Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
driftking123

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Best cat connectors for headers

So I was looking at long tube headers with cats, but they are all around $1200+. Then I found some for $600-$750 without cats. Here's one link:

https://extremeonlinestore.com/colle...g-tube-headers

A couple other sites have some around the same price. But I can't find any cats with a connection to easily connect to the above headers in the link. I'd prefer to do this myself and not drive to a muffler shop. I'm also considering making the connection without the cats. But again, I can't find any connectors that bolt up to the above headers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
driftking123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
That’s why on a budget we do tsp or speed engineering headers
Old 11-06-2022, 04:27 PM   #3
driftking123

Do the speed engineering headers clamp/bolt up to the stock exhaust? So if I forgo cats and just install the speed engineering headers and cut the stock exhaust, will that work? I'm the description it says you have to buy their x-pipe, but is that just a marketing thing or can I make it work with my exhaust?
Old 11-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #4
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I did TSP headers with catless connections. They do leak at the connection as I hear them "spitting". I will warn you, it's pretty loud in sport/track mode. I guess it depends on how far you are from neighbors on a cold start.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #5
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
You probably shouldn't live with leaks at your connections. A bit of this properly applied will keep most connections sealed.

Well hell, image didn't post: You should be able to seal up connecters with some permatex ultra copper.

Ex Spec Miata driver.

Last edited by SHessler; 11-08-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Image didn't post
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:29 PM   #6
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I did TSP headers with catless connections. They do leak at the connection as I hear them "spitting". I will warn you, it's pretty loud in sport/track mode. I guess it depends on how far you are from neighbors on a cold start.
Thanks. I'm still deciding on what to do. The loudness is not going to be fun. I may have to table this mod for a while.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:40 AM   #7
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking123 View Post
So I was looking at long tube headers with cats, but they are all around $1200+. Then I found some for $600-$750 without cats. Here's one link:

https://extremeonlinestore.com/colle...g-tube-headers

A couple other sites have some around the same price. But I can't find any cats with a connection to easily connect to the above headers in the link. I'd prefer to do this myself and not drive to a muffler shop. I'm also considering making the connection without the cats. But again, I can't find any connectors that bolt up to the above headers.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
I think the best two options for headers are the Kooks and CSP headers that bolt to the stock exhaust. With pretty much everything else, you have to do some welding and fabrication or you need to buy a complete system from the engine to the tailpipe which is even more expensive.

And I would NOT go cat-less. Car will sound terrible and you are very likely to get really bad droning when just driving around.

And with budget brands (Speed Engineering, Texas Speed, EOS) they may fit fine but they also might be a nightmare.

I have had Texas Speed headers and could never get them adjusted to where they didn't rub on something under the car.

So even though it makes my eyes bleed, I always go with Kooks.

CSP used to be the best option as you could get them for around $1200 or so with cats. Now, they are closer to $2000.

If I were you, I would just hold off, save up some money and get a quality set of Kooks with cats.

Check out DSP Performance (I think he used to be RDP Store). You can get a set of 1 7/8 Kooks headers with cats for just over $1500. And I think that is also with free shipping (and I don't think he charges any sales tax either). Just make sure to use his promo code of kok12d as that will take 10% off the regular price to get to the $1500. I don't think you can find this anywhere else for cheaper.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
driftking123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I think the best two options for headers are the Kooks and CSP headers that bolt to the stock exhaust. With pretty much everything else, you have to do some welding and fabrication or you need to buy a complete system from the engine to the tailpipe which is even more expensive.

And I would NOT go cat-less. Car will sound terrible and you are very likely to get really bad droning when just driving around.

And with budget brands (Speed Engineering, Texas Speed, EOS) they may fit fine but they also might be a nightmare.

I have had Texas Speed headers and could never get them adjusted to where they didn't rub on something under the car.

So even though it makes my eyes bleed, I always go with Kooks.

CSP used to be the best option as you could get them for around $1200 or so with cats. Now, they are closer to $2000.

If I were you, I would just hold off, save up some money and get a quality set of Kooks with cats.

Check out DSP Performance (I think he used to be RDP Store). You can get a set of 1 7/8 Kooks headers with cats for just over $1500. And I think that is also with free shipping (and I don't think he charges any sales tax either). Just make sure to use his promo code of kok12d as that will take 10% off the regular price to get to the $1500. I don't think you can find this anywhere else for cheaper.
Thank you very much for this info. You are right, I'm holding off for a bit. At least till after Christmas.
Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:27 AM   #9
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I was thinking of trying to wrap the joint with some header wrap, then reclamping it, but it sounds like that's too thick. I may need to try that Permatex stuff.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:15 AM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Quote:
I was thinking of trying to wrap the joint with some header wrap, then reclamping it, but it sounds like that's too thick. I may need to try that Permatex stuff.
I had luck with it. Just make sure you clean it really good with brake clean and give it the full time to cure
Old 11-25-2022, 06:38 AM   #11
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
I just re-sealed my Kooks headers and catted connection pipes. I had some leaks at the ball and socket joints.

I had a damaged rear O2 sensor and had several O2 sensor codes including a few Permanent Codes. Some were from leaks and others were because of the damaged sensor. I decided to replace all of the sensors since I am at 50K miles.

I used Permatex 80335 Muffler and Tailpipe Sealer on all the joints. I really gooped it on pretty thick to make sure it would seal. This stuff is supposed to be good to 2000F so should hold up to the header heat. It also has some sort of fibers in it which I guess helps with strength and the heat.

When I put the headers on initially, I had used Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV. DO NOT USE THIS. It does not hold up to the heat and you could tell that it was breaking down.

It took a couple of drive cycles but all the codes cleared up on their own and the CEL turned off. Confirmed everything was good with a scan of the OBDII.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #12
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
I had kooks headers on my last car that leaksed as well, usually around the ball socket, I used the permanent stuff as well, it works great, doesn't look the greatest though, but its under your car.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote