Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #1
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Seen the "Texas Metal" 2018 project on 2018 ZL1?

I did just a quick search here on the forum, but found no mention of the 2018 Season 2, episodes 2 and 3, of the "Texas Metal" TV show in which the shop, "Ekstension Metal Works", radically modifies a 2018 ZL1.

For those who have not seen these 2 episodes, and have access to them (I get them through my cable connection), they are worth watching just because of the VERY radical work done on the car, whch I would not have believed was actually possible.

The client wanted the car lowered to the point that when the air suspension was dropped fully, the sheet metal would sit on the pavement!

The shop actually tore out the stock suspension front and back, and built a full ALUMINUM frame instead for the car, and built that frame so that it was fully embedded within the steel factory body via custom cut channeling of the body, in order to achieve the client's request.

They also did a very radical interior and exterior colour scheme that is best described as TRULY RED.

It's worth watching if you have not seen it and have access to it.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:06 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Saw it the first time around. It was a BRAND NEW ZL1 straight from being delivered.

An incredible build to say the least. Tore it completely apart and built it back up around a new scratch built full frame.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:37 PM   #3
Alan47717

Drives: 2022 1LT RS 2.0t/6spd
I have seen quite a few episodes of that show including the ZL1 customization. It has been awhile and I don't want to start start an argument but I have never seen that shop build an aluminum frame and I don't know how you could weld one into a steel bodied car. It would have to be glued, riveted or otherwise attached to deal with the dissimilar metal issues. And I definitely remember them welding that car together.

I have a pet peeve with these customization shows in that they never give you (for very good reasons I suspect) before and after weights of these things. I predict that ZL1 easily gained more than 500 pounds in that refit and I'm probably being kind. They replaced a sophisticated independent rear suspension with a live axle and blacksmithed the front to get the lowering accomplished. Anyone care to take this beast out corner carving? I think my Equinox would handle better.
Alan47717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:32 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I've seen this episode before. A nice car turned into a freak. Definitely a good way to showcase their fabrication skills but not for me. To each his own.
Old 11-18-2022, 06:21 AM   #5
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Saw it the first time around. It was a BRAND NEW ZL1 straight from being delivered.

An incredible build to say the least. Tore it completely apart and built it back up around a new scratch built full frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
I've seen this episode before. A nice car turned into a freak. Definitely a good way to showcase their fabrication skills but not for me. To each his own.
I saw this episode too when it first came out. I couldn't believe they tore apart a brand new ZL1 and then rebuilt it. They do have incredible skills, but that build isn't something I would want either. I'm not in to the huge wheels and the air suspensions.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:45 AM   #6
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Agreed... Why would you do that?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #7
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Just.....why????
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:57 AM   #8
NYTMARE23
NYTMARE23

Drives: Black 2023 Chevrolet ZL1 A10
Have to agree about taking a nice car and turning it fugly. Not taking away from their skills, and definitely not something I would remotely like, but to each their own.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:14 AM   #9
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Watched it for the first time last night. First thing I noticed is in the beginning when they're ripping the stock car, it's in Tour mode. However, pretty interesting to watch them tear apart the car and realize their vision. As others have noted, not for me and I believe they made the car much worse than how it came from the factory. That said, still entertaining.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:22 AM   #10
Jus Cruisin
Old Gearhead

Drives: 2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
I have the show on record. His stuff is over the top most of the time. These owners have zero interest in tracking, racing. They are car show cars and cruising cars. I have no issue with that. The truck frames and suspensions are incredible. Years ago, I had a few trucks with big lifts and loved owning them. Practical? Of course not. Fun? Yep. Now, I couldn't even climb up in them. I'm having a hard enough time getting in and out of the Camaro.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:22 AM   #11
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan47717 View Post
I have seen quite a few episodes of that show including the ZL1 customization. It has been awhile and I don't want to start start an argument but I have never seen that shop build an aluminum frame and I don't know how you could weld one into a steel bodied car. It would have to be glued, riveted or otherwise attached to deal with the dissimilar metal issues. And I definitely remember them welding that car together.

. . .
You missed a couple of important parts they showed, and explained, in that episode.

First, they DID build an aluminum frame. They did that to minimize the overall weight increase. In one part of the video, it shows them carrying the aluminum frame to the car, and commenting on how light it was compared to a steel frame.

Second, they did NOT weld that aluminum frame into the car body.

Instead, they cut 2 parallel front-to-back tunnels in the steel body, and welded a pair of steel channels into them. That did 2 things:

1. It provided a pair of strong STEEL channels that re-strengthened the sheet metal body after they cut the tunnels to make 3-D space for the aluminum frame. Those steel channels were welded full length, through every body contuour that contacted the steel channels, for strength and rigidity.

2. It made it possible to BOLT the aluminum frame to the 2 steel channels, not weld it.

Yes, of course all this and the suspension changes and ridiculously large wheels and tires did not improve the drivability of the car. But you have missed, as others have pointed out, the PURPOSE of the mods that this shop does. As the opening credits point out in every episode, its customers don't come there to get what they NEED, but rather what they WANT. And what they want are radically ARTISTIC vehicles (mostly trucks & SUVs by the way), that attract attention AND exhibit features that to a normal shop appear "impossible" to do. Their clients are wealthy individuals who want something that attracts attention, wins car shows, or advertises for them at a trade event. Their clients are NOT hotrodders, dragracers, or track racers like most of the people on this forum.

Their most "practical" project that I have seen to-date is the one where they radically air-suspended a working trailer-towing pickup that pulls a 3-car enclosed trailer, put on 28 inch wheels, and built The World's most beautiful gooseneck hitch mount, made mostly of multiple pieces of curved tubing. The darn truck was beautiful to look at like a great painting is, and had exactly the "presence" that the car show exhibitor owner wanted.

This is what they do. And I'm glad they do it. I have learned SO much watching that series, especially about techniques to build interiors using common (not exotic) materials that are often just breathtaking, and paintwork techniques that incorporate, simultaneously, multiple paint colours, airbrushing, unusual or unusually concentrated flake materials, and even gold foil embedded within the paint.

All things considered, but especially workmanship and artistry, I consider it the best, and most inspirational, of the car shop series that I have seen so far.

Jim G
Old 11-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #12
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
All things considered, but especially workmanship and artistry, I consider it the best, and most inspirational, of the car shop series that I have seen so far.
Wait until you see what Dave Kindig/Bitchin Rides did to a customer's mint '72 Green Pantera from a workmanship stand point. Talk about artistry, same customer took an 2004 Rolls Royce and had Kindig repaint it as a tribute to Lennon's "Yellow Submarine".
Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #13
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction65 View Post
Wait until you see what Dave Kindig/Bitchin Rides did to a customer's mint '72 Green Pantera from a workmanship stand point. Talk about artistry, same customer took an 2004 Rolls Royce and had Kindig repaint it as a tribute to Lennon's "Yellow Submarine".
I've seen several episodes about the Pantera. It was amazing what they did to that car. I would love to have that car, not the ZL1 that Texas Metal did. Not that I don't appreciate the work and craftsmanship that went into the ZL1, it's just not the type of car (as modified) that would appeal to me. The Pantera on the other hand I would love to have. Kindig also did a restoration of a Mercedes Gull Wing replica several years ago and it was phenomenal as well.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:50 AM   #14
JimGnitecki

After those recommendations, I'll have to find and check out the Dave Kindig/Bitchin Rides videos!

Jim G