Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-08-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
2012B

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Weatherstripping by firewall

Has anyone ever removed the weather strip molding by the firewall area?

I'm just curious about the engineering behind it. Is it strictly for keeping out water from the engine bay or does a serve a different purpose like also maintaining a low or high pressure of some sort in the engine bay under speed?

I just did an experiment. I drove the car and parked it both times in the garage.

With the weatherstripping installed, after driving, I ran my hands by the lower windshield area. No heat at all escapes the engine bay from the area.

With the weatherstripping removed, there is DEFINITELY a lot of heat escaping from the lower windshield area. Enough so that my windshield and wipers are much warmer than usual.

This has me contemplating a heat extractor as a future mod. Anyone in the Oklahoma area that can help with this mod? Much appreciated.
Attached Images

2012B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:19 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Mine has been off for 2 years now. It has helped underhood temps quite a bit. Only issue is sometimes it will fog my windshield up depending on the outside temps.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:00 AM   #3
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
The front end doesn’t get nearly as light at speeds over 120 with it removed in my experience, because the air has a path out rather than coming in thru the radiator and causing lift against the hood because it has no easy escape. Went without mine for 2-3 years on the car I just traded off.

I believe the seal is there to keep fluids from coming up onto the windshield in the event of a major leak or failure.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:13 AM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Yank it. Your engine will thank you.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:51 AM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Looked into removing that rubber piece. Ended up putting the 2014 hood vent in, like others have. Even with the rain tray installed on it, lots of heat coming out of there!
Of course, you do have to cut a hole in that nice aluminum hood.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:33 AM   #6
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012B View Post
Has anyone ever removed the weather strip molding by the firewall area?

I'm just curious about the engineering behind it. Is it strictly for keeping out water from the engine bay or does a serve a different purpose like also maintaining a low or high pressure of some sort in the engine bay under speed?

I just did an experiment. I drove the car and parked it both times in the garage.

With the weatherstripping installed, after driving, I ran my hands by the lower windshield area. No heat at all escapes the engine bay from the area.

With the weatherstripping removed, there is DEFINITELY a lot of heat escaping from the lower windshield area. Enough so that my windshield and wipers are much warmer than usual.

This has me contemplating a heat extractor as a future mod. Anyone in the Oklahoma area that can help with this mod? Much appreciated.
The seal is there to prevent heat, fumes, etc. from entering the cowl opening for the HVAC.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:45 AM   #7
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
The seal is there to prevent heat, fumes, etc. from entering the cowl opening for the HVAC.
THIS ^^^^^^

Immediately behind that seal are slits in the cowl where cold air enters to be filtered by the HVAC system. Any smells or bad mojo will enter there. The filter is under the RH cowl cover if anyone wants to know.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 11:05 AM   #8
2012B

Thank you everyone. It looks like a good thing to reduce engine heat at the expense of the engine air/possible fumes entering the HVAC system. The HVAC system is something I didn't even take into account.

I'm definitely going to be looking for someone to cut into the hood for the heat extractor though. For now, I'm lifting the hood after I get home and backed into the garage. I hate that the heat is basically trapped in there.

I've done a few mods myself in my garage on jackstands like MGW shifter, 1LE front and rear swaybars, JPSS billet aluminum radius rod inserts and poly subframe bushings among many other things but I don't have any serious power tools or the confidence to cut into the hood.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012B View Post
Thank you everyone. It looks like a good thing to reduce engine heat at the expense of the engine air/possible fumes entering the HVAC system. The HVAC system is something I didn't even take into account.

I'm definitely going to be looking for someone to cut into the hood for the heat extractor though. For now, I'm lifting the hood after I get home and backed into the garage. I hate that the heat is basically trapped in there.

I've done a few mods myself in my garage on jackstands like MGW shifter, 1LE front and rear swaybars, JPSS billet aluminum radius rod inserts and poly subframe bushings among many other things but I don't have any serious power tools or the confidence to cut into the hood.
I'm not sure what the advantage is here....everything under hood was designed to live in that environment. Whats the benefit?
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:27 PM   #10
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
I'm not sure what the advantage is here....everything under hood was designed to live in that environment. Whats the benefit?
The cooler it is under the hood the less heat soak into the block or in my case supercharger. I’m doing a COPO hood at some point and hopefully the under hood temps will decrease if I can flow more air through the engine bay.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #11
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
In addition to Royal Tiger, like I said above there is a decent documented aero advantage at higher speed as well. The 14-15 SS won’t see the benefits but the earlier ones definitely do.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #12
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
First thing I tossed on mine, engine runs cooler and feels crisper especially when its 80+ outside.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:45 PM   #13
2012B

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
First thing I tossed on mine, engine runs cooler and feels crisper especially when its 80+ outside.
Thanks man. I drove the car on a 100 degree day recently and coolant temps are consistently 2 to 3 degrees cooler compared to when I place the rubber back on. It definitely helps get that hot air a place to escape.

I'll be cutting and installing a later model SS or Z/28 style hood vent soon for even better engine bay cooling. It seems like a lot of people use the 14 to 15 style vent on Vettes and other cars. Very interesting to see across other car forums.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #14
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
I have a Subaru that runs insanely hot to the point in hot weather using the ac if you got into traffic the ac started to feel cool instead of cold. I removed the rubber molding and wow ac stays cold and the car definitely runs alot better in hot weather. Night and day difference! The reason I removed it on the Camaro in the 1st place was when I 1st bought it the car sitting for a few hrs after a drive and I wanted to do something under the hood. I went to open the hood and it was as hot as if I just shut it off. I looked around and realized it was sealed up pretty well. My trans temps also dropped in hot weather too after removing it. I put it back in for the winter months, same on the Subaru.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote