Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2022, 08:07 AM   #15
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I'm trying one of the fender mount 2 gallon ones, they are shielded a bit better from heat, will report back with thread.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #16
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Ice tank will drop intercooler temps in a hurry… Just throwing that out there.
Mine made 50 whp more yesterday with ice than with ambient water. To me, this was always between an interchiller or ice tank.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #17
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
I'm trying one of the fender mount 2 gallon ones, they are shielded a bit better from heat, will report back with thread.
Just fyi all though a little more pain in the ass to install maybe, the Universal 5 gal tanks are 224.00 at Summit and there a 20 buck off coupon & free ship.

The stewart IC pump is 400 new on ebay 10 instock

The fittings are kinda expensive and hose is pretty cheap at place like stewart hose. also the power grip hose clamps are nice.

With the run of the hose and the tank I bet you can increase capacity to 6.5
gallon.

I was gonna do the fender and or bumper tank but, then I saw the price and the low capacity it offered and thought that was nuts and it would not be near as good as this setup for similar price.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586298

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #18
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Me too... Looking forward to seeing results.
But my original post was trying to keep the fans on, after shut down...
I think all of the underhood components will last longer if the engine bay can vent for 10min +/- after shut down...
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #19
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Just fyi all though a little more pain in the ass to install maybe, the Universal 5 gal tanks are 224.00 at Summit and there a 20 buck off coupon & free ship.

The stewart IC pump is 400 new on ebay 10 instock

The fittings are kinda expensive and hose is pretty cheap at place like stewart hose. also the power grip hose clamps are nice.

With the run of the hose and the tank I bet you can increase capacity to 6.5
gallon.

I was gonna do the fender and or bumper tank but, then I saw the price and the low capacity it offered and thought that was nuts and it would not be near as good as this setup for similar price.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586298
I've got no room really for an ice tank in trunk. Left hand side I have my JMS FuelMax hidden behind the left fabric wall, right side I have my Methanol/Water 3 gallon tank, center below where the spare tire well is I have my methanol system pump
Old 09-06-2022, 09:14 AM   #20
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
I've got no room really for an ice tank in trunk. Left hand side I have my JMS FuelMax hidden behind the left fabric wall, right side I have my Methanol/Water 3 gallon tank, center below where the spare tire well is I have my methanol system pump
Well that sucks..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #21
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Yup, here's what's available along these lines. This will only control the main PWM fan behind the radiator/intercooler, but even that should help already.

The default ECT threshold here is set pretty high at 225 °F, this is likely why the fan doesn't stay on for most people after killing the engine.
So if I want the fan to run 5 or 10 minutes after killing the engine, what parameters should I adjust, and what should I bring it down to do you think?
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #22
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
So if I want the fan to run 5 or 10 minutes after killing the engine, what parameters should I adjust, and what should I bring it down to do you think?
You're probably going to need a generator and battery charger, or a 60a battery if you plan to do a lot of this
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #23
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
You're probably going to need a generator and battery charger, or a 60a battery if you plan to do a lot of this
That's definitely a concern. So maybe just a run of a few minutes at light-ish duty to prevent needing any of that and killing the in trunk mounted battery.

Maybe not worth it all? I'd just would like to cool down things in the engine bay post shut down a little bit to prevent heat from staying in there and cooking literally everything. Lol.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 09-06-2022, 11:20 AM   #24
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I think the more practical, mechanical upgrades are the way to go. Prevent excessive heat build up during operation. Stock pulleys, increased coolant capacity and ceramic coating all of the exhaust pieces.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:28 AM   #25
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I think the more practical, mechanical upgrades are the way to go. Prevent excessive heat build up during operation. Stock pulleys, increased coolant capacity and ceramic coating all of the exhaust pieces.
I agree with you 100%... but even when i park with IAT.3's at 120-130... when I re-start 30-60 min later and they are over 160, it makes me think that if the fans stayed on for 10 min at 50% or so, it would help radiate the heat underhood faster....

I can't imagine that running the fans at 50% for 10min would hurt anything, or drain the battery to a level that would not re-start.

I don't know enough of the numbers to do the math myself...
Battery Ah capacity vs minimum CCA needed to start and the Ah useage of the fan at 50%...
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:04 PM   #26
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
I agree with you 100%... but even when i park with IAT.3's at 120-130... when I re-start 30-60 min later and they are over 160, it makes me think that if the fans stayed on for 10 min at 50% or so, it would help radiate the heat underhood faster....

I can't imagine that running the fans at 50% for 10min would hurt anything, or drain the battery to a level that would not re-start.

Battery Ah capacity vs minimum CCA needed to start and the Ah useage of the fan at 50%...
Honestly it’s really a waste of time to think about this. Even with an interchiller if you turn the car off the temps will go way up. I’ve tested this even on my setup. I’ve left the fans on a few minutes and the pump. Water temps go right back up from absorbing all the heat from the heads and rest of motor. If it’s mainly a street car then I see no reason to run the fan or the pump when you turn the car off. Even if you did. As soon as you turn them off the temps are going to go right back up from the heat coming off the motor. You may as well just start the car and drive 5 minutes and you’ll be back to normal temps. Plus the fan doesn’t do a great job pulling air through the exchanger. The fan is meant for the radiator not the exchanger. The exchanger relies on air hitting it from the front.

If your at the track. Then that’s a different story. Then a large trunk tank with ice is what you need or an interchiller. Or simply opening the hood and running a jet fan on the motor.

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #27
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post

I have seen the numbers for this fan in the past as far as amperage draw goes. If I remember correctly 100% was 70 amps, meaning 50% duty would equal 35 amps. Running that for 5 to 10 minutes would be a bit taxing for the battery unless upgraded. I would think that running this thing at around 33% duty for 5-10 minutes would be a good medium ground and you still get some decent airflow moving all that heat away. It would only draw 23 amps (techincally 23.45 amps) and would have to run for a lot longer than 10 minutes to drain a 60ah battery.

All this being said, however, I have no idea what the specs on the trunk mounted battery in our cars is so I currently have nothing further to add or contribute until I get that information.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 09-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #28
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Honestly it’s really a waste of time to think about this. Even with an interchiller if you turn the car off the temps will go way up. I’ve tested this even on my setup. I’ve left the fans on a few minutes and the pump. Water temps go right back up from absorbing all the heat from the heads and rest of motor. If it’s mainly a street car then I see no reason to run the fan or the pump when you turn the car off. Even if you did. As soon as you turn them off the temps are going to go right back up from the heat coming off the motor. You may as well just start the car and drive 5 minutes and you’ll be back to normal temps. Plus the fan doesn’t do a great job pulling air through the exchanger. The fan is meant for the radiator not the exchanger. The exchanger relies on air hitting it from the front.

If your at the track. Then that’s a different story. Then a large trunk tank with ice is what you need or an interchiller. Or simply opening the hood and running a jet fan on the motor.
So there's really no avoiding it is what you're saying and it's a fruitless venture on anything other than a track car... If that's the case then perhaps there really is no point in exploring this stuff any further and just accepting it for what it is. (No sarcasm intended btw)
737 HP/ 779 TQ