Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 10-06-2022, 05:39 PM   #351
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Thank you for your kind words sir!

If the car starts to feel a bit too tight during rotations, don't hesitate to try Race (after you get comfy with the balance overall). Cheers and have fun in your competitions!
This^^^ I only use ptm race with square tire setup for past two years. I use sport two to warm tires first lap first. Sport 1 is to restricted. In fact in the morning coolness I use track Nannie’s all off. Rotation is very good and car feels more agile. But race in the afternoon heat us a bit better and no snap oversteer that Nannie’s off can get
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #352
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
This^^^ I only use ptm race with square tire setup for past two years. I use sport two to warm tires first lap first. Sport 1 is to restricted. In fact in the morning coolness I use track Nannie’s all off. Rotation is very good and car feels more agile. But race in the afternoon heat us a bit better and no snap oversteer that Nannie’s off can get
Very well said! PTM can be used for an advantage depending on how the tires are feeling, track conditions, temp, etc.
I like Race as it maximizes the exit speed, without provoking oversteer, or excessive tire over slip. Having said that, depending on mid corner speed (and hence grip) the rear can still come around if one is too greedy with throttle (when the car already has excessive rotation and rear has little grip). And like you, I use Race in both square and staggered set ups. I think its overall calibration is excellent, but I do understand fully if folks wish for the additional yaw management with PTM Sport 1. Some folks posted uber laptimes with this setting, but the car needs to be driven "cleaner" not to provoke the Stabilitrack too much. So a good feel of what the car is doing balance wise is a big asset here. However, even for somebody less experienced, this setting will allow the car to be pushed pretty far. But, personally, I find it a bit too tight for my liking. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:58 PM   #353
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Very well said! PTM can be used for an advantage depending on how the tires are feeling, track conditions, temp, etc.
I like Race as it maximizes the exit speed, without provoking oversteer, or excessive tire over slip. Having said that, depending on mid corner speed (and hence grip) the rear can still come around if one is too greedy with throttle (when the car already has excessive rotation and rear has little grip). And like you, I use Race in both square and staggered set ups. I think its overall calibration is excellent, but I do understand fully if folks wish for the additional yaw management with PTM Sport 1. Some folks posted uber laptimes with this setting, but the car needs to be driven "cleaner" not to provoke the Stabilitrack too much. So a good feel of what the car is doing balance wise is a big asset here. However, even for somebody less experienced, this setting will allow the car to be pushed pretty far. But, personally, I find it a bit too tight for my liking. Cheers!
And I should state this is during autocross. On exit race is good, but it sure does tell you when old tires have lost their grip and cuts power, though only briefly till they grip again. Nannies off will just kick the rear out briefly and a touch of countersteer corrects that.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:38 PM   #354
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
And I should state this is during autocross. On exit race is good, but it sure does tell you when old tires have lost their grip and cuts power, though only briefly till they grip again. Nannies off will just kick the rear out briefly and a touch of countersteer corrects that.
It is all good This car has a phenomenal balance imo.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #355
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
It is all good This car has a phenomenal balance imo.
Yep.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:10 AM   #356
mjpell

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
[QUOTE=T.... HP manual suggests that to get the most out of PTM one should just mash the gas and let PTM dole it out based on a given algorithm. This is the fastest way with any PTM on. Personally I like to be able to modulate it myself.[/QUOTE]

I knew about this, and I tried that once in turn 1 at Putnam (Race mode). Scared the crap out of me. Not sure I'll ever try it again. Sideways at well over 100mph is not really for me.

I do have quite a lot more HP than a stock '17 1LE. The car just accelerated way too much and way too fast.

At what point should you floor it? I believe I was mid-corner at that time and I just mashed the loud pedal to the floor. There was nothing smooth or graceful about that entire corner and the next corner. LOL

Last edited by mjpell; 03-28-2023 at 07:38 AM.
mjpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #357
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpell View Post
I knew about this, and I tried that once in turn 1 at Putnam (Race mode). Scared the crap out of me. Not sure I'll ever try it again. Sideways at well over 100mph is not really for me.

I do have quite a lot more HP than a stock '17 1LE. The car just accelerated way too much and way too fast.

At what point should you floor it? I believe I was mid-corner at that time and I just mashed the loud pedal to the floor. There was nothing smooth or graceful about that entire corner and the next corner. LOL
Do you drive a 2010 Camaro per your sig? If yes, it likely doesn't have the latest PTM. If your car is a newer vintage, but has tons more power vs stock, it is possible that it simply over powers the PTM calibration. That's my guess anyway. Regardless, in mid corner the car will likely experience the most yaw forces anyway and if it is already sliding sideways with poor grip things could get sketchy PTM or not. Let's not forget, that TC is not Stabilitrak, so unlike the latter it will not compensate/correct any excessive yaw angles. All TC does is minimizes tire overslip for best possible traction forward. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 11-01-2023, 08:56 AM   #358
pontiaco1

Drives: 2018 1LE
Ptm Gurus and suspension Gurus come in!!

So I have a 2018 1LE with full bolt ons and E85, been doing autocross for like 6 times and I don't understand why people say to turn off everything, meaning PTMs, in my experience my car seem to slide more with everything off, when I put it on sport 2 or race it seems to have way more bite and it won't hardly slide.
But now I got one last race for the year for autocross and I'm trying to get the most out of the car. Last to weeks I replaced all rear suspension with BMRs control arms and locked out bushings, front and rear swaybars and end links and Brand new SC3 tires alone with a GM track alignment, do you guys feel like I should turn off everything or what?

I must add that this time it will be the first time I run with the GM track alignment set up and the car is feeling much better, before GM track alignment car had -1.4 camber with 10deg toe in front and 1.3 camber and neg 5 rear.
Any suggestions??

Thanks.
pontiaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #359
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiaco1 View Post
So I have a 2018 1LE with full bolt ons and E85, been doing autocross for like 6 times and I don't understand why people say to turn off everything, meaning PTMs, in my experience my car seem to slide more with everything off, when I put it on sport 2 or race it seems to have way more bite and it won't hardly slide.
But now I got one last race for the year for autocross and I'm trying to get the most out of the car. Last to weeks I replaced all rear suspension with BMRs control arms and locked out bushings, front and rear swaybars and end links and Brand new SC3 tires alone with a GM track alignment, do you guys feel like I should turn off everything or what?

I must add that this time it will be the first time I run with the GM track alignment set up and the car is feeling much better, before GM track alignment car had -1.4 camber with 10deg toe in front and 1.3 camber and neg 5 rear.
Any suggestions??

Thanks.
Id suggest you post it in Autox section perhaps? Not sure what suggestions you're looking for exactly. Folks that track their cars usually run way more aggressive camber settings vs what GM recommends. As far as the car "sliding": under what condition? Braking, cornering, or accelerating? Understeer, or oversteer? I could write a book here (which I won't). Suffice it to say this: if you turn everything off, it is up to YOU to manage the car's balance in ALL situations. If you run PTM up to Sport 1 then Stability Control will assist in managing excessive yaw angles when cornering and Traction Control will manage any tire overslip under acceleration. If you go Sport 2 or Race, Stability Control will no longer be active. But Traction Control will still manage tire overslip during acceleration. Hope this helps ua some . Cheers!
Old 11-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #360
pontiaco1

Yes what I don't understand is why people turn everything of and they get better times when those systems are make so the car run better or is it just in autoX where the Settings are useless? Meaning this Settings are more for the car that run on big track and big long road courses?
Thanks 4 your reply
When the car slide is when give power and coming out of turns
Old 11-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #361
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiaco1 View Post
Yes what I don't understand is why people turn everything of and they get better times when those systems are make so the car run better or is it just in autoX where the Settings are useless? Meaning this Settings are more for the car that run on big track and big long road courses?
Thanks 4 your reply
When the car slide is when give power and coming out of turns
Ok, so when you experience the car sliding on exits, this is when Traction Control helps to avoid reaf tires overslipping. The benefits are twosome: 1) if the tires are slipping you aint going forward 😀 2) especially in high(er) speed turns, if you overslip the rears the car could start to oversteer very quickly (and the higher the speed the more difficult it is to catch it and recover).
So, basically both Sport 2 and Race have this covered. The Sport 2 Traction Control setting is a bit more conservative vs Race. Note, that if you are going too fast for a given corner and tire grip, you will either plow forward (understeer), or spin to the inside (oversteer) NO MATTER what your PTM is set as. But, anything up to and including Sport 1 will try to help you recover. With Sport 2 and Race you're on your own.

