (SS 1LE) use the same rearend as the ZL1's. Chevy offers a recalibrated for the rearend of the ZL1 for DR'ing. Apparently if you read this article I'm posting it sends more than double the torque to the rear wheels on launch than the car will allow from the factory. Or at least that's what it appears to say to me. I would assume it would work on our cars as well but IDK. I'm pretty sure if these rearends will manage that much torque from a ZL1 then they should have no issue managing ths full power that the LT1 produces during a hard launch.

Look at this article:
https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...-6-camaro-zl1/
Good post, and I believe you’re right as well. ABS or ABS-related system is cutting torque, throttle, etc as to prevent spinning out. That article says the update is for better burnouts to help with launching, not specifically launching but that actually does help quite a bit. Like I said, the plan is to contact my tuners and see if they’ve ran into this and know a great way to tune it. I’ll update if I find an answer.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael78971 View Post
Thanks JROC, I tried different settings (track mode with comp mode on, race traction mode; hold down t/c for 8 seconds to turn everything off, just press t/c once, etc) but absolutely nothing worked. I have no issues hooking on the Mickey Thompson’s I’m running, but it would bog no matter what. That’s the issue I’m having. The best result I got on my last 2 passes of the night were when I stayed and revved up to about 4K rpm and tried slipping the clutch out slowly to just get rolling then roll into WOT like you were saying. But that still just didn’t produce the results I expect from this car. I know there’s gotta be a way around all of the torque management and extra crap GM threw on these cars, I just gotta figure it out. I greatly appreciate the input. And yes I was no lift shifting all night.

Use Competive mode or all off. Don't use ptm race,etc on a tire
Old 03-08-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
s346k

Quote:
What do you mean by “massage torque management”? Is that just tuning the computer to assist in the launch by limiting torque so the ABS doesn’t freak out and cut throttle?
something like that. the ecu can see torque generated and pull timing accordingly to maintain power output. as a result, the cars bog if they hook too hard. what did you run with yours? weather conditions?
Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
Michael78971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Use Competive mode or all off. Don't use ptm race,etc on a tire
All off wasn’t “all off”. Car would still bog and cut throttle, I tried different rpm’s, different techniques to slip the clutch or just drop it, nothing was working to get a smooth launch
Old 03-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
Michael78971

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
something like that. the ecu can see torque generated and pull timing accordingly to maintain power output. as a result, the cars bog if they hook too hard. what did you run with yours? weather conditions?
As I said, I only run 1/8 mile. So best time was 8.17 @91mph. It was about 65° and low humidity, slight overcast, pretty good weather for racing honestly. I only had one run that I had a problem hooking up in 2nd, but overall my issue was launching. I’ll see if I can tune it for a smoother launch, I just don’t want to have to result to a clutch delay valve or slipper clutch yet.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
All off wasn’t “all off”. Car would still bog and cut throttle, I tried different rpm’s, different techniques to slip the clutch or just drop it, nothing was working to get a smooth launch
Any mods?
Old 03-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
Michael78971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Any mods?
Yes, American racing cat-less headers, x-pipe with factory axle-back, rotofab CAI, ethanol tuned. And the Mickey Thompson et street r drag radials.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:36 PM   #14
s346k

Quote:
Yes, American racing cat-less headers, x-pipe with factory axle-back, rotofab CAI, ethanol tuned. And the Mickey Thompson et street r drag radials.
id be finding a new tuner who knows these ecus.

i would expect MUCH more if the car is tuned with those mods. bone stock, da of ~2300’, mine went 8.2 @ 89 with a bog so bad it almost killed the car.