Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-10-2020, 03:16 AM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
First Experience with Supercharging...

Finally was able to put my recently upgraded LT1 thru its paces and quite happy with the result.

Stock LT1 with new OEM LT4 supercharger with LT4 pump and injectors along with a Jannetty remote tune. Kudos to him for the way it drives like OEM.

It makes more boost than I anticipated (11 psi) and the 98 German octane appears to be insufficient due to slight knock in 5th gear - adding a can of Torco octane booster each tank to mitigate. I don't drive the car in those speeds daily so...

The way the engine slices thru rpm, the lack of any lag, and ripping exhaust note were the major experiences. That OEM exhaust is now evil sounding - not an underpass goes by without lowering the windows and squeezing the throttle.

I mainly wanted the upgrade for street use - the 455 HP sounds impressive, but with 3660 pounds to move around, it was a bit uninspiring on the on-ramps. I did not need it for the road courses as my skills haven't mastered the standard 1LE...I will say it is quite fun with the extra power. Risk comes with that too (165 mph laps!)

The autobahn is great fun with a downshift into 3rd and letting it rev. Unsure of the top speed as it sits (assuming it holds together), but it zipped thru the unblown top speed of 175 mph with authority!

Some question the LT4 vice Whipple/Magnuson models - mainly due to German registration challenges with modified cars, but also proven OEM reliability and it is the lighter of the options. My costs were ~$1500 less as well.

Just adding any power-adder is going to be quite an eye opener...even if it is a throw away from another enthusiast.

Thanks to the forum for all the assistance / posts we used for the upgrade!
Old 05-10-2020, 06:32 AM   #2
D3adch1ld

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Awesome to hear a satisfied fellow car owner. Around here most are unhappy with "just the OE blower", like 600+ wheel hp was nothing, really hope you get to enjoy the car tones! Need some videos if that beast ripping through beautiful Germany!

P.S. my LT4 also picks up a bit of knockand retards about 1or 2°during wot pulls, I've only done LTH, Intake, TB and tuned by VR. The 93 in my area is gotta be a bit questionable. Getting dime Race Gas Ultra to test my luck. I have heard these cars are pretty aggresive in timing, so the additive or real race gas maybe be needed.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
D3adch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Tim M

My most recent hamfistedness:

Hopefully there will be more.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Tim, from my understanding the German 98 octane is comparable to USA 93 octane or am I mistaken? I have not heard of knock at that pressure with lt4 fueling. It is unfortunate you must add torco to avoid knock, is the altitude of your region very high? I envy your Nurburgring experience, I have so many virtual laps on that track and always dreamed of doing a real lap there one day, it is on the bucket list. Congratulations on the set up.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #5
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Tim, from my understanding the German 98 octane is comparable to USA 93 octane or am I mistaken? I have not heard of knock at that pressure with lt4 fueling. It is unfortunate you must add torco to avoid knock, is the altitude of your region very high? I envy your Nurburgring experience, I have so many virtual laps on that track and always dreamed of doing a real lap there one day, it is on the bucket list. Congratulations on the set up.
11 psi on a stock LT1 will definitely generate some knock retard on 93 octane (US). The high compression ratio of the LT1 engine vs the stock LT4 engine is the reason why. I would pulley the blower to the 8-9 psi range if you want do not want to run octane booster.

Or, just put in forged pistons that bring the compression down a point...
Old 05-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
LT1ornothing

That's unfortunate Josh, I wasn't aware to octane ceiling was so low on the LT1. I do know the LT4 is lower compression and therefore raises the ceiling for 93 octane. Port injection E85 is looking like the hot ticket now.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
That's unfortunate Josh, I wasn't aware to octane ceiling was so low on the LT1. I do know the LT4 is lower compression and therefore raises the ceiling for 93 octane. Port injection E85 is looking like the hot ticket now.
That’s another reason why some E blended in is so popular, raises the octane wall. But it’s easy to run out of fuel volume with E, so always some trade offs. Adding meth or a cam that bleeds off some dynamic compression, in addition to lowering static compression, are other options too.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:04 AM   #8
Tim M

D3adch1ld: Agreed...it was something just a few years ago when 400 WHP was impressive. I've only gotten KR in 5th gear (150+) with any consistency. Hence adding octane booster to that tank when necessary (twice month, I estimate). I was hoping for a bit lower psi, but can't detune it now can we? ;-)

1LEornothing: Stuttgart is only 800 feet above sea level. Most believe 98 German = 93 US, but who knows what the 'chemical' packages consist of. The Ring is something to experience - the altitude variation is impressive!

Joshinator99: Prior to transfer I had E85 at my corner stations and my other car ran a steady diet. Amazing to have that option with ~104 octane! 5% ethanol is the rule here.

I'm still shocked at how one part can transform a car from a fun, corner carving machine to one that far exceeds my guts/skills with wheel spin on every corner exit. I was a giggling kid on the first lap...very happy Chevrolet put together such an accommodating package!

Last edited by Tim M; 05-11-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
ramairroughneck

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Sounds like a really fun setup and a great place to experience it as well
ramairroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
ss2fast4u
2018 Camaro 1ss M6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS M6/ LT4 SC
just did lt4 blower with full lt4 fuel system on 93 tuned by jannetty. Ive only had it a few days but i havent heard any knock. running similar boost at 11. made 590hp 602ft lbs
ss2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
LT1ornothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss2fast4u View Post
just did lt4 blower with full lt4 fuel system on 93 tuned by jannetty. Ive only had it a few days but i havent heard any knock. running similar boost at 11. made 590hp 602ft lbs
I knew someone out there has, have you rung it out at 150+ like Tim has? He claims it only happens on that tall 5th gear but otherwise fine 1st 2and 3rd and 4th.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Awesome, Congrats!
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #13
Tim M

ramairroughneck: The Camaro is a solid package and certainly is unique here.

ss2fast4u: Knock - I assume you won't actually 'hear' the knock. I only see it on the computer post-run. Can't say how much the pistons will take under boost.

Stefano: Your blower works as advertised - appreciate the sale.

Heater: I did not track the temps on the autobahn, but may in the future. On the track it hit 163 degrees on the IAT...long high rpm uphill accel in 4th and 5th gear. It was still making more thrust than I could use. I plan to stick with the octane booster - only required occasionally for typical driving I do.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #14
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Ok - understand that the amount of "boost" is irrelevant in regards to "knock".

The KR system will dial out any detonation long before it gets to the point where you can hear it. On a 12:1 engine under boost, if it gets preignition to the point that you actually hear it, no sense worrying about it, it needs to come apart.

Boost numbers can get that high being that if the car still has the converters and stock exhaust on it, with a stock cam it just doesn't breathe well.

The problem with the LT4 blower is that if it is pulleyed up at all is that it will generate a lot of heat, which will reach a point of no return running it on the Ring like that. Just a couple of minutes in and it will get heat soaked. However, on a stock pulley with a good tune from Ted, it should run well at WFO all day long with no KR.

The OP is kind of in a pinch being he is in Germany - he doesn't have the option to change much with the emissions situation (hence needing to run the full exhaust).

I would recommend throwing a little meth at it. A single 10# nozzle will insure octane, keep temps down, and be nothing but cheap insurance. And can be easily disabled when it has to be emissions tested.

You could set the controller to ramp in at about 4lbs of boost.