#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-24-2022, 10:52 PM   #29
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Matthew is referring to a harness bar like this which does not provide any rollover protection. In a rollover, the seat cannot break away and lay flat since the harness bar will hinder that movement. Should the roof cave in, your body is fixed upright. I'm sure you can imagine the implications of this hypothetical situation.
Thanks, but I'm questioning the statement that the seat will break away by design in a roll-over.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:26 AM   #30
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Thanks, but I'm questioning the statement that the seat will break away by design in a roll-over.
Ah, I see! Doh! Yeah I've only heard that anecdotally (albeit often) but never saw any reference or regulation stating that stock seats breakaway in a rollover.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #31
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Ah, I see! Doh! Yeah I've only heard that anecdotally (albeit often) but never saw any reference or regulation stating that stock seats breakaway in a rollover.

I have my doubts that this is a requirement, since I suspect that this would be very difficult to achieve given that it's in direct conflict with what you want the seat to do in any other type of collision. Having a seat back collapse in any other type of collision would leave the occupant unrestrained and much more likely to receive serious injury. Not to mention the risk to a rear seat passenger. Trying to differentiate the forces between a roll-over and any other type of collision would be challenging to say the least and I suspect a rear-end collision would put more load on the seat than a roll-over.

Incidentally, Schroth only recommends the QuickFit belts in cars they have tested to ensure adequate seat back strength.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 02:12 PM   #32
1leny

Drives: 1le
Is stock seat work with harness w bar ?

Thanks
1leny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #33
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Some goodies have arrived
Attached Images

PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:13 AM   #34
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
^ Awesome. You are going to be so much faster now!
Old 11-27-2022, 04:29 PM   #35
jhuntd02526

Drives: camaro ss 1ie
Hpde safety

This is my 8th year doing HPDE. Have had the SS1LE for the past 2 years. I just want to share my experience and thoughts. My previous hpde car had a full safety system set up including full roll cage, hans device, fire suppression et cetera and completely stripped out.

When i got the Camaro I still wanted some degree of safety above the stock setting. Everybody talks about the Hans device and race seating whenever they plan to upgrade to a "safer system".

In my Camaro i had a seat mount, race seat, 6pt harness and hans device and harness bar. There are many and severe problems in this set up.

My seat mount broke not because of any accident just from fatigue and failure.

I had read all the forums and the pros and cons of this setup and of course I ignored the information because I wanted this set up. Cool after all.

I started to think then, what is it that people die of from motor vehicle accidents. As a family physician I started to do some research. And I found that neck injury is not the primary cause death. I have provided an excellent link regarding motor vehicle accidents and fatalities.

"Causes of fatalities in motor vehicle occupants: an overview
Springer
July 2022
Forensic Science Medicine and Pathology 18(1)"

The key points:

1. Blunt force trauma is the most common lethal event frequently with a combination of injuries to the head, chest, abdomen and limbs.

2. A variety of other fatal situations may occur that may involve sharp force and penetrating trauma, incineration, drowning, asphyxia, organic diseases or combinations of these.

3. Mechanism may be immediately lethal or death may occur from post-trauma .

In basic summary, without getting to much detail, I would say either you do the entire system as defined by the race car organizations after decades of reseach or you keep it stock and rely on the excellent integrated system that Camaro has put together.

Yes, I know we're all going to die. There is no fool Proof system. This is a dangerous sport but we all love it.

Be safe, have fun and enjoy the privilege you have to do such a cool sport

Jack
jhuntd02526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:23 PM   #36
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuntd02526 View Post
This is my 8th year doing HPDE. Have had the SS1LE for the past 2 years. I just want to share my experience and thoughts. My previous hpde car had a full safety system set up including full roll cage, hans device, fire suppression et cetera and completely stripped out.

When i got the Camaro I still wanted some degree of safety above the stock setting. Everybody talks about the Hans device and race seating whenever they plan to upgrade to a "safer system".

In my Camaro i had a seat mount, race seat, 6pt harness and hans device and harness bar. There are many and severe problems in this set up.

My seat mount broke not because of any accident just from fatigue and failure.

I had read all the forums and the pros and cons of this setup and of course I ignored the information because I wanted this set up. Cool after all.

I started to think then, what is it that people die of from motor vehicle accidents. As a family physician I started to do some research. And I found that neck injury is not the primary cause death. I have provided an excellent link regarding motor vehicle accidents and fatalities.

"Causes of fatalities in motor vehicle occupants: an overview
Springer
July 2022
Forensic Science Medicine and Pathology 18(1)"

The key points:

1. Blunt force trauma is the most common lethal event frequently with a combination of injuries to the head, chest, abdomen and limbs.

2. A variety of other fatal situations may occur that may involve sharp force and penetrating trauma, incineration, drowning, asphyxia, organic diseases or combinations of these.

3. Mechanism may be immediately lethal or death may occur from post-trauma .

In basic summary, without getting to much detail, I would say either you do the entire system as defined by the race car organizations after decades of reseach or you keep it stock and rely on the excellent integrated system that Camaro has put together.

Yes, I know we're all going to die. There is no fool Proof system. This is a dangerous sport but we all love it.

Be safe, have fun and enjoy the privilege you have to do such a cool sport

Jack

So let me get this straight your saying if you install a roll bar not a Harness bar, race seats with the high end mounts that get secured to the factory points. Use 6pt harness with a hans device on track your safer with the stock set-up?
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #37
jhuntd02526

No sure. Because you have no data in that type of setup to prove or establish it is better. And likewise I have no data to show that my setup is better than what you described. We would need crash testing which will never be done. If anyone is aware of Crash testing videos on the harness setup I would love to see them.

Thanks for the comment
Jack
Old 11-27-2022, 08:35 PM   #38
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuntd02526 View Post
No sure. Because you have no data in that type of setup to prove or establish it is better. And likewise I have no data to show that my setup is better than what you described. We would need crash testing which will never be done. If anyone is aware of Crash testing videos on the harness setup I would love to see them.

Thanks for the comment
Jack
Oem equipment is not tested in track settings also so not sure how that will perform.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:30 AM   #39
jhuntd02526

Exactly, but a full race system is. Without question. I was still rather rely myself on the OEM system. We each have our reasons and I respect yours