Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 09-18-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
Smile Replaced Control Valve Solenoid 12687167 / Camshaft Position Sensor V6 LGX P0014

Hello,

Code P0014: "Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 Exhaust," first appeared while on a recent road trip, at approximatly 64,000 miles. I was in Washington DC at the time and stopped at an AutoZone for a complimentary scan. As I did not have any noticable loss of power or driveability issues, I continued on my tour. Eventually the CEL turned off and I assumed the issue was temporary. By the time I reached Texas, the CEL re-illuminated and three mechanics advised me to replace the part when I arrive home in NY. They said I may experience a decrease in gas milage and performance. As I continued on my tour, the CEL, again, turned off.

Back home & 6000 miles later:
The day before yesterday, I performed an oil change and used a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner, as apart of my routine DIY maintenance. Yesterday, after Goodyear rotated my tires, the CEL re-illuminated. I decided to finally tackle this issue head on. I picked up a resonable $45 OBD scanner from Harbor Freight Tools. The scan presented the same code I was shown in both DC and Texas, "Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1 Exhaust." I purchased a "Control Valve Solenoid - GM (12687167)"
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...noid-12687167/ from my local dealer, Atlantic Chevrolet, for $48.56. I discovered Bank 1 is located on the passanger side of the engine through process of elimination. First, I disconected the wire from the visable driver side sensor. Do note, the small wire clip is very tight and required a tool to pull it off but be careful not to pull on the wires themselves! Second, I rescanned with the OBD and read "open circuit bank 2 exhaust." Therefor, I knew I was on the wrong side of the engine. Unlike bank 2, bank 1 is hidden underneath the foam insulation on the passanger side. I could not easily remove the insulation, so I cut a small slit just long enough to access the 10mm nut. I then removed the old sensor/solenoid and replaced it with the new one. The original part did not appear to have any visable damage and perhaps it can be salvaged after a bath in injector cleaner. Before driving, I gave the Camaro a much needed wash with Meguiar's gold wash.

I roughly followed the GM driving cycle instructions to remove the permanent code: http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

I drove the car 50 miles, allowed it to cool down for several hours and then drove it an additional 50 miles, mostly on cruze control. By the time I arrived home, the CEL had turned off. I checked with the OBD scanner and saw both "permanent" and "pending" codes had cleared themselves. The "stored" codes do remain and did not erase when instructed to. Should I be concerned about this? Gas milage appears to have improved. I do believe my issue has been resolved and hope my experience can help those with a similar matter. I will update if the CEL reappears.

-2017 1LT V6 LGX M6 Vert, stock
-Currently 70,240 miles
-I am the 2nd owner since 48,000 miles, purchased December 2018.
-Only use ExxonMobile 93 Supreme gas
-OCI of 6,000 miles / 20% oil life
Attached Images

Last edited by wintertopdown; 09-18-2019 at 06:53 AM.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
Now bank 2 exhaust is throwing an over-advanced code. I am replacing the solenoid today. Car is about to hit 90,000 miles.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
maksimmus

Drives: maksimmus
Unhappy same issue

I have the same issue. Mechanic said that timing chain replacement needed, so i did it, but after 2000 miles code came back.
The car running normally, but when I drive aggressively for a long period of time on a highway car losing power dramatically and the engine light comes on. After 30 minutes of idle, it runs normally like nothing happened

I would like to read you post before i spend a lot of money and time replacing a chain instead of trying change solenoid first (
Attached Images

maksimmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Wintertopdown, did any issues with Bank A or B solenoids persist after you replaced both?
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
phxsec

Drives: 2016 2LT A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
Wintertopdown, did any issues with Bank A or B solenoids persist after you replaced both?
Not sure if this helps or anything, but i had the EXACT same problem. i just went ahead and replaced all 4, and just last night from a spirited driving road trip, the CEL came back on with the same code i had when i replaced them 5/6 months ago (about 10k/12k miles ago). i kept my old parts, gonna clean them and just process of elimination at this point, and if that don't work then i'm just going to warrenty my vehicle.
phxsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:39 PM   #6
Castillojp86
K-Camaro

Drives: 2016 V6 1LT
I'm having same issue. 52k miles P0024 please help. Im afraid of it being costly
Castillojp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:20 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Either the oil control valve (solenoid) or oil flow is usually the problem here. Flow problems can be due to blockage or viscosity.

Interesting how the OP reported different behavior as he drove around the country. Viscosity was probably a factor.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camshaft position sensor, lgx