Now, folks that have tons of experience and can FEEL what the car is doing (at the 4 corners, meaning the tire grip levels), often prefer to control the car's balance themselves with throttle and steering. This makes the car turn faster, but only of the driver knows how to maintain the balance of it.

PTM up to Sport 1 will make the car a bit "tighter", meaning it will not turn as willingly, but should give ya a very safe platform. A lot of folks can make amazing laps with Sport 1. This is NOT a slow setting, but one where a computer measures the yaw (angle between what direction is your steering wheel telling the car to go vs where the car is actually going. The higher this ange (or difference) the more Stability Control system will intervene trying to reduce this angle (to prevent a spin).

So, for example, in a long, faster corner, an experienced driver would likely prefer to manage the slip angles themselves: if the car starts to understeer (go wider than the corner demands) the driver would reduce the throttle, which would move the weight more on the nose and make the car turn more. If the car started going too tight for the corner (oversteer), the driver would add throttle and hence move the weight onto the rears and hence permit the car to corner a bit wider. Of course the same applies in shorter, slower corners, but require faster corrections. Also, steering wheel corrections might be necessary, etc.

Bottom line, if you are still learning and feel that you slide the car too much (and going slower as a result, as that is always the case), then maybe stay in Sport 1 and see how it goes.
If you will feel (actually feel, not imagine &#128512 that the car gets "tight" and starts to resist rotation too much, than go to Sport 2, or Race.

Hope this makes sense and hope this helps. Have fun! Cheers!
Old 11-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #362
pontiaco1

Thanks for your time
Old 11-01-2023, 06:19 PM   #363
BSRacing

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok, so when you experience the car sliding on exits, this is when Traction Control helps to avoid reaf tires overslipping. The benefits are twosome: 1) if the tires are slipping you aint going forward 😀 2) especially in high(er) speed turns, if you overslip the rears the car could start to oversteer very quickly (and the higher the speed the more difficult it is to catch it and recover).
So, basically both Sport 2 and Race have this covered. The Sport 2 Traction Control setting is a bit more conservative vs Race. Note, that if you are going too fast for a given corner and tire grip, you will either plow forward (understeer), or spin to the inside (oversteer) NO MATTER what your PTM is set as. But, anything up to and including Sport 1 will try to help you recover. With Sport 2 and Race you're on your own.

Now, folks that have tons of experience and can FEEL what the car is doing (at the 4 corners, meaning the tire grip levels), often prefer to control the car's balance themselves with throttle and steering. This makes the car turn faster, but only of the driver knows how to maintain the balance of it.

PTM up to Sport 1 will make the car a bit "tighter", meaning it will not turn as willingly, but should give ya a very safe platform. A lot of folks can make amazing laps with Sport 1. This is NOT a slow setting, but one where a computer measures the yaw (angle between what direction is your steering wheel telling the car to go vs where the car is actually going. The higher this ange (or difference) the more Stability Control system will intervene trying to reduce this angle (to prevent a spin).

So, for example, in a long, faster corner, an experienced driver would likely prefer to manage the slip angles themselves: if the car starts to understeer (go wider than the corner demands) the driver would reduce the throttle, which would move the weight more on the nose and make the car turn more. If the car started going too tight for the corner (oversteer), the driver would add throttle and hence move the weight onto the rears and hence permit the car to corner a bit wider. Of course the same applies in shorter, slower corners, but require faster corrections. Also, steering wheel corrections might be necessary, etc.

Bottom line, if you are still learning and feel that you slide the car too much (and going slower as a result, as that is always the case), then maybe stay in Sport 1 and see how it goes.
If you will feel (actually feel, not imagine &#128512 that the car gets "tight" and starts to resist rotation too much, than go to Sport 2, or Race.

Hope this makes sense and hope this helps. Have fun! Cheers!
Wonderful explanation. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2023, 07:00 PM   #364
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSRacing View Post
Wonderful explanation. Thank you!
Thanks - appreciate the feedback! Cheers!