Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Throttle body change out on my 17 SS 1LE D1SC

So my TB took a dump a couple of weeks ago, it was a ported unit that I had on the car since the 1st ones came out for the 6th gens. So I threw the stock unit on the car and did the relearn process for the TB.

A lot of people said there was no need to replace the ported TB and to just run the stock one, that since I am on a blow thru setup (Centri for a Procharger D1SC) I wouldnt see any gains at all. The engineering side of my brain struggles with that mindset as even the shop that did the initial install of the D1SC said there are no gains for TB or intake manifolds on Centri cars. I decided to test the theory.

I purchased a brand new ported TB from Soler Performance, got it installed and relearned. Then I proceeded to start pulling some data logs. Those logs confirmed my hunch.

While yes the system is a push thru blower and not a pull thru blower the car still saw an increase in airflow versus what the previous ported TB saw for the same temps and conditions.

Now to get the car on the dyno once some cooler weather comes around and I get the A/F cleaned up and see what kind of power it is putting down. Hoping at that point to hit the track as well for some better times as well versus the last time I was out there and running on a dying LPFP.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I just put on a Soler TB on my ride, and I'm very impressed so far. Maybe they are just a notch up on the competition IDK, but for such a simple small change it sure makes a noticeable difference
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:47 PM   #3
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
How did you perform a relearn of the throttle body?
Old 07-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #4
TJay74

To do the install you need to disconnect the battery in the trunk 1st before you do anything at all on the install.

Then once everything is buttoned up and the battery is hooked back up you do the following:

-Key on engine off for 3 minutes
-Key off for 1 minute
-Key off for 1 minute
-Start car and let idle for 1 minute, then take for a drive.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
Old 07-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
To do the install you need to disconnect the battery in the trunk 1st before you do anything at all on the install.

Then once everything is buttoned up and the battery is hooked back up you do the following:

-Key off for 1 minute
-Key off for 1 minute
-Start car and let idle for 1 minute, then take for a drive.

Just curious... do you get a signal on the dash that the TB is reset?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
TJay74

No.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
So my TB took a dump a couple of weeks ago, it was a ported unit that I had on the car since the 1st ones came out for the 6th gens. So I threw the stock unit on the car and did the relearn process for the TB.

A lot of people said there was no need to replace the ported TB and to just run the stock one, that since I am on a blow thru setup (Centri for a Procharger D1SC) I wouldnt see any gains at all. The engineering side of my brain struggles with that mindset as even the shop that did the initial install of the D1SC said there are no gains for TB or intake manifolds on Centri cars. I decided to test the theory.

I purchased a brand new ported TB from Soler Performance, got it installed and relearned. Then I proceeded to start pulling some data logs. Those logs confirmed my hunch.

While yes the system is a push thru blower and not a pull thru blower the car still saw an increase in airflow versus what the previous ported TB saw for the same temps and conditions.

Now to get the car on the dyno once some cooler weather comes around and I get the A/F cleaned up and see what kind of power it is putting down. Hoping at that point to hit the track as well for some better times as well versus the last time I was out there and running on a dying LPFP.
What was the Baro readings before and after?

Air density have a huge effect on Total Air flow through the engine.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote