Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

View Poll Results: Should I keep the Golf R or trade it for a Chevy
Keep the Golf 26 27.96%
Get the Camaro 67 72.04%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2022, 06:43 AM   #57
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
Thanks man! Make sure you have a backup plan. Maybe just place an order somewhere else, most Chevy dealerships do refundable deposits anyways, so it's not much risk. 2023 is do or die year, so try not to put all your eggs into one basket!
For sure. I have a backup plan, and think I have a vey good chance at a SS 1LE if I don't get the ZL1 I have on order.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #58
6ixSpeed1LE

Drives: 22' SS 1LE 6MT Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
You're not wrong, I loved my E92. Wish it was a manual though, the DCT got boring. Have you driven the manual, if so, how does it compare to the Tremec in the 1LE?
I haven't driven one, from what I've heard they are pretty good, it's the typical rubbery bmw manual feel. I will say though the TR6060 in the 1le is decent, the thing I really hate about it though is how the distance from 1-3 and 2-4 is larger than 3-5 and 4-6, also how it feels when it is cold. When it is up to temp though and you are rolling it feels amazing, 3rd and 4th feel super crisp and slot in to place just perfectly. No-lift-shifting and auto rev matching are really addictive.
6ixSpeed1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:04 PM   #59
GW1776

Drives: 2SS 1LE / VW Golf R
Well, I've been driving a 2SS since Friday night to try it out. Long story short, I put my name on the wait-list at my local dealer- they told me it could be 6 months. I'm going to keep both cars for awhile and see where I end up.

For anyone interested here's my initial thoughts / comparison.

The Camaro feels like I am driving a legit race car. The one I'm driving is a rental, so I'm being respectful of the owner, but I've done a couple of (careful) pulls from stop lights and whatnot. I haven't had the guts to give it more than half the gas and it's instantly at the speed limit. I immediately want to drive this thing on a track. This car is begging to go fast.

I think the Golf may have it beat 0-45, but the Camaro does not lack any power and it just keeps going. On the freeway trying to pass there is no comparison, the Camaro just owns the road. The Golf is so forgiving with the Haldex that you can floor it and the car throws you back in your seat without any hint of an issue and zero drama. My grandmother could drive that car, it doesn't take much skill. I throw it into turns and floor the gas without ever worrying. I can see that the Camaro requires more skill and finesse to get the performance out of it and I will be taking some track-oriented driving classes to get my skills up.

The Golf is just better for day-to-day driving. It's tiny, you can zip in and out of traffic and park anywhere. My first attempt at parking the Camaro was laughable, that thing feels huge after the golf. However, it doesn't handle like a whale at all, it's incredibly responsive and handles shockingly well for a car that big.

Honestly, I'm blessed to have the chance to own either of these! I don't think any reasonable person would be disappointed in either.
GW1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #60
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
Good work finding a 2SS rental, and then evaluating Camaro for yourself. Your review and comparison are both very good, and you can't go wrong with either pick or decision. Let us know what you decide. Safe travels!
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:30 PM   #61
GW1776

Well, I just drove my new 2SS 1LE home thanks to this forum! I had 400 miles to get to know the car, and what an awesome ride it was. The 2SS I test drove didn't have the 1LE package, and it definitely makes a difference. The sound is noticeably more aggressive but the suspension / handling is a whole other animal. The way this thing handles and feels cornering is unreal. I'm not a pro reviewer so I lack the words to describe it adequately, but the thing stays level and planted into corners and I can feel the eLSD doing it's thing, that is not a marketing gimmick. Holy cr@p what a car! I was already excited to get one, this version had me thinking about bypassing home and driving across the country!
Old 09-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #62
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW1776 View Post
Well, I just drove my new 2SS 1LE home thanks to this forum! I had 400 miles to get to know the car, and what an awesome ride it was. The 2SS I test drove didn't have the 1LE package, and it definitely makes a difference. The sound is noticeably more aggressive but the suspension / handling is a whole other animal. The way this thing handles and feels cornering is unreal. I'm not a pro reviewer so I lack the words to describe it adequately, but the thing stays level and planted into corners and I can feel the eLSD doing it's thing, that is not a marketing gimmick. Holy cr@p what a car! I was already excited to get one, this version had me thinking about bypassing home and driving across the country!
Man, that is so great and I am happy you made the switch and are so happy with your new 1LE.

It's a hell of a car. Post some pics NOW!
Old 09-18-2022, 07:02 AM   #63
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Congrats on your new ride. Not sure what part of NC you're in, but we've got lots of nice back country roads throughout the state to enjoy the 1LE and several tracks w/road courses. Post some pics when you get the chance.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #64
Paulman

Drives: Slow Corolla
Congrats on the purchase!
Plenty of fun roads for you to enjoy the 1LE in NC.

You weren’t going wrong in your decision either way. I voted for you to stick with the Golf R only because of having a kid to tote around. If you can make it work with a car seat or just getting him or her in there then great!

I went from a GTI to an SS 1LE and now a V6 1LE - all have been great cars. The only knock I had on the GTI was that it needs work to be track worthy. The Camaro is a car that can be driven from the dealership to track. It’s in a different league for track performance but for every day driving you’ll get used to it and have plenty of fun. Enjoy!

Prior:
'22 Camaro 1SS 1LE
'90 Mustang LX
'18 Volkswagen GTI
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #65
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Grip for days.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:29 PM   #66
GW1776

https://flic.kr/p/2nMyLaJ

If anyone has recommendations for good roads in NC (I'm near Charlotte) or beginner-friendly tracks I'd appreciate it!
Old 09-19-2022, 04:40 PM   #67
super_sxxy322

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Congrats! While I didn't read every reply, I did read about carting a kid or two around. I have a 6 & 8 year old who get carted around. Although my car is not a daily, my daughter (8yo) just mentioned yesterday, "I love the Camaro. Especially when it holds you back in the seat and gets loud". I think we're raising her right! We have one spot we do lots of burnouts in and every time we drive it, they ask for a burnout!

As a not daily driver, I feel you on that cross-country! Every. Single. Time. my ass in the driver seat!

Ps... your days of VW's wanting to have some fun aren't over! lol
1/13 - TPW 1/31
2/9 - 3800 - BUILT!
3/2 - 4300
3/14 - 4B00
3/19 - per Chevy chat - finishing up final testing and approvals - dealership ETA 4/16/22
3/29 - 4200 - dealer ETA 4/23
4/5 - 5000 - but can't pick up for another week
4/16 - 6000 - Home Sweet Home
Daily driver... '23 Mazda CX5/Premium Plus (dealer demo)
super_sxxy322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 06:40 PM   #68
Paulman

Drives: Slow Corolla
Quote:
https://flic.kr/p/2nMyLaJ

If anyone has recommendations for good roads in NC (I'm near Charlotte) or beginner-friendly tracks I'd appreciate it!
Here’s a few ideas. The NC mountains are great:
Tail of the Dragon
Blue Ridge Pkwy
Route 49 up to Rte 64

Look up Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) down in Kershaw, SC
VIR up near Danville VA is one of the best
Take a ride down to Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) or Road Atlanta
AMP and CMP are more beginner friendly

Prior:
'22 Camaro 1SS 1LE
'90 Mustang LX
'18 Volkswagen GTI
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #69
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
Drive a Pod or drive a real car.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:58 AM   #70
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
Quote:
Congrats! Fantastic color choice too!

Did you keep the R?

Tags
golf vs camaro ss