Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #1
Junco

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Mothers Products

any opinions on Mother's products?

https://mothers.com/

a buddy of mine swears that it is the best and although there are online reviews, I don't know what to believe. Looks solid though.
Junco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
When I started detailing cars way back when, you only used one bucket, you put Armour-All on your tires and interior () ..and waxed with turtle wax paste. I've learned a LOT since then and tried many products. My philosophy has evolved into trying to use the best performing product, for the least amount of effort and money. -typically in that order. Similar to other sayings out there, I often feel you can pick any two, but not all three. Sometimes you only get one, but it's worth it. For example, the sealant I use is fairly pricey, but works wonderfully and is painfully easy to use. You have to find what works for you.

That being said, I don't know that I'd ever make a commitment to an entire line of one brand's product. I did sorta adopt Meguiar's back in my late 20's, but now there's only a few of their products that I still use. I've just found better alternatives.

The best product out there is your own commitment to putting forth the effort to properly care for your car. The greatest car care product in the world is worthless if you roll up to Wally World and park in the second row next to an 88 Grand Caravan that looks like some dude is living out of. -on the other hand.... if you take the time to do it right, even retail brands will perform well.

I'm not gonna say good or bad about Mother's, but I'll ask, what products are you looking for??? That's a more direct question I can certainly answer. Only promise I make is that everyone will have their own opinion, so take it for what it's worth!!!!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Lorne

Drives: 2019 SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post

The best product out there is your own commitment to putting forth the effort to properly care for your car.

if you take the time to do it right, even retail brands will perform well.

. Only promise I make is that everyone will have their own opinion, so take it for what it's worth!!!!
Well said

My Gramdfather was my mentor, way ahead of his time without today’s products, and his saying was it isn’t how you clean it, it’s about how you keep it clean.
Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #4
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
I like the California Gold line, especially the spray wax used as a drying aid, and Back to Black.

EDIT: I forgot I use VLR all the time, including on my fake leather couch in my living room and I also like the wash mitt.

Last edited by KirkH; 04-27-2020 at 09:57 PM.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
It occurred to me that for all my soapboxing, I didn't directly answer the question!

There's nothing wrong with Mothers products, and they will serve you well! That being said, there's really no one line of product, no one brand that is best. Start with Mothers, but don't be afraid to branch out if you find one or two of their products don't seem to do exactly what you want. Case and point would be tire dressing. I don't like greasy and I don't like glossy. I like a dark black, matte/satin look. Since most people like really glossy and wet looking, I had to find one that worked for me. Couldn't shop by brand, but rather by reviews and trial and error.

But Mothers is a great place to start!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
They make a lot of good products and use a few of them. I like to try every brand and different things and see which one works for you and your car.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
As one of the readily available brands I really like Mothers. There is certainly better stuff out there, but usually not something you can find at the local parts store.

My first Camaro got nothing but Mothers products and did just fine. Second Camaro got Zaino stuff, then I moved on to a mix of lots of different products. My one go to now is Adams, but there are still other products that I use. I have some Mothers VLR and R3 that I still use on some things. Also use their aluminum polish sometimes. Nothing wrong with Mothers. It's not the best out there, but it can do a good job if you do it properly.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
harner

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I think I have a Powercone somewhere in my collection. I am not a big Mothers guy, but I'm sure the bulk of their products are just fine for guys and girls who prefer to buy local.
1994 Trans Am LM7/CPT 4L60E/9"
1987 IROC
2006 Silverado
harner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
bscott07

Drives: 89/99 Silverado’s / future Ca
I know it’s hard to claim “best” for any product. It would be interesting to see different tiers for products used by y’all that have detailed a lot/long time. With so much out there I’ve stuck with Mothers/Megs. I currently have some Pearl Nano to use when I finish off the Megs. Any way to create a poll or something with different opinions and views on products here?
bscott07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 AM   #10
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I've used Mother's and McGuire's over the years and I don't see a difference between the two. If I can't find one, I'll use the other.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #11
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Mother's is as good as any for the most part. Personally I use different brands of products, depending on what type of product I'm using. Be it wax, sealant, detail spray, cleaner, etc, etc...
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
It's good consumer grade.

There is much better stuff, but mother's is made for the guy that wants to wax his car really quick and is at Walmart. There's better, but there is always better. But what you like using and anyone that's a brand lover just misses other good products

You know all this stuff starts off the same and is ordered in bulk. Manufactures get the base and are able to add different things to it for different effects and use. Basically we're all using some variation of the same thing.
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:23 PM   #13
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Has anyone tried the CMX Ceramic Wash and Coat?

I'm intrigued, and willing to give it a shot on my work car.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote