#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #155
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
I daily drove my 2005 Lotus Elise for over a year. And that is one of the most driver oriented cars every made. So no you guessed wrong. I just don't get all worked up thinking shifting gears somehow is this huge orgasmic experience. It's fun and quicker in some cars and in some the auto/dual clutch is faster. I'm for quicker times and ability to use all the power.
Yeah, that's sorta what I meant. Driving a manual fast and driving an auto fast is not as similar as you make is sound. Daily driving and racing are not the same thing.

Mess up a shift, even a little and it greatly effects your time and can even upset the car during a turn.

NOT even remotely as similar as you eluded to.

Nothing wrong with preferring an auto, for any reason, but let's not try and create a false equivalency.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #156
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Yeah, that's sorta what I meant. Driving a manual fast and driving an auto fast is not as similar as you make is sound. Daily driving and racing are not the same thing.

Mess up a shift, even a little and it greatly effects your time and can even upset the car during a turn.

NOT even remotely as similar as you eluded to.

Nothing wrong with preferring an auto, for any reason, but let's not try and create a false equivalency.
Wow, thanks so much for explaining to me how driving a manual at the track is. I had no idea. Today has been eye opening, for real.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #157
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Wow, thanks so much for explaining to me how driving a manual at the track is. I had no idea. Today has been eye opening, for real.
Anytime dude! You're welcome.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #158
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Great news , but wait ! Last year I specifically asked this question and was told by the experts here that an automatic 1LE was a stupid idea and impossible because the lazy weak automatic was no good , got hot and was a joke on the track. Any real track car has to be a manual transmission bla bla bla.
Well I guess times are really changing , this will be another category where the automatic transmission beats up on the manual transmission. So now the manual transmission has no venue where it’s faster. None. That was the manual transmissions fanboys only bragging point.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #159
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Funny, since the bigger ask has been for a SS 1LE w/ 10L90 in it. If they did that, there would be a chance of saving the '19 MY. All goes back to the GM ideal of less cars, higher prices, less workers, more profits.

And I'm not sure why the press release calls it a new transmission. The 10L90 is on it's 3rd year and the only new 10 speed was the 10L80, which definitely wouldn't go into this car. Maybe they should clarify that a different rear end gear and optimized calibration in Sport and Track modes are the difference over the normal ZL1 when the 1LE package is selected with automatic transmission.

Wake me up with the 1SS 1LE is available with the 10L90 (not the 10L80) and retains the eLSD. A little motor massaging to that car and it will be a better car around any circuit for any length of time. But for those that want out of the box only, I guess the only thing left to ask for would be the LT5 option for 2020, too bad it will be an 80k Camaro by the time gas tax and delivery are added.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #160
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
The only advantages that manuals now have are:
1. FUN factor
2. "Automotive purist" factor (kind of the same as #1)
3. Cooler operating temps
4. Lighter
5. Less complex/expensive
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #161
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Funny, since the bigger ask has been for a SS 1LE w/ 10L90 in it. If they did that, there would be a chance of saving the '19 MY. All goes back to the GM ideal of less cars, higher prices, less workers, more profits.

And I'm not sure why the press release calls it a new transmission. The 10L90 is on it's 3rd year and the only new 10 speed was the 10L80, which definitely wouldn't go into this car. Maybe they should clarify that a different rear end gear and optimized calibration in Sport and Track modes are the difference over the normal ZL1 when the 1LE package is selected with automatic transmission.

Wake me up with the 1SS 1LE is available with the 10L90 (not the 10L80) and retains the eLSD. A little motor massaging to that car and it will be a better car around any circuit for any length of time. But for those that want out of the box only, I guess the only thing left to ask for would be the LT5 option for 2020, too bad it will be an 80k Camaro by the time gas tax and delivery are added.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what does the 10L90 have over the 10L80 other than the 10L90 being beefed up for ZL1 power levels?

Something to do with the eLSD?
Old 01-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #162
ST1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
The only advantages that manuals now have are:
1. FUN factor
2. "Automotive purist" factor (kind of the same as #1)
3. Cooler operating temps
4. Lighter
5. Less complex/expensive
That's pretty spot on. Additionally, to hell with 'tradition' and 'exclusivity' IMO. Offer both on all these dang cars, the ZLE in A10 is going to be so fast, I can't wait to see how much faster it is over the manual. Just curious how much 'room' is left to improve that car's already insane capabilities.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #163
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
I thought track days were about having fun in you car, not being a second or so faster per lap.
How do you win a track day? (Hint, going home in one piece wins the track day)
Old 01-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #164
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
This has been easily the fastest growing and most heated thread in the ZL1 sections history. The Automatic vs. Manual debate is like Republican vs. Democrat, France vs. England, Camaro vs. Mustang, Rome vs. Greece, etc. It will never end and there'll be arguments to be made on both sides.

If you want the auto, buy the auto.

If you want the manual, buy the manual

I personally haven't had an automatic performance car up until the ZL1 and Z06. Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I love it. Clearly, the performance world is showing a preference. Manuals are clearly being phased out. When a manual version of most cars is offered, be it Porsche, Corvette, etc., the auto outsells the manual by a vast margin. Limiting cars to manual only does not make sense for manufacturers anymore.

I believe the C7 Corvette will be the last Corvette offered with a manual transmission. All of the rumors/intel I have say it's DCT only for the C8.

The debate will never end.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #165
lgarrison34

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE HBM, 2010 SS FBO/Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
I thought track days were about having fun in you car, not being a second or so faster per lap.
+1
Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #166
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
This is very true and how it should be, but for some people (aka ME) it's not that simple. My first time at a track is all about fun, just learning the track, enjoying the day, etc... but after that my competitive side kicks in (this could also be a symptom of playing Sim-racers for the better part of 10+ years) and it's all about seeing how fast I can be. Of course the only person I'm really "racing" is myself. Maybe not 10 tenths every single lap, but if I don't leave that day having turned a faster lap than the last time I was there I will be very disappointed in myself haha I'm not saying that's how everyone should be, just that's how some/a lot of us are, so therefore any improvement to the car is seen as a way to be faster and that appeals to us.

*There is absolutely nothing wrong with your way of thinking, by all means just have fun!!!*
Old 01-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #167
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
It is apparent that if an A 10 gets down the track, or around the track more quickly it is the more engaging of the two.
If ya like the stick drive the stick, if ya like the automatic drive the automatic. What's not to love about having options?
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #168
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Yes, someone spends $75k on a 650hp car, throws a cage in it, buys track tires and wheels, trailers it to the track, and is not there to go a second or two faster

That's some Miata forum talk.
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote