Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-28-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
mrtoner

Drives: 2016 SS Nightfall Gray
Rear Qtr Top Dimpling Solved

Yesterday, after reading about other members seeing dimples on the top of the rear quarter, I went out and looked at mine, and saw no dimples.

Today, I did some detailing, and when doing the rear window, I have to lean way over [I am 5'6"]. I didn't realize I was leaning with my left elbow until I suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of oil-canning!

Sure enough, right where my elbow was, there was a dimple .

The good news is, that I pulled out the trunk liner on that side, and reached in to feel where the dimple was located on the inside.

I very slowly applied upward thumb pressure right at the dimple, and now it is totally invisible.

For those of you that take it through full service car washes, it could be that the guys wiping off the car and cleaning the rear window are doing the same thing.

Or, like many of us that don't put it through the car wash, we are doing it while cleaning or detailing.

My $.02
mrtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I didn't get a chance yesterday to chime in on the original thread but I agree with you. The metal on the top of the quarter panel is very thin. I have accidentally pushed on it when resting one hand on it while bending over to clean the lower portion around the wheel. It pops up and down very easily with very little pressure and a dimple could be the result.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I take the cover off it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
"Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together." - overheard from a surface officer explaining to another sailor about Submariners
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Mine has dimples on both sides in the exact same spot. It doesn't bother me though.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
For those that have the car tinted, maybe it was the tint guy. They cut the film on the outside and lean over to do this.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Inthepasture

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Agreed. The body panels are soooo thin.
These are not the cars of the past where you could sit on the hood and lean on the windshield. Ever see a Camaro with a model posed on top? Nope. The panels would collapse.
Inthepasture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
This confirms why I ended up with about 10 small hail damage dents from a storm I never would've given a second thought to in any other car. Hate how thin the panels are.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
And the Aluminum hood needs special attention.
When hail is approaching if car is outside I throw the thick rubber Camaro trunk mat, floor mats, fruniture pads on the car.
Here is a photo of aluminum hood hail damage from the forum:
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
MarkZ

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT
I have them too. Mine were TERRIBLE from the dealership(mine was in showroom) plus a few added to it from getting the windows tinted. I made dealer aware of them nearly immediately after purchase, they attempted to fix free of charge via paintless dent removal. Worked about 70%.....but still noticeable. And my car is white. Would drive me crazy if it were a dark color.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 AM   #10
MarkZ

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
For those that have the car tinted, maybe it was the tint guy. They cut the film on the outside and lean over to do this.
That's where I got some of mine as well. When I said this back in April people thought I was crazy lol.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZ View Post
That's where I got some of mine as well. When I said this back in April people thought I was crazy lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I've got them too. One on each side and it may have been from the guys tinting the windows. I bought the car used with the window tint already done, and did see them, so it's not a huge deal to me.
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:23 PM   #12
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrankin View Post
I've got them too. One on each side and it may have been from the guys tinting the windows. I bought the car used with the window tint already done, and did see them, so it's not a huge deal to me.
I have a rented 2016 1SS till tomorrow. I noticed these small dimple dents on the rear panels right about the gas tank cap on the drivers side as well. This Camaro has been beat from the looks. I placed 1 finger and slightly pressed down and it dimpled the panel that easy. Very weak part of he car i will be avoiding to touch. The tinters, or people doing roof work like wrapping ect. can be the root of the cause. I will try to get a pic of this Camaro's dimples before i return it.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Yea these new cars are very susceptible to denting. As stated before, the metal is so thin to shed weight for fuel savings. Cars like the Corvette need not worry with this issue and cars that have plastic panels.
I get it but it's really a shame. The least bit of pressure or innocent contact can make the most anal person not want their whip any more. Hell back in the days when my dad had his Pontiac Executive, it would be out in a hail storm and not have mark on it.