Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launching Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
mustangcrusher1

Drives: 2017 camaro SS blue w/white stripes
Chevy LT1 MSD Atomic AirForce Intake 16-17 Camaro SS #2700

has anyone tried the Chevy LT1 MSD Atomic AirForce Intake 16-17 Camaro SS #2700? how was the install? and how was the power gains? track or dyno on stock or modded... I read 30hp and 24qt???...
mustangcrusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
More like 20, not 30 and the gains are up top. You lose a little below. But a good building block for a bolton SS.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I will assume that your post in the drag racing section indicates a desire to race the car on the strip. I have the MSD Airforce on my 2017 A8 and it does not seem to actually help my car run quicker/faster on the dragstrip. My opinion is, spend your money on something else. I am also assuming here that you want to do just bolt-ons and not a full motor build.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 AM   #4
mustangcrusher1

Yes, for drag racing and yes only bolts ons. What kind of times are you running in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile? mph too... So the intake doesn't help? Hell, I was thinking that's an easy 20 to 30 horsepower and Ill be able to break into the 11's... I'm glad you commented, I will not waste my money then! thanks

Last edited by mustangcrusher1; 12-03-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I will assume that your post in the drag racing section indicates a desire to race the car on the strip. I have the MSD Airforce on my 2017 A8 and it does not seem to actually help my car run quicker/faster on the dragstrip. My opinion is, spend your money on something else. I am also assuming here that you want to do just bolt-ons and not a full motor build.
Hello again. It did help my car with a tune. But mostly up top. There were comparative dynos between the MSD, the Rotofab with the dry filter, and ARH 1 7/8 LTs. Between the three the MSD tuned added the most power.

As you do, I also think the MSD and the Rotofab will be a help with a H/C build. Not sure I want to go there from a reliability standpoint. E85 may be the most effective bolton mod. But you need a tune for sure.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 AM   #6
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcrusher1 View Post
Yes, for drag racing and yes only bolts ons. What kind of times are you running in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile? mph too... So the intake doesn't help? Hell, I was thinking that's and easy 20 to 30 horsepower and Ill be able to break into the 11's... I'm glad you commented, I will not waste my money then! thanks
If I were you I would start reading in the V8 bolton section. Lots of good info there. I assume your SS is an A8. In good air and a good launch 11s are possible stock. Here is a good place to start reading:

Tuned MSD only Dyno:
Peak to Peak +13 RWHP -.5 RWTQ
Delta Gains +25 RWHP +23 at 6350 rpm
All gains are above 5000 RPM with a loss at 3800

The Rotofab with the dry filter adds an extra 5 rwhp.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472259
Old 12-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Pretty worth it if you get a really good deal on one. Pretty straightforward to install as well. If you can do a brake job, you can do this.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Easy install, less than an hour. Here are my results. Seems expensive to me for what you get but I wanted it more for the extra injector bungs. juicedmotorsports had the best price of the 4 places I checked with.
Attached Images

parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcrusher1 View Post
Yes, for drag racing and yes only bolts ons. What kind of times are you running in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile? mph too... So the intake doesn't help? Hell, I was thinking that's and easy 20 to 30 horsepower and Ill be able to break into the 11's... I'm glad you commented, I will not waste my money then! thanks
I also saw the 20hp/20tq dyno sheet (high altitude) and if that were actually happening, you'd notice it on the strip for sure. However, AFTER I purchased it, I saw TSloper's test, at low altitude, which showed a loss of power under 5200rpm, and a small gain way up top of 7hp. THAT sheet in my opinion is what's really happening, the loss of torque is not overcome on the dragstrip by the slight peak gain in my 2017 A8. Both of those tests were stock tune, and my car is not tuned for the MSD either. The stick shift guys can choose their shift points, so they can try to offset this problem better than my (not trans tune capable at this time) 2017 A8 can. Partially explains why they are happier with it than I am I'd guess.

Dragstrip results thus far:
Stock, I went 7.80 in the 1/8, 12.06 in the 1/4
Few bolt-ons went 7.62 in the 1/8, 11.81 in the 1/4
Flex on E85, went 7.51 in the 1/8, 11.64 in the 1/4
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I also saw the 20hp/20tq dyno sheet (high altitude) and if that were actually happening, you'd notice it on the strip for sure. However, AFTER I purchased it, I saw TSloper's test, at low altitude, which showed a loss of power under 5200rpm, and a small gain way up top of 7hp. THAT sheet in my opinion is what's really happening, the loss of torque is not overcome on the dragstrip by the slight peak gain in my 2017 A8. Both of those tests were stock tune, and my car is not tuned for the MSD either. The stick shift guys can choose their shift points, so they can try to offset this problem better than my (not trans tune capable at this time) 2017 A8 can. Partially explains why they are happier with it than I am I'd guess.

Dragstrip results thus far:
Stock, I went 7.80 in the 1/8, 12.06 in the 1/4
Few bolt-ons went 7.62 in the 1/8, 11.81 in the 1/4
Flex on E85, went 7.51 in the 1/8, 11.64 in the 1/4
I agree. And yes my rev limiter is now 6,800 on my M6. If I short shift one gear I can lose a tenth or more. While I am told 6,800 is safe, I may upgrade the valve train for a little peace of mind. I think for me a shift light would help me be more consistent. On my 5th gens I got to a point where DA affected my times more than anything else with a shift light.

On the street the mid still range pulls nice so I do not notice much of a difference. And now that I discovered the NPP Stealth mode I am back to loving street driving the car with LTs, hiflo cats and a partial 3" system. Then open the flaps at Atco for some noise. This is an amazing car.

Still your times are great for a nearly stock NA car. I wonder if a ported manifold is more effective on a stock tune? E85 seems to be part of the SS Secret Sauce.

If I remember you had the front seat out? I wonder how much that weighs?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #11
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I wonder if a ported manifold is more effective on a stock tune?

If I remember you had the front seat out? I wonder how much that weighs?
I strongly suspect that if I swapped on a ported stock manifold, the car would be a little quicker than it is now.

The seat doesn't feel really heavy when you pull it out. It saves a little weight though. I needed the space to carry a drag radial for my trip to NJ. One stuffed in the trunk and one (plus the jack) where the passenger seat had been.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
It seems to me, any breathing mods (intake/exhaust) will be sub-optimal without a good tune, and sometimes just addressing or over emphasizing one side of the equation can cause performance drop-offs. I've always believed that torque makes your car feel fast, but HP wins races, but certainly you don't want to lose too much botton end torque. For example, I had a highly modified C5 vette that actually ran better with a more restrictive muffler, as the back pressure from a less restrictive muffler did cause torque to drop off.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
mustangcrusher1

so it only makes power from 5200 rpms to 6200 rpms, that's got to hurt your 1/8 and 1/4 performance, right? Your losing tons of power until 5200rpm!!! sounds like a waste of $1000! maybe its better with a tune and maybe e85???
Old 12-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #14
wnta1ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I agree. And yes my rev limiter is now 6,800 on my M6. If I short shift one gear I can lose a tenth or more. While I am told 6,800 is safe, I may upgrade the valve train for a little peace of mind.
Yeah your M6 car from what I've read has the DOD/AFM lifters, but doesn't implement the feature. That makes it a fairly easy choice to go with race lifters. My A8 does use the DOD/AFM and I like having it. On a recent trip, over 1400 miles, it reported 27mpg average. That includes several traffic jams too.